Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1994˝ to 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped F-Series and F-Super Duty

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue, February 9th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Whopper Junior

lms is on a distinguished road
Default Problems - Hope you can help!

My name is Luke, and I have a 1994 F350 Powerstroke with a ZF 5sp. I am working in Iowa, but alas my truck is sitting in my driveway in Minnesota because I can't get it started. Before it wouldn't start, it had been running poorly due to the EBPV malfunctioning (hissing and simultaneous power loss) and lord knows what else. In fact, shortly before it wouldn't start, it seemed to have lost a cylinder as well. The next time I go home I would really like to tear into it and get its issues resolved.

Now for the questions:

I believe that the first step to solving my truck's issues is to determine the no start cause. I assume the fastest and easiest way to do this would be through a diagnostic scan tool. From the research that I have done thus far, I have concluded that the 1994 model year's pcm is not OBD II compatible. Is this correct? If this is correct, is it true that you (PHP) can "reflash" '94 pcms to make them work with OBD II scan tools such as AE's tool? How much would it cost to "reflash" my pcm to a '96 or '97 pcm?

Also, once I get my truck running again, I would like to buy a pheonix chip as well. Simply loading a stock tune in the chip would not be the same as "reflashing" and it would not allow me to interface with a scan tool correct? I ask because of this were correct, I could skip sending in my pcm to be reflashed and simply buy the chip.

If you can think of any other comments or paths to point me down please share them.

Thanks for the help!

Luke