Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Fri, June 19th, 2009, 01:24 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about
Default Smoke Show Tuning mod

I want to keep a bit more Smoke on the upper RPM band say above 2200 to about 3200 RPM s under acceleration. the smoke seems to taper off quite a bit probably due to the 6637 intake and cold air setup. I have only used it a couple of times and it seems to do well at low RPM but tapers off later. which parameters should I change. as it's under acceleration I don't think the Low boost fueling will affect it. wondering if I need to change the Fuel Limit vs RPM map to allow more high RPM fueling as it seems the Mass Fuel Desired will already allow 125% fuelling at high throttle positions
Maybe It would be better if I drop the ICP at high RPM to get less atomization thus more Smoke.

PS for Jack, We already know your thoughts on this Tune so you don't need to add them here Besides I am doing this more as a learning experiment as I want to tweak my other tunes to get rid of the Smoke at high RPM as Its just wasted fuel. would love to be able to Floor it at 100HP and up settings and not have a smoke trail....
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Fri, June 19th, 2009, 10:48 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Short of actually losing boost, there isn't going to be enough fuel from the injectors to smoke as much as you want at higher RPM.

If you could raise your LBF to 100% across the board, put an intercooler pipe cut-out in, and stand to have zero power.......
Old Fri, September 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Love Games?

theSLEEPER is on a distinguished road

So, there's no way to inject fuel after TDC to create smoke? Or will commanding injectors open that long send overlapping signals? Just trying to butt in here and learn a little. Forgive me if I'm way off base.
Old Sat, September 26th, 2009, 10:28 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

Welcome, the best way to learn is to ask lots of questions... we are a small group here in the Minotaur forum but friendly and helpful folks

Unfortunately I have been busy with other projects this summer plus was sidelined for several weeks with cellulits in my knee along with a skull fracture and allergic reaction the the antibiotics, so I have not got to play much on this topic since I posted... you can retard the SOI but as Cody has mentioned else where on this forum, there is no single setting for SOI as it is constantly being changed by other influencing maps, parameters, sensor data etc....

So to answer your question there is plenty of ways to make smoke and most of the tunes do pretty good at it. I now have the telltale black soot stain on rear quarter panel of my truck... I actually want to try getting rid of some of the smoke on my 100hp setting as I have got pretty addicted to that one as my daily driver..... prob have to wait till winter when its too cold to work on my outdoor projects
Old Sun, September 27th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Love Games?

I wish it was easier to look at other tuner's tunes.

My "smoke" tune by DI is my favorite to drive in. It's much more smooth and quiet than the rest of them. I imagine it has something to do with a slightly delayed SOI. It's obvious that the power is not as snappy with that tune, but it seems to pull longer and harder in the top end.
Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 08:45 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

That's cuz smoke is good for torque but bad for EGT's.
Old Mon, September 28th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Double Whopper

John Anderson is on a distinguished road

Play with your pulse width tables.
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 01:00 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
Play with your pulse width tables.
I will have to try that... I want to try and get rid of the cloud on the 100HP settings
the monkey wrench in my tuning is that the computer is defaulting to High altitude settings cuz I am at 6000ft elevation so I have played with the maps for altitude a bit. I need to figure out how to get the two to work together best...
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Love Games?

Is there a way to "flatten out" all of those computer based calculations to keep your truck from taking over? I would like to be in control of what's going on a little more than that. In my opinion, the less multipliers and maps, the better. I know they're needed in some cases...

I guess I'd like my truck to run more like a 12V cummings in that there is not much that is taken away from you or added without your permission...
Old Tue, September 29th, 2009, 12:46 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSLEEPER View Post
Is there a way to "flatten out" all of those computer based calculations to keep your truck from taking over? I would like to be in control of what's going on a little more than that. In my opinion, the less multipliers and maps, the better. I know they're needed in some cases...

I guess I'd like my truck to run more like a 12V cummings in that there is not much that is taken away from you or added without your permission...
Oh yeah, you can flatten out everything from pulsewidth multipliers, SOI advance adders, injection delay, etc.

Will the truck run this way? Sure. Will it run optimally? Not until it reaches normal operating temperature.

What I'm getting at is that no matter how "complicated" the HEUI injection system HAS TO BE, the Ford engineers that programmed it and set up the myriad of tables, scalars, functions, maps, etc. KNEW that a system that relies largely on the viscosity and quality of engine oil NEEDED to have a lot of multipliers and adders to compensate.

Nearly every aspect of the engine tuning is related to or based off of oil temperature. That's where the complication comes from. If there was no "hydraulically actuated" part of the injection system, there would be far less to worry about. The basics would include:

1. Injection pulsewidth based on accelerator pedal input, boost (load), and RPM.
2. Injection timing based on RPM and boost (load).
3. Injection pressure for a given load.

That's it. (I realize there's slightly more to a CR than that but you won't find multipliers and adders for cold/hot oil.)

There are no "size" ratings of CR injectors in CC/1000. Only the flow rates of nozzles determine how much fuel you can get out of each injection event.....programmers just need to tell the PCM to keep the injector open longer. A 12V Cummins (or any mechanically injected diesel) simply flows more fuel per injection through the pump to the injector. Larger nozzles on those will flow more fuel too. Simply put, the HEUI system (while AWESOME ), isn't exactly the best or easiest platform to get insane power from.

When you get Minotaur, you will be blown away at the sheer number of changes needed to make a drivable truck.

Last edited by cleatus12r; Wed, September 30th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.