Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Wed, September 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road
Default One of those things that give you the heebie-jeebies

Well, yesterday I was driving around, giving a few friends a ride showing what a 7.3 with a little more air and fuel than stock can do. A few quick acceleration runs, once even hitting 75 MPH(doesn't sound that fast until you continue reading).

I then return to the house I'm staying at for a while, then head back for another class later in the day. As I'm driving to class, I'm making a turn and something isn't right, I'm turning but keep going straight. The tires were still pretty straight, so I backed out of the intersection and take a look.

I'm thinking to myself why me? Then remember the situation earlier in the day. It's not even a complete break, I've been driving for months with half of the gearbox output shaft. Just about enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. Within a few moments I get an 'I'm feeling lucky' moment despite the problem on my hands. I'm a few feet away from the curb, so I walk the 3/4 block to the house, get some help to turn the tires and move it closer to the curb, then get hauled to class. Spent part of today sourcing a correct steering gearbox(1 of 3 for the model) and get the old one out. Tomorrow the right one should be here and I'll be back up running!
Old Wed, September 15th, 2010, 04:56 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Holy hell!

You are one lucky dude, that could have been waaay worse.

Surprisingly, most of the total steering failures we see in the shop happen in parking lots and driveways.
Old Wed, September 15th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Dang, that is lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
Surprisingly, most of the total steering failures we see in the shop happen in parking lots and driveways.
I bet because thats when you do the tightest turning and turning without moving mixed with adding gas while the wheels are turned.