Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough
Default GM Owners

You can help feeling sorry for them. Now I am not saying other makes dont have issues, but damn. The impression I get from GM is there a bunch of grumpy old men. Will they ever change? Just poor design's repeated over and over. For those who work in shop's, how may tie rod ends, ball joints, power steering hoses, front axle seals, and my favorite, FUEL PUMPS have you changed? I see GM owners dumping money hand over fist into these things only to have something else fail, leak, or whatever, everyday. GM alone probably makes up 75% of my work load, I guess I should be happy because of a little extra job security.......but jeesshh.

Sorry....rant over.
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

See signature.

Job security buddy.
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road

My brother-in-law just bought a new Buick Lacrosse. In less than 1 1/2 months it has been in the shop 4...count em...4 times. First time they had it for over a week. Something caused the engine to die, which in turn caused raw fuel to dump into the cat, which burned the cat up. What a P.O.S!!!! And, to add insult to injury, the dealer says nothing is wrong with the car. He took the $500 instead of the option to return the P.O.S in the 60 day window. Poor bastard. Govt Motors...gotta love em

stock...
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 07:54 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Since 1999:

These are issues that I have seen that have gone uncorrected/unfixed for nearly a decade. They still build a lot of these vehicles with these problems.
  • 4T60E pressure control solenoids
  • Intermediate steering shafts (cars and trucks)
  • "N" car fuel pumps
  • Blazer/S10 truck fuel pumps (at least they don't make these hunks anymore)
  • C/K fuel pumps
  • S/T Lower ball joints
  • Duramax front wheel bearings
  • 2500/3500 transfer cases (pump locating tab through housing)
  • Inner tie rod ends on C/K
  • Transmission cooler lines on 05-09 Allisons
  • Forward sprags on 4L60
  • Sun shell in 4L60
  • Rear driveshaft slip yoke on C/K (clunk/squak)
  • Daytime running light bulbs on C/K
  • Body control modules on 00-03 W cars (Impala/Monte)
  • Fuel pressure regulators on any car/truck
  • Intake manifold gaskets. 2.8, 3.1, 3.4L Coolant leaks
  • Intake gaskets 4.3L, 5.7L, 7.4L coolant leak
  • Intake gaskets 5.3, 6.0L vacuum leak
  • Oil consumption 8.1L
  • Power steering pump shaft failure 8.1L/Duramax
  • Allison converter housing bolt leaks
  • Catch all for all the programming crap that has to be redone every 3 months when GM "fixes" another drivability/emission control failure problem.

I'm not saying that every other manufacturer is infallible and never makes any mistakes. These are just what I see which is why I drive a Ford. I don't know about their repeat failures (save for the 6.0L )so I will say that ignorance is bliss.

If I worked for Ford I'd probably drive Dodges.
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Nothin' Stock

majek5 is on a distinguished road

My brother in law, another one, had a 2007 1/2 ton chevy that 3 different times, over a two year span, the battery would completely die. It would jump with no problem and be fine. Dealer found nothing wrong with the truck. He traded that one in for a 2008 3/4 ton chevy, he don't learn to quick, and had the same problem with that one too. It only happened once so far. Has anyone heard of that happening, or did he get 2 lucky trucks?

The only thing that runs good on a Dodge is the drivers mouth!

stock...
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM
BROKE

Very detailed post Cody, thanks almost forgot about the oil cooler lines, and the intake leaks which I would have to say are the most irritating on the 5.7 Vortec's, pays well though!
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
For those who work in shop's, how may tie rod ends, ball joints, power steering hoses, front axle seals, and my favorite, FUEL PUMPS have you changed? I see GM owners dumping money hand over fist into these things only to have something else fail, leak, or whatever, everyday.
Whew then I'm not crazy. I figured that was isolated to some guys I know that spend too much time playing in mud puddles. I figure if its that important to get myself across and back I'll get my kayak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majek5 View Post
The only thing that runs good on a Dodge is the drivers mouth!
Haha that is SOOO true.

Well but my dad drives a sterling company truck with the commercial cummins and he loves it. But since that is not a dodge by name I guess its ok. haha
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 11:12 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

A couple more that Cody overlooked.
Gauge Clusters.
Oil Cooler lines on any gm vehicle that has them.
Tranny cooler lines on any gm vehicle that has them.
Exhaust manifolds cracking on 5.7 + 6.0.
Intermitent Wiper controller circut board.
Transfer case shifting issues and noise.
I'm sure I'll think of some more!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Wed, January 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
BROKE

Forgot about all those too.......keep them coming.
Old Thu, January 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

99-07 Classic C/K window regulators
99-07 Classic door speakers