Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Double Whopper

zeuss is on a distinguished road

Well it smoked like heck til warm again. Pulling chip did nothing different, just took it out of equation. Next questonis could the glow plugs be bad even though they tested good for them. Not sure how they tested them.
Zoodad
PHP stock, 40,60,80,100, and whisper
Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Usually glow plugs are only tested by putting a test light to the terminals. The clamp will go on the positive battery post and the pointy end of the light will go on the terminal for each glow plug. However, this test is pretty hit-or-miss and the proper way is to check the resistance.

My friend and I were bitten by the resistance check though about a month ago. All glow plugs tested good on a cold engine. Once current was supplied to the glow plugs though, some would go open (no continuity through them and hence no heat) and he would have a hard start and rough running once it started.
Old Fri, January 8th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
Usually glow plugs are only tested by putting a test light to the terminals. The clamp will go on the positive battery post and the pointy end of the light will go on the terminal for each glow plug. However, this test is pretty hit-or-miss and the proper way is to check the resistance.

My friend and I were bitten by the resistance check though about a month ago. All glow plugs tested good on a cold engine. Once current was supplied to the glow plugs though, some would go open (no continuity through them and hence no heat) and he would have a hard start and rough running once it started.
So what is the best way to check them. I checked them at the plug after driving 50 miles. I hate to say it, but glow plugs are the only thing that makes sense to me for this much white smoke. If I pull them, is there a chance they might be shorter from being burned so much. Thanks so far and please keep helping. I in jam and need truck.
Zoodad
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 07:06 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

They don't get "shorter". I don't mean to offend if I read that wrong.

I assume you meant "shorted". They do "wear" electrically which is the reason they don't last forever. Your truck has about 120K right? If they're the stock glow plugs (didn't read about a replacement in your original post) then I would definitely just do them because they have 120K on them.

I NEVER tell someone to throw money at something, but glow plugs are really important to the starting and first couple minutes of drivability so it's not a bad idea to do them at 120K miles. You might consider replacing the small harness under each valve cover while you're there.
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
They don't get "shorter". I don't mean to offend if I read that wrong.

I assume you meant "shorted". They do "wear" electrically which is the reason they don't last forever. Your truck has about 120K right? If they're the stock glow plugs (didn't read about a replacement in your original post) then I would definitely just do them because they have 120K on them.

I NEVER tell someone to throw money at something, but glow plugs are really important to the starting and first couple minutes of drivability so it's not a bad idea to do them at 120K miles. You might consider replacing the small harness under each valve cover while you're there.
On some of the old trctors the tips would actually get shorter, thus reducing the area of heat on plug. And yes I am kinda ignorant about diesel stuff, so thanks for being kind to me. I am probably going to stick plugs in. Like I said, injectors just dont make logical sense to me, but plugs do.
Zoodad
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Double Whopper

Well I changed the glow plugs out. The old ones all worked fine when I hooked them up to my battery charger. On the old ones only about one inch would light up compared to more on the new mtorcraft ones. Guess I will see in the morning. If you have any more ideas, please lay them out there. If the intake heater didn't work, would that cause the problem?
Zoodad
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

The truck never did this before, when started cold? This just started happening?

Another question? Does the smoking when first started only happens when it started cold? If the truck is plugged in does it still smoke? Also is it alot of smoke, or just a haze?
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Double Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
The truck never did this before, when started cold? This just started happening?

Another question? Does the smoking when first started only happens when it started cold? If the truck is plugged in does it still smoke? Also is it alot of smoke, or just a haze?
Not sure about the poug inthing, but it dumps smoke like coal train, except white. I'm gonna try leaving the plugs on longer in the morning and see what happens then.
Zoodad
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

If you can plug it in tonight, let us know if it still smokes....
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Sat, January 9th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

hayjayhorses is on a distinguished road
Default testing glow plugs

I pulled glow plugs on my '94 a few years ago with 300k miles on it (i do not know if they were originals). I did the "test light" test and all eight made the light, light up bright.

I tested each glow plug with a 12 volt jump box and infrared thermometer 4 or 5 would get to about 200* and the others turned pink just at the tip, a new one will turn red for about on inch.

I think the best way to test is to take a 100 amp amp meter and hold it rite on to of the glow plug relay, connecting the relay studs to the studs on the amp meter and then you will see how many amps the glow plus pull. Use the meter on a new glow plug so you know how many amps 1 plug pulls