Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Sun, May 10th, 2009, 05:44 PM
442w30

442w30 is on a distinguished road
Default Surging at light acceleration

Hello everybody, I just received my Gryphon and am really impressed "But" have a question on surge. On very light acceleration 3rd gear TC not locked the truck will slightly surge, not really a lot but just enough to get your attention. Once TC locks surge goes away. My 08 5.4 is stone stock using level 2 87 tow setting. I have not changed any of the settings, it is the way it came out of the box.

Was thinking about unloading and just trying level 1 Trans only to see if it still does the same thing ( I mean surge).

John.
Old Sun, May 10th, 2009, 06:37 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

DO try it on Level 1, John, and let us know what happens. I've never experienced this in my truck, not with the original canned tunes or now with custom ones. I wonder if the TC is sort of trying to make up its mind to lock or not? Your excellent description does seem to point to the transmission though.

Are you in drive when this happens, or do you have the O/D locked out, so it's prevented from going into 4th? The only time I lock my O/D out is going up steep hills where it "hunts" or going down when I want engine braking.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Sun, May 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Whopper

08F150 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442w30 View Post
Hello everybody, I just received my Gryphon and am really impressed "But" have a question on surge. On very light acceleration 3rd gear TC not locked the truck will slightly surge, not really a lot but just enough to get your attention. Once TC locks surge goes away. My 08 5.4 is stone stock using level 2 87 tow setting. I have not changed any of the settings, it is the way it came out of the box.

Was thinking about unloading and just trying level 1 Trans only to see if it still does the same thing ( I mean surge).

John.
I had the same problem with my 08 5.4 when I got my evolution using the canned tunes. On the #3 canned tune it was real bad. I have noticed also that I can simulate the same surge even with the stock tune but not as noticable. Bill has made some tunes for me and I don't get the bad surge I had with the canned tunes but I can still get it to slightly surge. I have been wanting to call Bill about it and see if he can figure out whats causing it. I Know its not the tunes cause I can get it to happen with the stock tune also. It feels like the torque convertor is slightly modulating on and off. The rpm will slighty go up and down(about 100 rpm) I have a roush off road exaust and I can hear it when it happens. See if you can get it to happen with the stock tune. I found the best way to get it to happen was going up a slight incline with light throttle in third gear.
Old Sun, May 10th, 2009, 10:08 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Nice bit of information, 08F150, good post!

- Jack
Old Sun, May 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
442w30

Tried it in level 1 and no surge. I live in San Diego and can go from sea level to over 4000 feet in about 30 minutes. I experience this going up the winding mountain roads in level 2. Just had my truck reflashed by the dealer for TSB for the rev up mystery shift just before installing the gryphon. Reflash had fixed the factory problem so I cannot point at factory settings, went up the same grade in stock, level 1 and level 2 and only felt the surge in 2. Will fill up with 91 octane in a couple of days and switch to level 3. I already know I want to get a 87 performance, the tow does what it is supposed to do and that is hold the gear longer but I think the performance tune may be more to my liking for every day driving. I do over 40,000 miles a year. Like this product A LOT!!!!! will give PHP a call after I have tried the 91 performance tune just so I have as much information for them as possible.
Old Sun, May 10th, 2009, 11:17 PM
PHP Groupie

Glad you like it and it sounds like you're going to put it to good use - like I did. With it, I could suddenly pass without the heart-stopping delay. My trailer pulls felt "routine", and, I got better fuel economy.

Since I hve two batteries in the trailer and a refrigerator, I appreciate the voltage readout, and, of course the TFT readout when towing. I also like the digital readout of CHT, since that's what really matters. The Comm Gear readout confirms what I'm feeling, and helps me select the proper gear shift position and O/D on/off selection when I'm towing.

- Jack
Old Sun, May 10th, 2009, 11:18 PM
442w30

Hi JackandJanet, I have gone up this same grade for 25 years and it is not so extreme that I have ever needed to lock out OD, have had 5 5.4's since 97 with the same 3.73 and 2 with the 3 valve so I have a pretty good idea how these trucks run. Surge is only in the 87 tow, like I said I will try the 91 perf as soon as I suck about 35 gallons out of my 36 gallon tank.

John.
Old Sun, May 24th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Whopper

08F150 is on a distinguished road

Hey 442w30 was wondering if you have tried the 91 tune yet and if there are any surging issues?

Last edited by 08F150; Sun, May 24th, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old Mon, June 8th, 2009, 11:05 AM
442w30

Just got back into town and yes the surge is evident on level 3. I switched back to level 1 after 3 tanks of 91 octane on level 3, about 90 gallons so I know there was no octane dilution. Just saw another post regarding the surge but I do not have a FFV truck. I did get a reflash before installing the Gryphon from the dealer for mystery shifting and that did solve the problem completly (mystery shifting not the surge). Yes it does feel kind of like the TC is confused under very light load.
Old Mon, June 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

Are your RPMs jumping up and down?