Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Whopper

dchamberlain is on a distinguished road
Gryphon vs Edge on a stock truck

I looked at the FAQ's and read through all of the messages in this forum and I don't think I saw this discussed.

I have a 2004 F-250 with a 6.0L diesel and a ZF6 manual transmission. My driving patterns are about 49% highway with no load, 49% forest service roads and cow trail crawling, with no load, and 2 or 3 trips a year to my Mom's or somewhere else hauling a 3k pound Lance slide in camper, which I'd like to sell and upgrade to a small (~20ft) 5th wheel or bumper pull.

I have the Edge Evolution model EEF1200. Other than that, and the coolant filter, I have no other mods and I doubt I ever will. The truck stock moves everything I've ever asked of it without any difficulties, and I'm pretty happy with it's performance.

That being said, is their an advantage to the Gryphon's canned tunes vs the Edge's canned tunes, given that I have no mods. I might be interested in the fuel sipper custom tune, but I don't think I'd need any performance tunes or special towing tunes, unless the towing tunes got me better fuel economy without effecting my towing power.

Also, I live at 4300 feet and my forest service and cow trail crawling takes me up to 8000 or more sometimes. I don't know if that would have an effect on tuning.

The price of having my Edge updated to the Gryphon is attractive, to say the least. But I need to know if there is enough of an advantage, with a stock truck, to make it worthwhile.

Thanks,
David Chamberlain
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Whopper

TJ05FX4 is on a distinguished road

Canned tunes on Edge and Gryphon are exactly the same. The only difference in the Gryphon is the ability to have custom tunes and of course the color of the unit itself.

With your driving needs, I would think you could benefit quite well from custom tunes, even on a relatively stock truck. Custom tunes can take into account your altitude, towing habits, driving style, road types, etc.

I don't think there is ever an instance where you won't notice a bigger difference with a custom tune versus the canned version.
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Whopper

dchamberlain is on a distinguished road

What tunes would you recommend? Obviously, I think I'd want the Fuel Sipper tune. And a tune that would give me a little extra edge when hauling the camper, or trailer if I can go that way some day.

If I understand it correctly, it costs $35 to upgrade my Edge to the Gryphon, and the $30 per custom tune?

Thanks for the reply, BTW.
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 11:57 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

With the 6.0 I would absolutely think about opening up the intake and exhaust as basic mods even with your current programmer setup. if you don't have a diesel emissions requirement where you live...
the better the engine can breathe the cooler your EGT's will be and the better off the whole truck will be
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 03:56 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Wasn't this the engine that was "detuned" by Ford as a way to avoid warranty claims? If so, you lost power and economy. I can't believe a custom tune wouldn't be even better than a canned tune. For one thing, it could be optimized for the altitude (and speeds) you drive at.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Fri, April 24th, 2009, 05:32 PM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

If the FICM has been updated then Yes Jack you are correct. there are a couple of posts here about FICM and reflashing that Bill can do. so the OP could read those... it was a real MPG killer. most people saw a couple MPG drop after the update.
Also should read the PSD forums about replacing the head studs. the original ones are prone to stretching and causing head gasket leaks.... I tell ya it would be nice to have a one piece hood on the ford like on my 4700 International.. made doing the head gaskets real easy on that truck
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's