Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, June 2nd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Its Red, not a fire truck

COFF is on a distinguished road
Help HELP, rookie needs help

Ok, have a 2001 F350 7.3L sw SD. have a beautiful purple ATS trans, that kicks like a mule 4in pipe, and some chip that i cant find.

here is the situation or multiple of situations. runing 38in tires with 456 gears on the highway at 65-70 ish i am runing at 2300-2400 rpm and 3-6 on boost.. where should i be for this speed? next my oil temp says that im at around 230-260 max when i run for about an hour or more? is that too hot? all my other temps, pyro, and colant are in normal ranges. no one can give me an good temp i should be running and if i am in the norm.

so back to the trans, if i step on it, it shifts like a porche ( not that i know what thats like, but i would imagine smooth). if i baby her and go easy, she kicks in a 3rd and od. is this normal?

last but not least.. what do i want to run for a programer once i iron out these isues?

I know a lot of questions, but any help would be nice!

Thanks and God Bless,
j.d.
Old Wed, June 2nd, 2010, 11:02 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Your boost seems normal for that RPM and tire size. Buuutttt.......

the oil temps seem pretty hot. I would expect to see them fairly close to coolant temps. I think normal operating range is somewhere between 180-210 degrees. It would be a good idea to pull the cooler and check for restrictions or just replace it, they are fairly cheap.

As for the shifting concerns it is hard to say. Have you ever pulled the PCM to check to see if there is a chip stuck in the back of it, inside the holster? Might be the first step to diagnosing it.

You cannot go wrong with the PHP chip, Bill can custom tailor the shifting for your ATS.
Old Fri, June 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by COFF View Post
so back to the trans, if i step on it, it shifts like a porche ( not that i know what thats like, but i would imagine smooth). if i baby her and go easy, she kicks in a 3rd and od. is this normal?

The transmission shifting has a lot to do with the tuning and mechanical limitations of the transmission fluid passages.

Usually, when more power is put through the transmission, the tuning will compensate by increasing fluid pressure during the shift. This increased pressure will fill the clutch housings/servo bore/etc. faster and with more force. If the transmission pressure increases begin to show less of an effect as they are raised, then mechanical fluid control becomes the issue.

As long as you don't get a long, drawn out slide into a gear, you'll be fine. The low power shifts that kick don't hurt the transmission but they can be annoying.

Most any competent tuner can fix that right up for you.
Old Wed, June 9th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Its Red, not a fire truck

COFF is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! I found a awesome 7.3 mech close to where i live, and we narowed the oil temp to the trans. we pluged in a programer, and found my oil temps running in the norm. have plans in the next week to do a trany tune up and check up on the truck.. I have all intentions of going with php for a tunner, just dont know what one would be best. Thanks again to everyone here! what a great comunity!

Semper Fi,
jc
Old Wed, June 9th, 2010, 12:08 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Oil temp high because of tranny?

Was it tranny temps that were high?

Please explain.