Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Sun, June 27th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough
Default Favorite GPS

Just curious what kind everyone uses.

I have a Garmin etrex legend that I use for kayaking and biking. I have also made use of Google maps gps coordinates to find all kinds of things from trails and fishing holes to friend's houses.
gps.jpg
Old Mon, June 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Mine's a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. I find it and the Topo maps it supports are VERY accurate.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, June 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Forum Predator

Mine supports topo maps too but I can't connect it to my computer. I bought an adapter cable but it didn't work and they wouldn't take it back for an exchange.
Old Mon, June 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road

I have a Tomtom.

just the one time i really needed it because i was lost. I couldnt get a signal. Another time I was driving in a decently big city and it was telling me to go down a one way road in the wrong direction. thank god i seen the one way sign

40 series Flowmasters, K@N CAI, Jet MAF, Troyer Under Drive Pulleys, Stainless Works Longtube headers/Hi Flow CATS w/X-pipe, Ram Air Hood G-Force, SCT X3 programmer with custom tunes
Old Mon, June 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

My Ford Magellan GPS likes to lead me astray too. So, I back up all instructions from it with a good roadmap (which almost defeats the purpose). But, since it tells me well in advance the direction of turn and what I'm going to be turning onto, it's an easy thing to check on BEFORE I get to the turn. If the instructions are correct, it's very helpful to know that I need to "keep to the right", or whatever, before a turnoff to a new road, especially when pulling the trailer.

The Garmin is a hiking GPS. I've never found it to be in error. You could use this as a driving GPS, but it has no voice commands and the screen is too small.

- Jack
Old Mon, June 28th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Forum Predator

Call me old fashion but I usually use a paper map that I print off of google maps. That has turns and distances and has never been wrong because I go through all the turns with their street view and satellite(when there is no street view or the picture was at night) to double check. I also use google to find the place I need to go and set a gps point near it. Then I enter that point into my trail GPS. I use my GPS on the river and trail so much it isn't worth having a truck only GPS. Before they had GPSs in computers the local utility companies used this specific model. I was also trained to use this one so navigating via compass or the "direct route" line is natural to me..even if there are buildings in the way.
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Whopper

Firehunter is on a distinguished road

Garmin Rino (mine is the 130)

There is a bunch of folks out here that all have these so the "automatic location updates" are very useful. Anytime you push the transmit button your location shows up on all the other people's maps.
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Forum Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehunter View Post

Garmin Rino (mine is the 130)

There is a bunch of folks out here that all have these so the "automatic location updates" are very useful. Anytime you push the transmit button your location shows up on all the other people's maps.
Thats pretty cool, wish mine had that. Instead I have to write down my current gps location and send that to someone who then enters that into their unit.
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Just curious what kind everyone uses.

I have a Garmin etrex legend that I use for kayaking and biking. I have also made use of Google maps gps coordinates to find all kinds of things from trails and fishing holes to friend's houses.
Attachment 587
I have the exact same one...its works ok, but the other one I have is a whole lot better but more money of course (Cant think of the name right now and its in the boat)