Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, September 14th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Bacon King

Diesel Rookie is on a distinguished road

I was going through the same issue when I was looking for a programmer for my truck (2003 7.3L).

I chose the FU2 package and am very happy. I did install a gauge pod one the pillar and am very happy. For me the analoge gages are easier to read than my buddies digital (that is only my opinion).

I also find it very convienient to be able to switch on the fly. I have been doing a lot of landscaping lately and hauling between 9-10,000 lbs of rock and concrete in a dump trailer and being able to switch between tow modes at the landfill once unloaded has been convenient. Plus sometimes it is fun to put it in 120HP race and smoke the imports.

I also like the flexibility of the chip over the gryphon for its retuning ease. Bill just sends you updates or new tunes and you can load them from home.

I currently run

1. High Idle 1100RPM (great for warmup or getting the ac going)
2. 80HP daily driver
3. 80 HP fuel sipper
4. 65 HP tow
5. 25 HP tow
6 120 HP race

I am seeing 16-17 HP around town and 19-20 on the freeway depending on driving conditions.

4" Down pipe and exhaust, Wicked Wheel, Modified Exhaust Turbo Housing, Big Head Waste Gate Actuator, PML Transmission Pan, Factory Tech Valve Body, Autometer Gage Pod, PHP FU2 Chip
Old Tue, September 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Whopper

renyren is on a distinguished road

Sounds like your truck is a daily driver. I will only put about 5000 miles a year on my truck and will mostly use it for camping with our trailer or going to the snow. I am just not sure I would switch back and fourth between 6 positions. I was hoping there would be more responses from actual people running the gryphon.
Old Wed, September 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by renyren View Post
Sounds like your truck is a daily driver. I will only put about 5000 miles a year on my truck and will mostly use it for camping with our trailer or going to the snow. I am just not sure I would switch back and fourth between 6 positions. I was hoping there would be more responses from actual people running the gryphon.
You don't have to fill all 6 positions. You can have as little as one or two and it is QUITE affordable that way.

Unfortunately, you won't get too many responses from people running any kind of programmer because they have gotten to the point where they are too expensive and too inconvenient to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Rookie
I chose the FU2 package and am very happy. I did install a gauge pod one the pillar and am very happy. For me the analoge gages are easier to read than my buddies digital (that is only my opinion).
Analog gauges ARE easier to read, it's scientific fact that the human brain recognizes physical movement a lot more readily than an increase of a digital readout. Besides, there is a certain "refresh rate" built into digital instrumentation and it's basically the delay encountered during quick input changes when the digital readout skips a few numbers on its way up that drives a lot of folks insane. It's why I won't buy a sport bike with a digital speedometer.

Sorry, renyren, I don't have any good news for you.
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 12:04 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Ren,

As Cody indicated, we don't sell very many of the Gryphons on the 7.3L because (1) they have fewer calibrations and (2) they don't have the shift-on-the-fly capability that so many people like.

The tuning for the Gryphon will be the same as that for the Phoenix (including FU and FU2) chips and we can even compensate for the unruly and undesirable calibrations for the most part.

What is boils down to is what makes the most sense for you. Yeah, the Gryphon doesn't have an analog needle to catch your eye, but it does offer visual and audible alerts (flashing display and warning beep) when certain parameters reach a predefined (by you) setting.

The folks that do run the programmer are usually quite happy with it as it fits a specific set of needs quite well. For those who prefer to be able to switch and play, the chip is a more desirable way to go.

I hope this helps.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, September 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Whopper

I will only put about 5000 miles a year on the truck and just want to get better MPG and more power for towing my 6000 lb camping trailer. I need gauges so that is why I am interested in the gryphon. I don't know how much people need to switch settings. most people say to get a chip but for the reason of being able to shift on the fly. If you can put the same tunes on the gryphon then if I want to change tunes down the road if I get a bigger trailer I can buy it and download it from your site right?
Old Wed, September 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Whopper Junior

dwdrag is on a distinguished road
Happy 7.3L Gryphon Owner

All I can say is WOW!! I have fuel sipper, extreme and max tow. Holy cow Extreme smokes the tires and max tow is unbelievable. I havent figured out MPG on fuel sipper. But, I am very, very happy. Programming doesnt take that long and its usually for the whole day. So I dont mind waiting 3-4 minutes to change. I cant recommend it enough and the gage monitoring is an added bonus. I love it!!!
Old Wed, September 30th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Whopper

thank you what year and make truck are you running it on?
Old Mon, November 9th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Whopper Junior

