Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Sun, December 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Default Check This Out! Safe Table Saw!

Found this today!
Check it out!

$60 bucks a pop every time the blade catches.
Wonder what it would do with wet lumber?
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...ient=mv-google

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Mon, December 21st, 2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 01:37 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

That's been around for a couple years. They've done the Hot Dog test before but I'm impressed that he did his finger. I was expecting him to touch the side of the blade (where no teeth were) but after considering that the kerf on the teeth is wider than the blade body, he probably would have gotten cut if he did, as opposed to where he did touch it.

Gotta admit... Technology is COOL! At $60.00 a pop, it's well worth it. Imagine how much it costs to sew a finger back on!

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Thats pretty cool, I use to work around saws a whole lot and still do a little bit, but I haven't ever seen that before.
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road

The show "Time Warp" on The Discovery Channel had this guy on with the saw. Shooting with a 10,000 frame/sec camera, he stuck his finger into the blade. You could see a little skin come off his finger, but no cut and no blood. Takes some BIG B@LL$ to do that!
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I'd heard about this a year or so back, but I'd never seen it. Not sure I was happy to see it just before dinner either. Table saws are the tool I actually "fear". I have one, and I use it with a TON of respect.

I wonder what would have happened if he moved his finger rapidly into the blade? I suspect there would have been a bit more damage. Still, I absolutely agree with Bill, $60.00 is cheap if it saves a finger (or worse).

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 10:18 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by majek5 View Post
Takes some BIG B@LL$ to do that!
I second that. I almost stopped it when they started talking about him sticking his finger in it. I have only used a table saw once and I made made sure that blade was about a hair shorter than the wood it was cutting and I still made sure my hands were safe. I'll stick to the tools I hold in my hand...not that those can be any safer. In my experience
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Speaking from experience, usually when you get cut with anything it feels like a burn or numbness. Until you look at it and say xxxxxxxxxxxx!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Mon, December 21st, 2009, 10:48 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Speaking from experience, usually when you get cut with anything it feels like a burn or numbness. Until you look at it and say xxxxxxxxxxxx!
I've had a few where it felt like I got zapped with electricity. Otherwise a burning or numb feeling sums up the initial pain from injuries. I hate when I do something and than I feel compelled to either finish or clean up because I was embarrased or mad about hurting myself.
Old Sun, December 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Ever take off some skin with a wire wheel on a bench grinder?

OOWWWWWWW!
Old Sun, December 27th, 2009, 12:50 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Wire wheel I've done and it's not nearly as bad as a bench grinder.

One of the worst ones I've done was back when I was 17. I was working in a welding shop and had the oh-so-lowly job of buffing stainless steel welds using a Black & Decker right angle grinder and a 10" buffing wheel with polishing compound. (Cody, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about.) Anyway, this is not the most glamorous (or cleanest) job, and in the Florida summer heat it is almost intolerable. I would frequently work without a shirt because at least we were in the shade and the shirt would just be covered with sweat and make things stickier than they were already.

Well, I was working on a fairly complex set of rails one day and had just changed to a new buffing wheel as the old one had worn done the the point that it was useless. For those that don't know, the buffing wheels are layers of cloth stitched together to form a wheel about 1/2" - 5/8" thick. As they get worn in, the circumference forms a nice, smooth circle and the wheel is much more stable and manageable. However, when they are new they are circular only in a vague sense and they are really difficult to manage; In fact, they are floppy like a soggy pancake. So I am cleaning these welds and it's taking everything I can to manage the grinder because the wheel is getting caught up in the tubing. Well, it finally got tangled up enough that the grinder kicked back and the wheel caught me right across my stomach from my hip to my belly button, taking off a couple layers of skin. This was about the same as road rash, only with one major difference (as I would learn later).

I cleaned and bandaged my boo-boo and went back to work. A few days later I wasn't feeling well and my back started to hurt quite badly. The the red pee started. I go to the emergency room and they find that I have a severe kidney infection caused by blood poisoning in relation to my "accident". What I had failed to consider during my injury was that the polishing compound was essentially injected into my bloodstream and was wreaking havoc with my immune system. Polishing compound is little more that a grease paste combined with a blend of abrasives and and anti-oxidation chemicals. Surely NOT everything a growing boy needs.

I was put on IV Penicillin twice a day. Fortunately, they nurse came to the house to hook me up to the IV bag. It was amusing going around for days with an IV port (catheter) sticking out of my arm, although the interesting times would be when I forgot to take the IV bag out of the fridge to warm up before the nurse arrived. It's a very odd sensation having cold fluid running up your shoulder and into your chest. I still get chills thinking about it. When it was all over, I was back to work... a little wiser for the wear.

I have several other "horror" stories and notes from the field (like the time I had a battery blow up on me or the time we set the shop on fire), but those are for another day.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Closed Thread