Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sat, June 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Whopper Junior

BigDs_2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Life Expectency

I want to order a custom tune CS, but I have one question that I can't seem to get a direct answer to. What does a programmer do to the longevity of the motor? Thanks

One other question, I forgot, how long does it take to get it?
Old Sun, June 6th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Whopper

travisunderwood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDs_2000 View Post
I want to order a custom tune CS, but I have one question that I can't seem to get a direct answer to. What does a programmer do to the longevity of the motor? Thanks

One other question, I forgot, how long does it take to get it?
It depends on what tune, how you drive it, etc. Running a daily tune or lower hp tune would be easier on your engine. I do not think there are any specific studies or reports on longevity of the motor and of course a dealer/Ford is going to say it reduces it. If you are going to go for large HP, many tweaks/mods of the engine that will affect longevity more.

It took me 1 week to get the Gryphon and it comes with 3 general tunes in it - then it took another couple of weeks to get the custom tunes, which you download and update to the Gryphon.
Old Sun, June 6th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Whopper Junior

My main concern is NOT ruining my motor. I don't know what these programmers do to an engine, other then make real HP. I want better fuel mileage and a little more power when pulling my boat. I am not interested in how much smoke I can make or if I can beat another vehicle in a race. Everybody on these sites talks about how much better their truck runs with the custom tunes, which is great, but are they beatin the crap out of the truck and then gettin rid of it for some poor fool to deal with??? I need my truck to last for quite a few more years. I've got about 117,000 on it now and it does run well. If I could get that extra power and fuel mileage, without tearin up the engine, I'd be happy.

Right now I'm getting 16-17 empty and 11-14 towing my boat. It is a dually 4x4 SC with a manual trans.
Old Sun, June 13th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Whopper Junior

Well this post has been on here a week now. One reply. I might be wrong, but it seems to me that these guys makin these programmers are gettin fat and sassy at everyone else's expense. Hard to believe that NO ONE has put a substancial amount of miles on their truck with a programmer. Either that or they don't want to admit it tears your truck up. Something else that I noticed, if someone wants to know which programmer to get there's a lot of replys. But me asking what the out come is gets nothing. Go Figure!!! I think I'll leave mine stock, other then the NAPA air filter that I put on.
Old Sun, June 13th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

The people at php are extremely busy. Trust me I've been were your at! It best to waited and you will receive the best! I have 236000 miles on my truck and I'm running the FU chip. My biggest tunes is my 80hp Eco mode for longevity. But like everyone says it depends on how you maintain and drive your truck. If your running a high horse tune and romping on it and never change your oil yes it will die.
Know will it increase longevity. Probably yes. Think about it my 80hp Eco mode is cooler tranny temps lower eggs shifts better and idle smoother. If that doesn't answer your question I'm not sure. I would recommend getting a fu chip.
Pm if you got more questions.

Ps I work on diesel locomotives. It's all about maintenance.
Old Sun, June 13th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road

I had a superchip on my 97 for about 50,000 before I came to PHP. All I can say is it has not died yet and now with the Phoenix it shifts so much better, and the extra power, not my main concern. Pulling my toy hauler, the trans is SOLID with the new tunes. Drive it like you stole it, you can break anything. Drive it like it is yours, I think longevity will not be an issue. Just my .02.

stock...
Old Sun, June 13th, 2010, 10:09 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

you will not have any longevity problems with Bill's tunes, Hopefully Cody will jump in as he is real good with the Manual Tranny trucks. That being said you have avoided the real Achilles heel which is the auto trannys. I have about 35K on a Phoenix chip and that is with my modified versions of Bill's tunes... mostly some altitude mods... 175K on the truck and no problems at all. I have towed up to 21K lbs with my truck on the 40HP tow tune with no EGT issues at all. They are busy plus Corey is getting ready to have surgery and several of us Moderators have been busy with other things in our lives so I apologize you have had to wait for a response but there is definitely no increased risk of damage to yr 7.3 with appropriate tunes installed. Now if you had a 6.0 I would definitely recommend some mods before doing any type of power increase.. as for your 7.3 go for a 4" or larger turbo back exhaut and a set of gauges. THe 6637 filter mod is great.. I have that on my truck too. you can also do the Zoodad mod to get more direct cold air flow to your filter if you want. I would get the Phoenix or FU setup for a 7.3 shift on the fly is much better than stopping and taking a few minutes to reprogram the CPU with a programmer like the CS
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's

Last edited by soutthpaw; Sun, June 13th, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old Mon, June 14th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

Lol not egg shifts I ment egts! My Droid has an auto spell check!