escs36 is on a distinguished road

i just built a truck specifically for towing, 2002 f-550. i went the gryphon because i did not think shift on the fly was necessary. i went with 20 tow 40 tow and 60 econ. i expect to put it in 40 tow and leave it there indefinetely. i tow a 40 foot toyhauler weighing 18,000#. i have another truck that is heavily modded, i went with a shift on the fly for that truck(over-rated.) the gryphon is the hot ticket in my opinion. great tunes, built in gauges. i personally got the pillar mount rather than the dash mount. i could not be happier. i honestly wish i discovered PHP for my first build. i suppose it is not too late.
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
Whopper

travisunderwood is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Ren,

As Cody indicated, we don't sell very many of the Gryphons on the 7.3L because (1) they have fewer calibrations and (2) they don't have the shift-on-the-fly capability that so many people like.

The tuning for the Gryphon will be the same as that for the Phoenix (including FU and FU2) chips and we can even compensate for the unruly and undesirable calibrations for the most part.

What is boils down to is what makes the most sense for you. Yeah, the Gryphon doesn't have an analog needle to catch your eye, but it does offer visual and audible alerts (flashing display and warning beep) when certain parameters reach a predefined (by you) setting.

The folks that do run the programmer are usually quite happy with it as it fits a specific set of needs quite well. For those who prefer to be able to switch and play, the chip is a more desirable way to go.

I hope this helps.

I have read this whole thread and left with some unclarities.

- Can both the chip and the gryphon adjust speedo for wheel size changes?
- What about the stock computer code does the chip bypass and the gryphon does not?
- will one see better MPG with the chip codes over the gryphon?
- Both options appear to do shift points, is one easier on the tranny?
- I have a 99 F250 7.3 - does the gryphon have an egt probe to read temp, or would I still need a an egt gauge?

Here are my goals:

- Driveability for highway and travel with the maximum MPG possible. Not looking for the most HP, smoke, etc.
- Light towing
- occasional 'fun' factor
- eventually will go to veggie conversion with a dual tank system
- reliability - could be taking this rig south of the border to costa rica

Truck has 141,000 on it, brand new to me. 4inch exhaust, stock injectors, k&n filter (will replace with new intake - not sure on DIY or manufactured one), 4inch lift, larger tires (spacing onthe size and it is -8 outside right now)

I am only really interested in mods that really help MPG for long distance traveling, of course some performance gains will be great.

Thanks
Travis
Old Fri, January 1st, 2010, 04:28 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisunderwood View Post
I have read this whole thread and left with some unclarities.

- Can both the chip and the gryphon adjust speedo for wheel size changes?

Neither can. The 7.3L Speedometer is handled in the by the ABS Module and must be reprogrammed with the factory service tool.

- What about the stock computer code does the chip bypass and the gryphon does not?

Correct... mostly. There are ways to use the Gryphon to reflash the PCM away from an undesirable base code.

- will one see better MPG with the chip codes over the gryphon?

If both devices are running the same tuning, there's no difference in performance or economy between the Phoenix or the Gryphon.

- Both options appear to do shift points, is one easier on the tranny?

Same tuning, same results.

- I have a 99 F250 7.3 - does the gryphon have an egt probe to read temp, or would I still need a an egt gauge?

Yes, the Gryphon comes with a Pyrometer thermocouple so you are able to monitor EGTs.

Here are my goals:

- Driveability for highway and travel with the maximum MPG possible. Not looking for the most HP, smoke, etc.

The 65 an 80 HP Daily Driver tunes are designed just for that.

- Light towing

40, 65 and 80 HP Towing tunes would be good for that.

- occasional 'fun' factor

The 100 HP Performance would be a good "play" program.

- eventually will go to veggie conversion with a dual tank system

Minor tuning changes would make better use of a "veggie" system.

- reliability - could be taking this rig south of the border to costa rica

Tens of thousands of trucks run some sort of tuning or another and are just as reliable, if not more reliable, than stock.

Truck has 141,000 on it, brand new to me. 4inch exhaust, stock injectors, k&n filter (will replace with new intake - not sure on DIY or manufactured one), 4inch lift, larger tires (spacing on the size and it is -8 outside right now)

I am only really interested in mods that really help MPG for long distance traveling, of course some performance gains will be great.

Average gains with a good Daily Driver/Street calibration is 2 MPG with some vehicles seeing 3 or better.

Thanks
Travis
Please see the above highlights. I hope these help answer your questions. Let me know if there's anything else you need answers to.

Take care and happy New Year.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!