Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, November 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road
Default Question for a guy... About VSS...

i have a 96 ford f250 powerstroke and i went out to start it one day and the speedometer stopped working along with how many miles are on the truck, but when i turn on the light the guages still light up. so i remember reading some where that it could be the speed sensor or the trans. i went to drive it with the speedometer not working and the transmission wont shift is that because of the sensor. the trans was just rebuilt last summer. 1000 to 2000 top on trans so far.

Where is the speed sensor located trans or back axles and is it not shifting because of the sensor?

Will lack of a VSS signal cause an E4OD to not shift??
Old Fri, November 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Since the PCM controls automatic upshifts and downshifts then yes, a bad VSS (or related wiring) can cause a lot of problems. It is located on the top of the axle housing right above the ring gear in the center section.