Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road
Default Programming question

Ok so yesterday after driving about 15 miles, I stopped and decided to change the programmer to level 1 because I had about 400 miles of cruise on the interstate and no need for the higher octane gas. I still have the canned tunes right now. But heres my question when I went in to the programmer and selected the new level and hit enter,(with the ignition on) my truck beeped and I see on the digital message center it said "Check Gauges" I noticed my coolant gauge wasn't reading, but yet it was up to operation temp right before. But as soon as the programming finished it shot right back up to where it was and everybother gauge was normal.

So basically I was just wondering are all of yall seeing this while changing levels? I dont really see no problem with it, just made me a little nervous at first, and figured I would see if it normal. Thanks
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 12:28 PM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

I can't recall the beep, but the "check gauges" part happens during normal programming.

Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 01:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Interesting. I've never seen "check gauges", but I always program the PCM when the truck is cold in my garage. I notice the information center data is "wiped out" (just a series of dashes) during the process and that my trip odometer gets zeroed after the process is complete. This part's not right - see my post #12.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Last edited by Jackpine; Sun, March 22nd, 2009 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Trip odometer is not reset.
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBFX4 View Post
Ok so yesterday after driving about 15 miles, I stopped and decided to change the programmer to level 1 because I had about 400 miles of cruise on the interstate and no need for the higher octane gas. I still have the canned tunes right now. But heres my question when I went in to the programmer and selected the new level and hit enter,(with the ignition on) my truck beeped and I see on the digital message center it said "Check Gauges" I noticed my coolant gauge wasn't reading, but yet it was up to operation temp right before. But as soon as the programming finished it shot right back up to where it was and everybother gauge was normal.

So basically I was just wondering are all of yall seeing this while changing levels? I dont really see no problem with it, just made me a little nervous at first, and figured I would see if it normal. Thanks
Did you turn it to on before it prompted you to? This might be why it had the check gauges. Just a thought.

Ty

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopellimotorsports View Post
Did you turn it to on before it prompted you to? This might be why it had the check gauges. Just a thought.

Ty

No it actually happens right when I hit the enter button on selecting which level. (i.e.)So basically I get in turn key to on(truck off) hit menu,select power programing, select level one(in this case) and as soon as I hit enter then it beeps and says check gauges.

But with all this being said, as Jack stated earlier, it hasn't happen when the truck wasn't warmed up just after getting it up to operation temp. But just that one gauge no other. I dont really see a problem with it since it works, I was just curious if anyone else was having the same thing happen to them.
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 09:28 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

My guess is, this is just an "artifact" of doing it on a warm engine. Interesting though. You're the first person I've seen talk about it.

- Jack
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Just curious as I don't remember mine doing this. I must not have paid attention.

Ty

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Sat, March 21st, 2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
My guess is, this is just an "artifact" of doing it on a warm engine. Interesting though. You're the first person I've seen talk about it.

- Jack
Yea its got to be something with the engine already being warm, Im actually surprised some people that try all three levels when they get the gryphon hasn't noticed it, but which I stayed on the performance tune until just the other day.

Ty, I definitely would have never noticed if I didn't hear the beep! Thanks all for the replys.
Old Sun, March 22nd, 2009, 03:06 AM
Bacon King

Sburn will become famous soon enoughSburn will become famous soon enough

If I were to make a semi-educated guess, I would think that the "check gauges" and other observations about the intrument cluster happen when the PCM gets put into programming mode. Our >2004 instument clusters get much of their info like speed and temps from the PCM via the CAN bus. So if the PCM is busy doing something critical like getting reprogrammed, it's possible that the usual information between the two stops and the instument cluster thinks it has lost its' "mommy" --the PCM, and the ICM "cries" the only way it knows how. It all gets better when the PCM comes back to life after programming and everybody (all the modules) start talking again.

Old Sun, March 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Gone Fishin'

Dragoon is on a distinguished road

The trip meter gets wiped on a program? I am conidering picking up one of these units but I don't like that. I record my mileage and gas consumption religiously. And as forgetfull as I can be I would never remember to record it before a re-program.