Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the Power Hungry Performance Forum. We're glad that you're here! Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself!

PLEASE POST TECHNICAL and/or SUPPORT QUESTIONS in the APPROPRIATE SECTION of the FORUM

Old Tue, October 18th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Throttle Junkie

03gixxer1000 is on a distinguished road
Default Sup all, from Baltimore! Go Ravens

Getting colder, and my focus is shifting from the bike to the truck. I just got an Edge Evolution. So far I'm loving how it makes my truck run in #2 tow mode. The trans responds much more quickly and engine response seems better.

Heres the equipment:
2006 F-150
Cat back dual exhaust
2.5" leveling kit
20" Chrome HD's
Tint

Anyways, I ordered the Evo and a K&N series 77 CAI, at the same time.
Got the Evo and installed it.
I have since read on PHP forums, that installing a CAI MAY make me run lean.
Sooooooo... I am considering sending the Evo in for a Griffon conversion and maybe a few tunes.

Kinda wondering what I should do:
CAI and Evo and if I don't get "lean codes", then leave it at that...?
OR: How much more HP/TQ will a custom map in a Gryphon get me with the CAI..
Anyone have any advice/thoughts?

Thanks,
Aaron
btw, sorry about length of this post but, I'm hoping I don't have to copy and paste to another channel.
Old Tue, October 18th, 2011, 11:11 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, October 19th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Throttle Junkie

Default Re: Sup all, from Baltimore! Go Ravens

Hi 88 thx for the reply. Guess I should post my questions in the f150 forum. I think I hear crickets.

Sent from my Droid Thunderbolt.

'06 F-150
20" Chrome XD Wheels, 275/60r20 Nitto Terra Grappler, Tint, K&N 77 CAI, Cat back 2-1-2 Flowmaster exhaust, Edge EVO Programmer
Old Thu, October 20th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Well this forum isn't as active as others, but usually you get good quality answers so that is good ,
Even if you don't get lean codes, you still might be running a little lean, so Custom tunes are always a good idea. They are different than the canned, and tuned to you and your truck, so they can help out with some performance.
I would recommend selling the CAI and doing the "Gott's Mod". It will get you the same performance, or better, for almost no money at all! I would research that a little bit because with that you won't have to worry about running lean.
If you didn't know, mods dont just add hp, most HP claims are with just that mod based on stock, so if you get "15hp" from a CAI and "30hp" from an exhaust, you won't get 45hp, but something closer to 35-40. Yes the Tuner can help you realize more of that performance, but again if you can get 45hp from a tuner and the other 35-40, you are probably going to get no more than 70-80hp extra. BTW these are just my made up numbers, so don't take them for granted.
I would imagine that since you already have the exhaust, and will soon have a CAI and you have an edge, you could get 10ish more hp out of it, but you will really have to talk to Bill about how much he can get you. depending on your driving you might be able to get a few more mpg's out of it too, but again that is all up to your foot .
I hope I answered some questions for ya. don't take what I said for fact though, most of the numbers just sounded right so I used them. Feel free to keep asking questions though, I usually try and answer what I can, and if I don't know then others will
Old Thu, October 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Throttle Junkie

Tico thanks for your reply and the info. I get what you are saying about the HP claims not adding up exactly. There is only so much power you can gain by freeing up air flow. Until you get the fuel adjusted for the extra air, you are bound to make it lean. Just wish I did more research b4 I jumped on the CAI.

'06 F-150
20" Chrome XD Wheels, 275/60r20 Nitto Terra Grappler, Tint, K&N 77 CAI, Cat back 2-1-2 Flowmaster exhaust, Edge EVO Programmer
Old Thu, October 20th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Well if you are lucky you might be able to return it, or sell it on ebay or something. If you want to improve the intake over a gotts mod, you can also use a high quality drop in air filter, most people on this forum don't like oiled filters, but there are a lot of high quality paper ones out there.
Old Thu, October 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Throttle Junkie

Ahh I do have the k&n filter.... Forgot that in OP. I think I'm gonna install the CAI just cuz I'm hard headed. If I run into problems I can revert back to OEM intake and gotts mod it.

'06 F-150