Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light
Default 97-03 Gryphon

A lot of people have been unhappy with us for discontinuing the Gryphon for 1997-2003 F-150s. We had been replacing about one out of every two OBDII cables for our customers in recent months.

Yes, it's inconvenient for the cable to stop working, and yes, it gets expensive to ship cables back and forth, but that was not the reason we made our decision. Bill was concerned that the cable might stop working during a programming session (which happened with only one of our customers) and render a truck disabled.

I read this thread a few minutes ago: http://www.f150online.com/forums/chi...le-tuning.html

Seems that Bill knew what he was talking about.

We will be happy to offer the 97-03 Gryphons again as soon as Edge isolates the cable problem. In the meantime, we offer the SCT X3 and Phoenix Modules for these vehicles.

for understanding!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 10:09 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I was wondering when you were going to find that one!

Just to let you guys know, you made the right call.

I would have brought it to your attention sooner but it involved edge and not php.

F150online mobile is good but not that good. Can't see what year truck is and you can't start a thread. Sorry a little venting there.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 10:36 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I hadn't read that post either. I absolutely agree you made a good call on not selling those units.

I wonder if Bill knows which end of the cable is the problem? And, if you can find the problem circuit with a continuity meter? I'm sure these are very tiny conductors, and the internal connections are probably pretty fragile too.

And, I wonder if "wiggling", "pushing" or otherwise "distorting" the cable at the bad plug end might reestablish the circuit long enough to return the PCM to stock? It was what I suggested, anyway. I've found this approach sometimes works on similar, low voltage, digital connections.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, June 9th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I hadn't read that post either. I absolutely agree you made a good call on not selling those units.

I wonder if Bill knows which end of the cable is the problem? And, if you can find the problem circuit with a continuity meter? I'm sure these are very tiny conductors, and the internal connections are probably pretty fragile too.

And, I wonder if "wiggling", "pushing" or otherwise "distorting" the cable at the bad plug end might reestablish the circuit long enough to return the PCM to stock? It was what I suggested, anyway. I've found this approach sometimes works on similar, low voltage, digital connections.

- Jack
Well, at least that seems more productive than my idea -- run them over with our trucks.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019