Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Inbred Oregonian

orygunf150 is on a distinguished road
Default Shift firmness and timing questions

The first few of many questions... running in level 3 I adjusted the shift firmness to 5 and noticed it shifted a little better. Lookes like it goes to 25, is there an issue with this? Has anyone here tried it? I have a 67 Mustang with a c4 and trans go shift kit, it will bark the tires in second gear no problem. I'm sure the f150 wont do that but I'm wondering what it shifts like at 25 and if it's advisable.
Secondly, the manual (which by the way is pretty vague) says you can bump up the timing for every octane number you go up. Does level 3 already advance the timing or can I bump it up a little since I run 92.
Old Sat, February 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

The 91+ octane tune DOES advance the timing, but since you are using 92 octane (where the heck do yu get this grade?) you cn add 0.5 degrees to the timing. I've seen people say they've increased shift firmness up to +10, but not particularly beyond that. You can try changing it as much as you want, but I'd do it in stages, not all at once.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
The 91+ octane tune DOES advance the timing, but since you are using 92 octane (where the heck do yu get this grade?)

- Jack
I am actually running 92 octane right now, good bit of places around here have it, shocks me to see.
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Whopper Junior

04b&glariat4x4 is on a distinguished road

we have 93 octane purty much everywhere around here...
Old Sun, February 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Whopper

blackfx4ny is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=orygunf150;3698] running in level 3 I adjusted the shift firmness to 5 and noticed it shifted a little better. Lookes like it goes to 25, is there an issue with this? Has anyone here tried it? I have a 67 Mustang with a c4 and trans go shift kit, it will bark the tires in second gear no problem. I'm sure the f150 wont do that but I'm wondering what it shifts like at 25 and if it's advisable. [QUOTE]

I have my WOT shift firmness set at +12 for the 1-2 and the 2-3 shifts. The 3-4 shift is +6. The only issue I have had so far with this is belt slippage shifting at 5200 rpm. I put a Gatorback serpentine belt on and this has alleviated the problem. I would listen to Jack's sage advice and only go up in small increments to find something that works best for you. I like the way it shifts at +12 so never bothered going any higher. It's firm but doesn't sound/feel like any damage is being done.
Old Mon, February 16th, 2009, 04:50 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Belt slippage is all to common during full throttle shifts. Between the aggressive nature of the shift strategies (especially when customized) combined with the reduced/eliminated torque reduction during shifts causes the engine RPMs to drop so fast that the alternator pulley breaks traction and squeaks for a split second. Annoying, but not harmful. As BlackFX indicated, a new belt will eliminate that problem.

Outside of that, Jack indicated a .5 degree adjustment for each bump in octane. This is a good rule of thumb. Ultimately, you need to use your judgment. Some vehicles will run a full 5 degrees advance and run fine on pump gas, other can experience detonation running the basic tunes. It depends a lot on fuel quality, altitude, engine condition, and other factors. If you hear ANY detonation at all (generally under heavy load) then back the timing off 1 full degree at a time until it goes away.

Shifting is kind of the same way. It's a very subjective thing to describe shifting and each person has their own idea of what an "ideal" shift strategy is. In the end, do what works best for you. Some people prefer an aggressive shift while others just like a little firmer shift. Some like late shift points, others like early shift points. It's tricky to get the customer what they need.

We try to make the programmer as flexible as possible without giving too much room to cause a problem with the vehicle. Again, using your best judgment is the way to go. If you're still uncomfortable, we're here to answer those questions.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Whopper Junior

mellowyellow is on a distinguished road

sorry to jump in but i am new to this site . i have a ? about the timimng as well .i have custom tunes from bill and i am running the 93 performance .i want to know if i can adjust the timing up a lil bit without hurting the truck. i run 93 octane in it all the time
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 03:45 PM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

The timing all depends on the quality of fuel. In many cases, you can add a degree or two without problem, especially if you are at altitude. Just make sure to listen for any signs of detonation, particularly at low RPM/high load conditions where detonation usually occurs. If you stomp the throttle from a dead stop and get any rattling/detonation, then you have too much timing and need to back off the timing until the rattle stops... and then back off 1 more degree to allow for temperature fluctuations.

Obviously, this is not the best method to go adjusting timing but if you decide to make minor adjustments it is the best you can do.

Take care.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Whopper Junior

mellowyellow is on a distinguished road

thanks bill i adjusted it up by one degree and didnt hear anything
Old Fri, February 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

How in the heck did I miss the post about belt slippage? It's interesting, when I first got Bill's custom tunes and had a reason to do a WOT shift (during a passing maneuver) I heard the squeak and thought it was something in the transmission, not the serpentine belt in the engine!

I had never heard this squeak using the canned tunes that were in the Edge before it was upgraded to a Gryphon.

At first, I was kind of worried, but then decided maybe things were OK (since Bill wrote the tune and "he MUST know what he was doing").

- Jack