Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, March 16th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Gryphon CTS

shotgun will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907DAVE View Post
Positive.
Dave,
I don't think the 2004 has a real (meaning analog) oil pressure gauge.

Oil (Idiot) Gauge - F150online Forums

Factory manuals here: http://www.motorcraftservice.com
Old Fri, March 16th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

When Cody gets sarcastic there is a good chance he is right but unable to prove it, which only requires you doing a pressure test. Shotgun posted a great link that needs to be read. It is a short, one paragraph post that only takes about 30 seconds to read.

Nobody is giving you the answer because when people order tuning to cover up mechanical problems the finger always gets pointed at the tuner expecting them to pay for repairs. The excuse is always "tuning caused the part to fail," it could never be a deteriorating part that got pushed beyond its limits. I've seen it posted a few times here and I'm sure PHP has had countless emails that none of us will ever see. Tuning does not work as a bandaid for mechanical illnesses. Just humor everyone and get the pressure checked.
Old Fri, March 16th, 2012, 09:06 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
When Cody gets sarcastic there is a good chance he is right but unable to prove it, which only requires you doing a pressure test.

Dude, you're pretty intuitive about my personality even though we've never met.

Being a Chevy tech up until early 2010, I was only familiar with the variable cam timing of a couple 3.1L engines and the ever-popular Trailblazer (affectionately called a "Failblazer" by those of us in the 'biz) systems that were hit-and-miss.

I realize that Ford systems work in a similar fashion, but I haven't had the pleasure of being around (and especially not working on) any of Ford's newer vehicles. Variable cam timing has it's place, and Ford made sure to design their engines' flow characteristics around all of the variables now present with a camshaft that can alter it's timing relationship to piston position. By fixing the cam timing (and I know that Trailblazers use the variable exhaust cam timing to negate the need for EGR), emissions will increase in certain parts of the operating range and it is very possible that a loss in performance will be experienced in certain load/RPM ranges.

Does anyone remember a story a while back about the changes made to the cam timing that Bill was doing for noisy (drone) intake systems and how it really affected the output of the engine?

To the OP:

Yes, it's entirely possible to control variable cam timing through the tuning we do through the Evolution/Gryphon platforms. I'm not versed in it though so the only thing I offer you do is hope that Bill responds to this thread or email him directly for a straight answer on what he's willing to do remotely.
Old Fri, March 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
Are you sure that the factory oil pressure 'gauge' isn't a switch and not a true analog gauge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun View Post
Dave,
I don't think the 2004 has a real (meaning analog) oil pressure gauge.
Guess I did not understand your first post.

Yes, the factory gauge is a switch and not an actual "gauge".
Old Fri, March 16th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Whopper Junior

blueovalandy is on a distinguished road

It is well documented that the Ford phasers (especially the early ones) had major design defects. It is also well documented that the 5.4 3 valve oil system is marginally adequate to keep up with the requirements of the phasers. I am not attempting to "cover up" a problem with MY truck, but correct a design problem in the way this engine was engineered.

I don't expect everyone to be familiar with this specific issue that Ford had with one of their worst designed gas engines. The fact is, I am not breaking new ground in planning on locking out my cam phasers, but it seems that I am breaking new ground when trying to use a Gryphon to program it.

Fortunately for all of us, Bill at PHP knows his stuff. I was able to get him on the phone today and it looks like we are going to be able to work out this problem. He was familiar with the F150 3 valve phaser problems that many people (again not just me) have been dealing with. Perhaps, my experience will give other F150 owners options when trying to fix what was simply a bad design.

Andy