Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Sun, June 7th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Whopper Junior

MrSub is on a distinguished road
Default Edge 15050

I just recently bought an Edge Evolution and love it. I went to update it the other day and got and error in the middle of it. Now it won't work. I am thinking about upgrading it to an Gryphon so when I do more stuff to my truck it will be ready for the custom tunes. Anyway is there anything I can do to get it back to the way it was. Will edge charge me to fix it? If so can I just send it in to PHP and have them upgrade it. THanks
Old Sun, June 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Since you posted this in the 97-2003 section, I'm guessing you have a pre 2004 truck? If that is the case, PHP is not upgrading those units to Gryphons at this time due to problems with the OBDII cables. If Edge ever gets the cable problem ironed out, they will offer the upgrade again.

And, it's possible your problem is related to the cable. However, it's kind of hard to tell from your post.

Were you trying to update the firmware using Fusion? Have you talked to Edge Tech Support about the problem? People have given good feedback on Edge's support lately, so I'd give them a try if you haven't.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer

Last edited by Jackpine; Sun, June 7th, 2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Fixed two stupid typos!
Old Sun, June 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Whopper Junior

I have not talked to Edge yet because they are closed. I was in the middle of updating the unit via the USB cable over the net. That is where I got the error. When I plug it into my truck it just lights up. Nothing comes up on the screen and when I try to update it again via USB it says it is in Run mode or corrupted memory.
Old Sun, June 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Hey MrSub,

Jack's right about the upgrade. Until further notice, we're neither selling nor upgrading 97-03 Evos/Gryphons. There has been an issue with the OBDII cable that Edge is working on. About 1/2 of the cables we've sold recently have had to be replaced, and we don't want to risk it pooping out during a programming session.

As soon as Edge figures out the solution, we'll be happy to add it back to our product list!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Sun, June 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSub View Post
I have not talked to Edge yet because they are closed. I was in the middle of updating the unit via the USB cable over the net. That is where I got the error. When I plug it into my truck it just lights up. Nothing comes up on the screen and when I try to update it again via USB it says it is in Run mode or corrupted memory.
OK, all is not lost. DO talk to them. I'm sure they can talk you through a repair that will have you up and running again.

One note: Bill recommends that unless you are having problems with the unit, that you do not try to update the firmware in the Edge. In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

- Jack
Old Sun, June 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Whopper Junior

Do you give new cables for the truck when you upgrade them or use the ones that come with
Old Sun, June 7th, 2009, 08:14 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Is it the cable for the usb update or the cable for the truck that is junk.
Looks like we were posting at almost the same time. It's the OBDII cable that's the problem, but, even if yours seems ok now, there's no guarantee it will continue to function properly. And, PHP does not want to take "ownership" of the warranty on faulty cables. (They also don't want to sell faulty equipment).

- Jack
Old Mon, June 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Whopper Junior

Called Edge today and they fixed it online for me. Won't do that again. THanks for all the help guys. Will be checking back often to see if you guys will update to the gryphons again. Thanks
Old Mon, June 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Called Edge today and they fixed it online for me. Won't do that again. THanks for all the help guys. Will be checking back often to see if you guys will update to the gryphons again. Thanks
Good! I thought they'd be able to get you going again. Their Tech Support has really improved in the last six months or so from the posts I've been reading. I think it's good to let them exercise it to show them there IS a need, and to keep the load down on our Mad Doctor.

- Jack