Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, October 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Whopper Junior

alyupe11 is on a distinguished road
Default Performance Ideas

I just purchased a 02 7.3 CC 4wd DRW 6spd with 345k. The truck is bone stock. I would like to do some performance upgrades. Gauges, Exhaust, Intake, and chip. I'm going use the truck as a daily driver and for light towing up to about 10k. Suggestions on what to use and what levels for the chip programming.... O yeah I do like to play a bit my Son has a Cummins I would like to stay close to him... Thanks.
Old Mon, October 12th, 2009, 11:12 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyupe11 View Post
I just purchased a 02 7.3 CC 4wd DRW 6spd with 345k. The truck is bone stock. I would like to do some performance upgrades. Gauges, Exhaust, Intake, and chip. I'm going use the truck as a daily driver and for light towing up to about 10k. Suggestions on what to use and what levels for the chip programming.... O yeah I do like to play a bit my Son has a Cummins I would like to stay close to him... Thanks.
First of all. How much do yah want to spend?
Entry level will be approx $1K-$2K with the 4 mods listed. Not unless you find some used stuff on eBay or some place like that.
Warning: The starting of modding any vehicle will become addicting and it's a dark path to walk!
LOL's

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Don't scare the poor guy off, Lars!

As long as the truck's been taken care of for the last 345K miles, you should be alright for about anything. The only real issues that come to mind with that many miles are the valve springs, connecting rods, high pressure oil system, and possibly the injectors.

Otherwise, mod away. The only gauge you really need is a pyrometer to monitor exhaust gas temperature. Boost is a "fun" gauge and not really good for anything. Since you have a manual, you could install a temp gauge but it's not really a necessity.

I'd recommend a 40-60 HP program and an 80 HP program. The 100+ HP programs aren't really going to make any more power on a stock truck but they'll smoke more from a stop or after a shift. With just a couple of tunes, you can tow respectable weight without worrying too much about EGT and then switch to the 80 HP while daily-driving.

I always like my high-idle programs too.

The thing about having a manual-equipped truck is that you are buying power programs only.....there aren't any transmission parameters to change for specific driving requirements so you only have to decide on how safe you think your EGTs will be.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Oh Cody,
I wasn't trying to scare him off.
I was just showing an example of an entry level programming and modding price.

Sorry no offense to the OP.

Lars

Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Whopper Junior

Ok I'm not new to Diesels just 7.3's I'm looking for proven combinations that work. I'm not into spending money hand over fist if someone else has done the home work for me. My last Diesel was a Duramax with very respectable numbers 510 rwhp/1005 rwtq this was the limit on what the trans would hold on the dyno. Previous Diesel was a fire breathing 6.0 on some serious steroids I don't have dyno sheets any longer but I believe it was 620rwhp/1190rwtq...Long winded but I don't want to spend the thousands $$ on chips, programmers, turbos, and assorted diesel stuff. I just want a reliable package that will work in the every day world. I hope this clears the air a bit....
DSC_1712.jpgDSCF1562.jpg
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

Bill or Cody or Soutthpaw are the guys to get responses from then.
Them guys know the mods for real world every day driving and Cody has given you a great start.

Lars

Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 10:52 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

If you're looking for a 500 HP 7.3L and not wanting to spend thousands of dollars, then I will warn you that you are going to be disappointed.

Yes, it is easy to make a very fun, driveable 7.3L but it is impossible to make more than 400 HP without thousands of dollars.

Your best bet and PROVEN bang-for-the-buck option would be "big oil" (aftermarket high pressure oil system), GTP38R ball bearing turbocharger, good custom tuning, and a decent intake/exhaust system. This will get you in the 300-350 RWHP range pretty easily and reliably. The next step is injectors, but before you go that far, consider upgrading your short block to include forged connecting rods.

Big Oil: $600 to $2500 depending on product (Adrenaline to Stealth or Terminator)

Turbocharger: $1800

Good Tuning: $300 to $400 depending on vendor and number of tunes.

It's not necessary to have an upgraded high pressure oil system, but between having it and not will be a decent upgrade.....especially if you're on a stock HPOP now at 345K.

Good luck.
Old Tue, October 13th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Whopper Junior

Thanks, now were talking my language... 250/300 is the range I'm shooting for..
Not to aggressive but still have a little bite at the light.
Old Mon, November 2nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
Whopper Junior

bigfordmatt is on a distinguished road

i dont know if you have done any upgrades yet but i just bought a ts performance chip and havent got it in the truck yet still waiting on it to show up but it was around 300bucks and from what i read they are well worth the money i let you know shortly
Old Mon, November 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Whopper Junior

Will be pleased to know what the outcome is.