Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, June 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker6040 View Post
what are your settings so i can try them out and see if it helps. im rather dumbs when it comes to this kinda stuff so please be detailed. thanks
Sure, it's not hard. For any power tune (you can "re-do" the one you're using), once you select the tune level, select "Custom Options". If you've done this before, make sure you "Reload Previous Settings", as the first step once you're in the Custom Options menu. If you've never used Custom Options, please read through my Q & A on this confusing menu here: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1101 (in fact, it would be a good idea to do it regardless).

Once you insure that your tire size and gear ratio are still correct and have all the other settings to your liking, Go to the "Part Throttle Upshift/Downshift" and "Torque Converter Lock/Unlock" choices. These change the speed at which these events happen by a small amount. As I recall, the Up/Downshift points can be adjusted +/-2, +/-3, and +/-5 mph for each gear change. I wanted mine to change at a lower speed, so I adjusted all of them to the negative maximum. Supposedly, this can improve your fuel economy a bit by getting you into higher gears sooner and keeping you there longer. I just wanted to reduce the tendency of the transmission to downshift when I thought there was still a power reserve.

I did the same thing with the Torque Converter Lock/Unlock points. These are a bit more aggressive and there are four of them (one for each gear). They can be adjusted +/-2, +/-3, +/-5 and +/-10. Again, I reset all of them to the negative maximum, hoping to keep the TC locked up longer.

It seems to have helped. I don't get the overeager unlocking on the slightest incline that I used to have.

Note these "Part Throttle" adjustments have no effect whatsoever on WOT shifts. And, since part throttle shift and TC change patterns depend on both speed and throttle position, just a little more throttle at a given speed is all it takes to cause a downshift or TC unlock if that is wanted.

Hope this makes sense.

- Jack
Old Sat, June 27th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Whopper

stryker6040 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Sure, it's not hard. For any power tune (you can "re-do" the one you're using), once you select the tune level, select "Custom Options". If you've done this before, make sure you "Reload Previous Settings", as the first step once you're in the Custom Options menu. If you've never used Custom Options, please read through my Q & A on this confusing menu here: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1101 (in fact, it would be a good idea to do it regardless).

Once you insure that your tire size and gear ratio are still correct and have all the other settings to your liking, Go to the "Part Throttle Upshift/Downshift" and "Torque Converter Lock/Unlock" choices. These change the speed at which these events happen by a small amount. As I recall, the Up/Downshift points can be adjusted +/-2, +/-3, and +/-5 mph for each gear change. I wanted mine to change at a lower speed, so I adjusted all of them to the negative maximum. Supposedly, this can improve your fuel economy a bit by getting you into higher gears sooner and keeping you there longer. I just wanted to reduce the tendency of the transmission to downshift when I thought there was still a power reserve.

I did the same thing with the Torque Converter Lock/Unlock points. These are a bit more aggressive and there are four of them (one for each gear). They can be adjusted +/-2, +/-3, +/-5 and +/-10. Again, I reset all of them to the negative maximum, hoping to keep the TC locked up longer.

It seems to have helped. I don't get the overeager unlocking on the slightest incline that I used to have.

Note these "Part Throttle" adjustments have no effect whatsoever on WOT shifts. And, since part throttle shift and TC change patterns depend on both speed and throttle position, just a little more throttle at a given speed is all it takes to cause a downshift or TC unlock if that is wanted.

Hope this makes sense.

- Jack
did you adjust the downshifts to the negitive max along with the upshifts same thing for the tc? negitive on up side and down side
Old Sun, June 28th, 2009, 12:01 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
did you adjust the downshifts to the negitive max along with the upshifts same thing for the tc? negitive on up side and down side
Yes, I did. As I just posted in another thread. Both part throttle shift and TC behavior are dependent on both speed and throttle position. At very low throttle input, the changes occur at lower speeds than they do if you are feeding the engine gas, perhaps to accelerate quicker but not at WOT. On deceleration (coasting), the shift down should happen at lower speeds too.

The intent is to keep the engine RPM as low as possible, while not sacrificing driveability. The power is still there, if I demand it with a heavier foot.

- Jack
Old Sun, June 28th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Whopper

stryker6040 is on a distinguished road

one other thing i notcied from going to the canned tune to the custom tune is the shifts seems less harsh. with the canned tune when it shifted you could really feel it almost like there was a shift kit on the truck. now with the custom tunes its a lot smoother. is this normal for the custom tune. off subject my exhuast seems not as loud
Old Sun, June 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
one other thing i notcied from going to the canned tune to the custom tune is the shifts seems less harsh. with the canned tune when it shifted you could really feel it almost like there was a shift kit on the truck. now with the custom tunes its a lot smoother. is this normal for the custom tune. off subject my exhuast seems not as loud
Bill adjusts at least three things when he sets up your shifts in a custom tune. I doubt they would match what he's set up in the canned tunes, so it doesn't surprise me it would feel different. I don't know if it's normal for it to feel "smoother"; mine simply feels "right" (and, of course, I'm used to it now).

The change in exhaust sound is probably the result of the way Bill has mapped the fueling and timing.

- Jack