Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed, April 4th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Whopper Junior

jtbowen31 is on a distinguished road
Default Leaky Up-pipes?

Hi everyone,
I am trying to diagnose a couple issues with my truck, a late 99 7.3 6 speed with 212k miles. Over the last few months, I have noticed my truck is starting to smoke more than usual under heavy acceleration when the rpms are under 2k. When I installed my chip last year, my towing tune was pretty much smoke free, and my daily driving tune would give off a slight haze. Now they both give off pretty good (but small) dark clouds, with the towing tune being a little worse. I have also noticed the engine drone has gotten quite a bit louder in the cab, and my wife thought she heard a pinging noise from the passenger's side. I haven't noticed any changes in performance, my mileage hasn't gone down, and my boost and egts haven't changed. All the intake boots are tight also. Since the truck has become much louder and I can't find any other exhaust leaks, it makes me think the up-pipes are done for. Are there any other things I might not be thinking of?

My other question relates to cold starts. When I go to start the truck after it has been sitting over night, it seems like it cranks a little longer than it used to, and it has been giving off white smoke for ~15 seconds after start up. It has always smoked when it has been cold out, but these have been 60-70 degree mornings. Maybe it is nothing to worry about, and the truck still runs great. I have just heard these might be signs of the injectors wearing out, so I thought I would see if anyone else has any ideas, and if there is anything I can do about it short of buying a new set of injectors.

-Jordan