Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Wed, October 21st, 2009, 10:10 AM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road
Default Smoke Control Tuning?

I often hear Matt Robinson talking about "smoke control tables? What do they do? Limit fuel by the boost that the MAP sees?
Old Wed, October 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Exactly.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Wed, October 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Love Games?

Thanks!
Old Wed, October 21st, 2009, 08:40 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Just for the record, I've seen a tune that had 120 across the map.........

I never had the cajones to run it.
Old Thu, October 22nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
Love Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Just for the record, I've seen a tune that had 120 across the map.........

I never had the cajones to run it.
120 means? No smoke control? Full fuel from any boost range? Like a cummings? LOL
Old Thu, October 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Oh...sorry!

The Low Boost Fuel maps usually run from 30-100 (I'll guess percentage) based on MAP pressure. Going above 100 is probably going to give the same effect as youravatar.....just revving up. I have had no need to even try it.
Old Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
Love Games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Oh...sorry!

The Low Boost Fuel maps usually run from 30-100 (I'll guess percentage) based on MAP pressure. Going above 100 is probably going to give the same effect as youravatar.....just revving up. I have had no need to even try it.
So... It would just shoot as much fuel as you commanded based off of throttle input? I wish I could build my own tunes... I'd have to try that... Just to see.

I'm gonna throw a quick question in instead of starting a thread.

How much can you control as far as shifting? Would there be a way to keep your truck from downshifting too soon? In case that's not clear. Pretend you're cruising in OD, and you want to "roll into it" semi aggresively, could you keep it from kicking down a gear until you hit, say 85% throttle?

My tunes are pretty good at it, I'm just trying to figure out if that's an option.

Can you PM me where you saw that tune?

ONE MORE THING.

Could you check out my buddy RedSmokey's thread on PSN? About the trouble they're having with the injectors buzzing... You're good with that stuff aren't you?

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43155

Last edited by theSLEEPER; Fri, October 23rd, 2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 01:00 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

It was originally though to be percentage, but have since found it to be MFD limit in mg/Stroke. The PCM is normally capped at 100 mg in several places which is why we limit that particular set of table to 100. Theoretically, you can raise it higher than that as long as the other fuel tables and the main fuel control parameters are raised as well. Otherwise, the excess values are ignored.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
It was originally though to be percentage, but have since found it to be MFD limit in mg/Stroke. The PCM is normally capped at 100 mg in several places which is why we limit that particular set of table to 100. Theoretically, you can raise it higher than that as long as the other fuel tables and the main fuel control parameters are raised as well. Otherwise, the excess values are ignored.
Well geez......

Good thing you're around to set the record straight .

Nope, nothing else was changed except for SOI, ICP, and fuel pulse width (not the multiplier). All parameters were left near stock except MAX IPR. It was one of us "Sniper Gang" guys that made it if that says anything. Very little actual knowledge until early last year....nobody ever told us it was the wrong way.

Bill, thanks for all of your input! It is greatly appreciated.
Old Fri, October 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
So... It would just shoot as much fuel as you commanded based off of throttle input? I wish I could build my own tunes... I'd have to try that... Just to see. That's my guess...it was an "extreme" program.

I'm gonna throw a quick question in instead of starting a thread.

How much can you control as far as shifting? Would there be a way to keep your truck from downshifting too soon? In case that's not clear. Pretend you're cruising in OD, and you want to "roll into it" semi aggresively, could you keep it from kicking down a gear until you hit, say 85% throttle? A person can do A LOT with shift points. They're very limited by today's standards, but there is some flexibility. Yes, it's possible to have the PCM hold a gear longer before downshifting. I've never had the need or desire personally and it seems to me that most of the folks I've talked to around here HATE that the programming holds gears as long as it does anyway. By the time a downshift occurs, you're into the pedal big time and you get a near full-power downshift. You'd be amazed at how early most of my programs downshift. By the way, the "late" downshift you're talking about probably isn't due at all to changed shift functions, but because of the lack of accelerator input required to make the truck go. Shift functions are based off of accelerator pedal input and speed. When the same amount of power is being put to the ground at 10% APP with a specific program you're running that the stock program doesn't see until 75% APP, then the downshift will seem to occur later. Since by 75% APP with your tuning you are really putting some power to the ground (hopefully).

My tunes are pretty good at it, I'm just trying to figure out if that's an option.

Can you PM me where you saw that tune?

ONE MORE THING.

Could you check out my buddy RedSmokey's thread on PSN? About the trouble they're having with the injectors buzzing... You're good with that stuff aren't you? I don't make over-the-phone (or internet) diagnosis very often only because there is often a lack of communication and not all the details are there......I don't like spending other peoples' money or time if I'm not certain about something.

http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43155
See replies in RED .