Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sat, May 22nd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Whopper Junior

freeride707 is on a distinguished road
Default Early 99 tunes????

ive heard many good things about PHP and im thinking its about time i get a chip.

first off is it possible to have custom tunes on an Early 99 and get the newer updated strategies?

also when i do get tunes can they be adjusted to go along with my mods, especially with the transmission so my shifts arent too hard.

im thinking about getting the pheonix with 4tunes stock, 65hp tow, 80hp daily, and 140hp. is it worth it for me to get the 140hp tune since my injecters will only flow so much fuel? just want to have a nice race tune for when i want to show off a little and smoke some ricers
Old Mon, May 24th, 2010, 09:07 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride707 View Post
ive heard many good things about PHP and im thinking its about time i get a chip.

first off is it possible to have custom tunes on an Early 99 and get the newer updated strategies?

also when i do get tunes can they be adjusted to go along with my mods, especially with the transmission so my shifts arent too hard.

im thinking about getting the pheonix with 4tunes stock, 65hp tow, 80hp daily, and 140hp. is it worth it for me to get the 140hp tune since my injecters will only flow so much fuel? just want to have a nice race tune for when i want to show off a little and smoke some ricers
Newer updated strategies? I'm not following you but we do have tunes that work very well for the E99 trucks (albeit it's still an XLE4).

The adjustments that go along with the transmission modifications you have (unknown to me) can be taken care of with stock shift pressure settings.

You can get a decent amount of performance out of your E99 truck. You will never see an additional 140 horsepower though (you wouldn't with a 99.5-03 truck either) but it will run really well.
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Whopper Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Newer updated strategies? I'm not following you but we do have tunes that work very well for the E99 trucks (albeit it's still an XLE4).

The adjustments that go along with the transmission modifications you have (unknown to me) can be taken care of with stock shift pressure settings.

You can get a decent amount of performance out of your E99 truck. You will never see an additional 140 horsepower though (you wouldn't with a 99.5-03 truck either) but it will run really well.
im sorry i should have cleared that up i meant get the better stock settings of say a PMT1 plus your tuning. basically my tranny mods increase line pressure to firm up shifts and if the chip increases line pressure too the shifts would be extremely harsh. and what real hp/tq gains will i see from this chip? i know the early 99 is different from others. (excuse my ignorance im new to this whole tuning deal)
Old Tue, May 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

No, we can't put PMT1 tunes on an early 99 truck. If you want to find a DPC-422 PCM somewhere for sale and use it in your truck, then we can put PMT1 calibrations on your truck.

We can leave the stock transmission pressures alone in the tuning.

Real HP and torque gains on an E99 truck are usually between 80-100 HP and 160-200 ft. lbs. due to the injector and HPOP capacities.
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 05:19 PM
Whopper Junior

ok. thats what i thought but with your tuning the factory benefits of having pmt1 dont matter?

and what exactly is done to make the truck quiet on whisper mode? is it drivable in this mode? say to leave the neighborhood early in the morning etc
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 05:47 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

The Wisper mode is done by retarding injector timing. Yes, it can be drove in this setting but probably not the best thing for extended periods. I am not sure about how this program works on a cold engine, but I can imagine the smoke (white) would be considerably thicker until things warm up a bit.

Now ...........if you were using a synthetic oil the negative effect would be substantially decreased because of the oils ability to "flow" at colder temps.

These are all just my assumptions and the PHP crew would be better suited to answer this question.
Old Mon, May 31st, 2010, 06:40 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride707 View Post
ok. thats what i thought but with your tuning the factory benefits of having pmt1 dont matter?

and what exactly is done to make the truck quiet on whisper mode? is it drivable in this mode? say to leave the neighborhood early in the morning etc

The shifting with the XLE4 program we would use on your truck would be much better than stock but the deficiencies that the E99 trucks have is not fixed in the tuning.

Yes, the truck is driveable in Whisper Mode as Dave pointed out. It's not going to hurt anything but you will get a lot of white smoke with a cold engine.

Thanks Dave!
Old Wed, June 2nd, 2010, 12:51 AM
Whopper Junior

ok thanks for clearing that up. i plan on running synth, next oil change. i would mostly use the whisper mode for coming home late, not leaving early. now just to save up for a chip.
i plan on getting stock, 65tow, 80daily, 140race, whisper, and either smoke or high idle