Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > The Starting Point > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions Welcome to the Power Hungry Performance Forum. We're glad that you're here! Start a new thread and tell us a little about yourself!

PLEASE POST TECHNICAL and/or SUPPORT QUESTIONS in the APPROPRIATE SECTION of the FORUM

Closed Thread

Old Tue, December 21st, 2010, 11:48 AM
Whopper

kmgordo99 is on a distinguished road
Morning all

Hey everybody,

Although this is my first post, I've been reading on the forums pretty heavily for the last few days. It's to the point that my girlfriend is yelling at me for ignoring her... But I just bought my first F150. Regular cab 4.6L STX. The guy I bought it from couldn't have taken better care of it. I'm not usually much of a mod guy for my vehicles because I like to do that kind of stuff on my own and don't have the resources to do so on cars and trucks. I just bought the stuff to do the Gotts mod and will be ordering a Gryphon later today. I'm also looking into duals, but I want to do it right the first time so I'm still looking into it a bit. Right now I'm looking at true duals with a X-crossover and a Magnaflow SI/SO muffler on each pipe. Any advice on the exhaust situation would be greatly appreciated. And to anyone else in central Illinois, I hope you're staying warm! Happy Holidays to all.

Kaleb
Old Tue, December 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome....

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, December 22nd, 2010, 02:14 AM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

Welcome, and just an fyi, Magnaflow has a DI/DO muffler with an x-pipe already inside it, so it might serve the same purpose and save you a few $$ , The only problem with exhausts in our trucks is that anything that is cat-back can only help so much... I dont know if the 4.6 is different, but the 5.4 has 4 catalytic converters, 2 per cylinder bank, and they are in series, so unless you get rid of one of those or replace both of them with some super high flow cats you will only get a limited amount of HP and mpg gains. but most people only do an exhaust for the sound anyways, so of course it is up to you. oh and btw removing a cat might be illegal in places, so I would check with an inspection guy or a cop or online to find out what the deal is. hope I helped!
Old Wed, December 22nd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Whopper

Yea, I was looking around last night for exhaust stuff on here to see which one would run better with the Gryphon, and it seems that the SI/DO actually works the same or better than true duals? I was looking into true duals because I always thought that they helped out a little more. SI/DO would be a lot cheaper to run though.
Old Wed, December 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Whopper

Gryphon was shipped today...
Old Thu, December 23rd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

sweet! no matter what exhaust you decide on the gryphon will work great! and yeah im betting that there wont be much of a difference between the exhausts whichever you choose
Old Sun, December 26th, 2010, 06:12 AM
truck # 3

60DRB is on a distinguished road

From what I've been able to find out, the only significant performance gain in the exhaust department is from long tube headers. As noted previously, that will require removal of the cat-converters. While a tuner can correct/ignore that removal issue, the law won't (ignore the removal). Some states won't even know you did this (no inspections), and other states will quickly hammer you into the ground finacially with fines, etc. You may also have to re-install the cats to resell the truck later...$$$$
Most guys seem to just install noisy cat-back systems. My understanding is that if the pipes go straight out the back, when they floor the pedal the noise shock waves rebounding off my windshield actually add 15 HP to their butt dynos.
Now if the weather would just clear/warm up, I could get my brand new Gryphon installed...
Closed Thread