Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, December 11th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

RUSTY2STUFF is on a distinguished road
Default Questions before ordering

Hello,

I'm a newbie here and have a few questions. I am planning on ordering a new Gryphon, not updating an edge.

1 When I receive a new Gryphon it sounds like it comes with Tunes updated by PHP that are different from the Edge tunes. Is that correct?

2 If I want custom tunes, but have not yet decided on my mods can I pay for the custom tunes now and let PHP know what mods I have done after I have made them and then get the custom tunes?

3 Will I need to provide a hex code before or after my order and how do I get it?

4 Will the canned tunes work ok with an intake until I install an exhaust. I am planning an a Volant or Banks.

5 If I wanted to order 2 sets of custom tunes for instance 87 perf, 89 tow and 89 perf as one set and 91 perf 91 tow and 93 perf as another. Would I be able to switch back and forth between the sets of tunes?

6 Last, Any suggestions on a dual exhaust that is not to loud would be appreciated. Not sure this is the best place for this question, but I'm here now and ...well... I'm a little lazy.

Thanks Gary

Last edited by RUSTY2STUFF; Sat, December 12th, 2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: CHANGE TITLE
Old Sat, December 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Rusty, I'll try to answer your questions "inline":

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY2STUFF View Post
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and have a few questions. I am planning on ordering a new Gryphon, not updating an edge.

1 When I receive a new Gryphon it sounds like it comes with Tunes updated by PHP that are different from the Edge tunes. Is that correct?

Slightly different. They are still "canned tunes", but Bill has improved them a bit.

2 If I want custom tunes, but have not yet decided on my mods can I pay for the custom tunes now and let PHP know what mods I have done after I have made them and then get the custom tunes?

Yes - Just say in the remarks section of the order form that you are planning mods and will finalize the order for the tunes after you decide what you are going to install. If you know how many tunes you will be getting though, go ahead and pay for them now

3 Will I need to provide a hex code before or after my order and how do I get it?

You read the hex code in the screen of the Gryphon when you plug it into your truck for the first time. You won't know the hex code until you get your Gryphon and, Bill MUST have your hex code to write your tunes.

4 Will the canned tunes work ok with an intake until I install an exhaust. I am planning an a Volant or Banks.

The best thing to do would be to wait until you get your custom tunes before installing the intake. But, if you absolutely MUST install the intake before then, we recommend you use the Level 2 Tow tune, since it's a bit richer and try to stay off full throttle!

5 If I wanted to order 2 sets of custom tunes for instance 87 perf, 89 tow and 89 perf as one set and 91 perf 91 tow and 93 perf as another. Would I be able to switch back and forth between the sets of tunes?

No, you can't. The Gryphon can only support one set of up to three tunes. To do what you are asking, you'd need two Gryphons. As a practical matter, I doubt you'd ever want that many tunes. I have two tunes - a tow tune and a performance/economy tune for when I'm not towing. I never switch "flavors" of gas.

6 Last, Any suggestions on a dual exhaust that is not to loud would be appreciated. Not sure this is the best place for this question, but I'm here now and ...well... I'm a little lazy.

I'm not an expert by any means on exhausts. 88Racing, another Mod on this forum knows quite a bit about them and he'll probably chime in.

Thanks Gary
You're welcome, and I hope my thoughts helped!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sat, December 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not an expert by any means on exhausts. 88Racing, another Mod on this forum knows quite a bit about them and he'll probably chime in.

What kind of dual exhaust?
Cat back?
Tru dual?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

Thank you very much. You guys are the best. One follow up questions to #5 and one new one.

Ok that makes sense. I can only save 3 tunes on the Gryphon at a time, but can I save the different sets on my computer and reprogram the Gryphon back and forth with the differents sets? If I decided to get another set down the road I would just like to know I could use both sets.

Are the custom tunes $30 per tune when you buy the Gryphon and $60 after that?

Thanks again,
Gary
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

Not really sure about the exhaust. I have a family member that runs a Midas, so I can have something custom bent with whatever muffler I want or buy a prebent system. I live in Maryland and I have an emisions test every other year, so I need to keep the cats, I would like dual outlets, but don't know the difference between true dual or anything else. My main concerns are noise(not to loud, but know it's there), performance and quality. And I really want something I can put on and not mess with later. I checked out the Banks system and it seems nice, but I'm not sure how loud it is.

My wife and I take long road trips a couple times a year, so noise is a big concern.

I know I'm being a little vague, but I have spent so much research time on leveling, intake and programmer I have not looked at exhaust much at all. If you can give me some suggestions and point me to good research spots that would be great.

Thanks again, you guys really are great,
Gary
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSTY2STUFF View Post
Thank you very much. You guys are the best. One follow up questions to #5 and one new one.

Ok that makes sense. I can only save 3 tunes on the Gryphon at a time, but can I save the different sets on my computer and reprogram the Gryphon back and forth with the differents sets? If I decided to get another set down the road I would just like to know I could use both sets.

Are the custom tunes $30 per tune when you buy the Gryphon and $60 after that?

Thanks again,
Gary
I have to agree with you, Rusty... those guys are awesome.

Regarding having different sets of tunes to download, we basically have 8 gasoline calibrations:

87, 89, 91, and 93 Tow
and
87, 89, 91, and 93 Performance

The 87 and 89 are similar and the 91 and 93 are similar, so when you look at it that way, you're only choosing from four basic calibrations:

87-89 Performance
91-93 Performance
87-89 Tow
87-89 Tow

Really, when you're choosing your custom tunes, you're just having to make the decision if you want two tow tunes and one performance or two performance tunes and one tow.

To specifically answer your question, no, you couldn't have another set waiting in the wings to load on because when Bill loads your tunes into Pegasus to be downloaded, the software matches up your serial number to one particular set of calibrations. The calibrations aren't saved onto your computer.

WHEW! I hope that all made sense!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

Thank you very much.

That clears it up.
Gary
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

And you're awesome too.

Gary
Old Sun, December 13th, 2009, 10:40 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Cheapest bang for your buck is cut out the stock muffler and put in a magna flow 22" body muffler SI/SO.
Or magna flow offers a 22" body muffler w/ SI/DO.
Or go with flowmaster.
Try to stick with a stainless steel muffler so it lasts longer.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, December 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Whopper aka STANK FOOT

Thank you,

I'll do a little research and figure out which one to go with.

Thanks again,
Gary