Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Wed, May 5th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road
Default I made a mistake!!

ok i know i should of paid more attention but i didnt. I got a 91 performance custom tune with my SCT and when i went to one gas station i usally use(shell) when i started filling i noticed it was 93 octane. im pretty sure ive read here somewhere that it is ok to run with a higher octane. then the other day i went to fill back up at BP also after i already started filling up i noticed that it was 93 octane so..... I guess i need to get my last custom tune redone for 93. I could of sworn that it was 91 all around me but i guess that goes to show you how much attention i pay to things. So what do i have to do in order to get this done.

also i had a really bad rain that came threw and it started flooding and i needed to get somethings from the store, so i kicked it in 4x4 and i did a u-turn in the middle of the road and the truck started jerking like it didnt know what gear to be in. could this be because of the tuning because it never did that before. then agian ive only had it in 4x4 a couple of times before then. and before you ask no didnt whey threw any water because the creeks were to close to the roads so thats when i popped a U-turn.
Old Wed, May 5th, 2010, 09:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

First, don't put it in 4WD on hardball! (Even in rain!). You will naturally get the "jerky" feeling if you do. All four wheels are "biting" and they can't all turn at the same speed, especially if you are turning sharply.

Use 4WD on twisty mountain dirt roads with steep dropoffs when you want extra traction, or in mud, ice or snow, or perhaps, when "wading" a creek - but you can easily get swept away doing that, if the creek is running fast enough. Here in Airzona we have a "Stupid Motorist Law" that's been applied to idiots that try to ford running washes. 4WD is not for use in "city" driving (or even highway driving) on wet roads - you have totally screwed up handling if you use it in this case, and you can put your truck in the ditch or into someone else's vehicle!

Next, the fact that you are using 93 octane is of little consequence. You might try advancing the spark on your 91 octane tune by 1 degree, but that is about the only change that's needed. (In fact, it's NOT needed, but you might possibly get a bit more out of the gas with this spark advance.)

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, May 5th, 2010, 10:39 PM

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

As Jack posted....Its not a good idea to put it in 4wd on hard surfaces (pavement) Your driveline will hate you....but I am very surprised that you was able to complete the uturn...because they dont slip much at all on pavement in 4wd.
Old Thu, May 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM

ok thanks. so i guess you guys dont think it is worth getting the tune changed to 93 octane. also its not that i couldnt complete the u-turn just that i felt it shaking and got worried and decided to put it back in 2 wheel drive. the only reason i had it in 4x4 was because i thought there might be some of those creeks over flooded the road a little and i thought it would of been easier to get through if it was in 4x4. but ill keep all this in mind.

Thanks
Old Thu, May 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Check out the blue print under CUSTOM CALIBRATIONS: Power Hungry Performance - Gryphon™ CS & CTS - Gasoline.

Don't stress about 91 vs. 93.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Fri, May 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM

ok so i guess ill keep what i have for now. Ill just get it changed when ever i add some more stuff to the truck in the future.
Closed Thread