Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Whopper Junior

tonyv6908 is on a distinguished road
Default Edge to Gryphon

I recently purchased my edge evolution programmer. Sadly i heard about the gryphon after the fact. My question is, how much will it cost me to upgrade my edge to the gryphon and also get a custom tune on it. I have a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 5.4L with a magnaflow catback exhaust and soon a cold air intake but not sure what one yet. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 03:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv6908 View Post
I recently purchased my edge evolution programmer. Sadly i heard about the gryphon after the fact. My question is, how much will it cost me to upgrade my edge to the gryphon and also get a custom tune on it. I have a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 5.4L with a magnaflow catback exhaust and soon a cold air intake but not sure what one yet. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Here's a link: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...read.php?t=121 I think it's worth it.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 05:04 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

X2

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Whopper Junior

How much of a difference would it make if i just upgraded to the gryphon with the canned tunes? is it worth me spending the money for the custom tunes especially with the cold air intake i and thinking about purchasing? and in you opinions what cold air intake would you go with?
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 05:28 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Your model year truck (and mine) tend to run lean with a commercial CAI and a canned tune from any source. Bill can write a custom tune that will correct this. If you buy any commercial CAI, you need custom tuning.

You can save big money and get the benefits of a CAI without the lean problem if you do a "Gotts" mod to your stock CAI. There's a thread about it and some other variations on this forum.

The Gryphon's canned tunes are somewhat better than those on the Edge, according to Power Hungry Performance. I can't give you specifics, because I have never compared the two. I use custom tunes exclusively.

- Jack
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Whopper Junior

cool thanks for all the info the way it sounds im probably just gonna purchase a CAI, do you or any1 else have any recommendations? either a roush, k&n, s&b, or any other??
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM
PHP Cheerleading Section

OneTomcat is on a distinguished road

I think you may have missed the point. Using a commercial CAI on your truck will make your engine run too lean which is NOT a good thing. If you use the "Gotts" mod, you will save some money and not run into the lean condition.
If you feel you need the commercial CAI, there are a number of threads extolling the virtues of all of them. However, it is strongly advised to have a custom tune with a programmer and avoid possible engine damage from running too lean.
Another aspect not mentioned, is a number of the CAI units can cause a drone which can be quite annoying. This can also be all but eliminated with a custom tune.

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Magellan Navigation System
Full Boar Performance SIDO exhaust
Gryphon PHP Programmer w/ custom tunes
4UCam wireless backup cam
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 10:11 AM
PHP Groupie

Nicely stated OneTomcat! You might as well take over and I'll just go back to bed!

- Jack
Old Sat, September 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM
PHP Cheerleading Section

OneTomcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Nicely stated OneTomcat! You might as well take over and I'll just go back to bed!

- Jack
No, I think we'll hang on to you for a while yet, tho we won't begrudge you a little sleep now and then. Any little bit I know has come from reading the posts that you and others have made.

Your knowledge and dedication to this site is well known and appreciated by all.

'05 F150 FX4 SCAB
K&N FIPK
Magellan Navigation System
Full Boar Performance SIDO exhaust
Gryphon PHP Programmer w/ custom tunes
4UCam wireless backup cam
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 10:21 AM
08F150LARIET

lbjailer is on a distinguished road
Default K&N

I have the K&N CAI on a 08 5.4L it doesn't make any noise until about 3000 RPM. It doesn't make any noise at idle or cruise. I remember my past CAI on my ranger with the 4.0L it would howl at idle, and it seems the humidity (weather) had an affect on just how bad it growled and yes it does get irritating after a while. But if you looking for the "hot rod" sound, the K&N does without any problems and is supposed to add 15HP and some tourque too. I'm happy with it.