Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Tuner wannabe

DZL JIM is on a distinguished road
Default Gear ratio & tunes?

I have had a few customers ask if my tunes are set for their specific gear ratio, either 3:55 or 4:10.
I see axle ratio for all of my tunes are set to 64:1.

Is this something that should be altered per each truck?

What does 64:1 mean?

Also tire size seems to be constant, too at 65535 rev/mile. Same deal, leave it alone?

Thanks.
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 07:31 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

I have had no issues with leaving it as it is. You can change the values to the correct ones, but I saw no difference between stock and 35" tires on a customer's truck when the proper (or improper) values were used.

You can make up for the taller tires really easily by just shifting the entire shift schedule up by 2-3 MPH in each gear range. These trucks don't use the PCM for speedometer calibration anyway so it's not really that important.

The 99-up Super Duty trucks are more dependent on these two parameters though.
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Guys, I'm going to ask a question here. That figure "65535 rev/mile" seems awfully high to me. There are 5280 ft in a mile. If a tire rotates 65535 times in that distance, it only covers about 0.081 feet per revolution! You're running on really tiny tires (diameter would be about 0.31 inches)! Are you sure that rev per mile figure is correct?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Guys, I'm going to ask a question here. That figure "65535 rev/mile" seems awfully high to me. There are 5280 ft in a mile. If a tire rotates 65535 times in that distance, it only covers about 0.081 feet per revolution! You're running on really tiny tires (diameter would be about 0.31 inches)! Are you sure that rev per mile figure is correct?

- Jack
It's not correct, Jack. With the 95-97 trucks, the data given in the tuning software shows a 64:1 final drive ratio and a 65535 rev/mile. Why? I don't know but it has little to no effect on the operation of the vehicle even when correct numbers are given like 4.10:1 or 635 rev/mile. I don't think that the PCM in those trucks use that particular value when figuring shift points. The automatic-equipped Super Duty trucks are sensitive to those values though.
Old Wed, October 14th, 2009, 06:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
It's not correct, Jack. With the 95-97 trucks, the data given in the tuning software shows a 64:1 final drive ratio and a 65535 rev/mile. Why? I don't know but it has little to no effect on the operation of the vehicle even when correct numbers are given like 4.10:1 or 635 rev/mile. I don't think that the PCM in those trucks use that particular value when figuring shift points. The automatic-equipped Super Duty trucks are sensitive to those values though.
OK, I've got it now! It's really just the largest signed integer the processor can store: 2 ^ 16 -1. (I knew the number was familiar to me from somewhere). The processor is a 16-bit machine and for some reason, it's holding a hex value of 7FFF - "maxint", in that position). Doesn't look like it serves any useful purpose at all though. Wonder if the good Doctor knows anything about it?

- Jack
Old Thu, October 15th, 2009, 01:16 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The tire size and gear ratio values on the 7.3L (particularly the OBS trucks) don't do anything. The reason you are getting 65536 and 64 is because those values are pointing to "dead space" in the calibration.

As Jack indicated, the values are related to hexadecimal numbers, although those particular values are unsigned so the hex would actually be 0xFFFF (65535). However, Jack is correct that for a signed value, 0x7FFF (32767) is the max and 0x8000 (-32768) is the min.

Hole that clears it up.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, October 15th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Tuner wannabe

DZL JIM is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks for all the input.