Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Wed, July 29th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

no tax on out of state

only comes in grey, I have an XL and it matches some of the lighter greys of the interior.

I think you should add aftermarket stuff but I dont think its going to make a difference. The canned tunes are the canned tunes.

I think I read somewhere that its $60 afterwards(might be wrong), but I went ahead and bought one $30 87 performance because I know there are things that Bill can change that I cant, plus he knows what he's doing so the truck wont turn into a fireball if I mess up.

You can adjust some things like shift points and limiters. But like I said, I'd leave it to Bill to make those kinds of changes. I like fast but not explosion fast.

On the order form you can choose which ever one to replace, Im gonna replace the lvl 1 because sometimes I run that 93.
Old Wed, July 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymudder08 View Post
thanks, the answers i was lookin for. so the tuner is 400 plus tax and shipping and w/e tunes you want if you get them? and on the pod, where does it mount and what colors does it come in? on the site it looks like it mounts where the grab handle goes. on the order, do you need to add in what aftermarket stuff and what kinda driving you do if your not gettin custom tunes? how much are the custom tunes at time of ordering/after the fact down the road? i think i saw $30 for when you buy it but cant find the price for after the fact. can you adjust the settings of the canned tunes or is it all preset besides tire size? why should i leave the 93 if i dont ever use that fuel? i figured id leave the 2nd tune and replace the 1 and 3 one
Tunes are now $30.00 each no matter when you order them.

If you click on this link: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...02004-2008.pdf You'll get the manual for the 2004-2008 Gryphon. That's my Gryphon on the cover! On page 11 and 12, you'll see how it mounts (but the pictures are of an older unit and pod. The new one is much nicer.) For the 2004+ year trucks, the pod matches the flint grey color used in MOST of the dashes. If yours is tan, it won't match.

You can put as much or as little information about your truck on the order form as you'd like. As a minimum though, PHP needs to know the year of your truck if all you're getting is the canned tunes, since the device changed for 2004+ trucks. You'd better include your name and address and payment information though, or you won't get anything.

You can adjust settings in the canned tunes the same as you can for custom tunes. Before you do that though, "read the flippin manual"! And, read and re-read the Q & A I posted on Custom Options here: http://dygytalworld.ehost-services13...ead.php?t=1101

You can replace ANY of the canned tunes that you want - whatever blows air up your skirt! You NEVER want to run 93 octane? Fine! Replace it with whatever you WANT to run! I simply figured it was more likely that I MIGHT try that tune sometime in the future than a #1 Tranny only tune, and, I'd already replaced my canned tow tune with a custom tow tune since I tow.

- Jack
Old Thu, July 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Zach

kymudder08 is on a distinguished road

thanks, cleared much more up!

heres some custom tunes i was thinkn about getting AFTER i get the mods:
the daily driver/smart driver tune like you said
87 tow tune
87 performance tune

do you guys think that should be alright? and on that tow tune if i tow more or less than that 6k trailer would it be ok? cuz most of my towing is of my 15x5 ft trailer w/ 1-2 800 lb ea ATVs. and if i understand correctly the best thing to do when i actually have the programmer is never mess w/ major settings other than tire size and rev/speed limiter so that i dont mess anything up? and all i gotta do is follow the instructions and just select what mode and thats it?

is there any way that its possible to store canned/custom tunes on a computer? that way they could be backed up in case i need to restore. and what does that tranny tune do besides adjust shift points? like does it improve driving and mpg? and a performance tune is to make the truck run its best when just driving normal? thanks guys
Old Thu, July 30th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Forum Predator

I'd get the 87 performance unless you know your going to be towing really heavy stuff. 2000# for the ATV's and gear should not be a problem with your truck. That load even a ranger can do easy, if your going to need a tow tune it'll be for towing 4000+ often (IMO). I've read a few threads here that discuss weights but I dont remember which ones so maybe someone else will jump in.

On saving it to your computer, I dont have a clue but I think it would be a really good idea. lol
Old Thu, July 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Whew! You sure took me up on the question department, didn't you?

I want to be sure I understand: If you tow, you're towing something in the 6000# range, right? As long as you stay fairly close to that, say +/-1000, you're fine with a single customized tow tune. If you were to "regularly" tow something in the 3000# range, I'd probably get a second tow tune for that.

Now, the other tune(s). You'll probably find, like I did that you only need one. The one that works for you when you're not towing. I'd call that the daily driver tune. Unless you are in the habit of going out on Saturday nights and challenging young bucks to drag races off of stop lights, I don't think you really want a "performance" tune of that nature. The daily driver tune is your performance tune. Just tell Bill what you want from it, i.e., good passing performance, improved fuel economy, "reasonable" power out of a stop, nice shift feel, etc. (My vibes are telling me this is kind of where you're at - if not, tell Bill!)

So if you only end up getting two tunes, don't fret! That's one more than Ford gave you!

The tranny tune mostly makes the transmission work better. I don't know if it does much else. Its improvements are included in the other tunes.

Bill's custom tunes DO take care of all the major stuff, including Tire Size and Gear Ratio if you tell him what they are. You change things at your own risk. If you'd like him to change the speed limiter, tell him what you want it set at. He'll set the shifts and the max RPM. Following instructions is always a good idea.

I don't know of any way to "save" your tunes on your hard drive. I understand your concern, but Bill can always put them on the server again if you need them. They have to be loaded through Pegasus.

- Jack
Old Thu, July 30th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Zach

if i tow the 6k trailer its once or twice a month during the warmer months. mostly ill just tow the small trailer w/ atvs, which my 4.0 ranger pulled quite easily w/ a 3" body lift and 33x12.50s. so i figured just the canned tune would be alright. id prolly keep the canned 87, and scrap the other 2 for a daily drive tune and a towing tune for the big trailer. maybe replace the canned 87 with 87 performance but idno. ik i ask alot of questions, i just dont wanna get in over my head and be confused. i like to learn new things and how they work. lol
Old Thu, July 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Forum Predator

Its good to ask questions and this is the best forum to do it. There arent ever any stupid arguments because people here actually have a clue and are smart enough to act correctly.

On towing its hard to say if the custom tune is worth getting. You just have to think about if it will pay for itself or not. That tune can only work as good as the hardware its controlling. With how I look at the towing part, twice a month and there are at least 6 warm months that might be about 10-12 times a year you'd use it. Or thats how it is over here at least, the times where its below freezing are usually only a few days, maybe weeks but those years are rare. lol I'd call Bill and explain the situation to him, he'll know what the best option is.
Old Fri, July 31st, 2009, 04:20 PM
Zach

yea, im on a couple other forums that are like this one. everyone gets along (for the most part, lol.) i was just mainly worried about the tranny and not gettin horrid gas milage while pulling. id have to ponder on the 6k lb tune but itd be a def for the daily driver and 87 performance tune after i got tires/CAI/exhaust.