Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Old Mon, August 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough
Default Truck trade a good idea?

Hey all,
I have had a for sale sign in my truck for a bit now because my wife doesn't like the truck, almost nobody has noticed it or said anything until this morning.
A neighbor just moved in and saw the for sale sign and asked me if I would be willing to trade him his truck with cash for my truck. his truck is a 2004 F-150 FX4 with 130k on the frame and only 90k on the engine. The original owner didnt change the oil so it had to be replaced. Everything else about the truck seems ok to me but I have only seen it today. it is a crew cab with the short bed. the tires are almost brand new and it has a hitch and a bed liner.

What does anyone think about a trade and how much should I ask in cash to cover the price difference?
Let me know, thanks
Old Tue, August 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Make sure your wife likes it first.
Old Tue, August 7th, 2012, 09:32 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Yes, I'd say if you are trying to sell your truck because of your Wife's dislike, it doesn't make sense to get a new (and used) truck. What kind of vehicle does she like?

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Tue, August 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Grown-up in training!

She has her mustang, she likes cars and not trucks in general. She doesn't like how big my truck is, height and length wise, and I have convinced her that I will always want a truck, and a 150 will always be smaller than a 250 so she said that she will be ok with a 150.
I would definitely drive it for a bit and have a good mechanic check it out before I make any deal.
I am not sure if I could make a trade and make it beneficial to me at all, unless he gave me at least 3k in cash along with it, and even then I'm not sure if it would be worth it to me.
Old Tue, August 7th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Double Whopper

superdutynick is on a distinguished road

Man... sorry to hear that. I actually had the opposite happen. I was looking at 150's a while back to see if it would be more economical with me new job and much longer commute. My wife said she didn't want me to trade in for anything smaller If anything she thought I should get a 350 next... she liked that they sat up a little higher . I am with longshot on this one... make sure your wife is with you on the test drive. If she is unhappy with the 150 keep the superduty!

2005 F250 Lariat; CC LB; 6.0 PSD; Edge CTS w/ PHP custom tunes; EGR Delete; ARP Studs; 4" Turbo Back (no Kitty) w/ 4" straight thru muffler; Rev-X; FICM programmer
Old Tue, August 7th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Grown-up in training!

Thanks, and she will for sure be there, I used to have a 2005 F-150 extended cab with a 6.5 foot bed and she drove that, same length overall, so she knows how the truck feels... or at least she knew how it was .
The guy is my neighbor, so I think I could test drive it a few times if I wanted, and she could even do it without me. Another benefit is his truck is an automatic so when we have kids it will be easier to drive. but it is the 5.5 foot bed so I am not sure if I want that small of bed.
Old Wed, August 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
Thanks, and she will for sure be there, I used to have a 2005 F-150 extended cab with a 6.5 foot bed and she drove that, same length overall, so she knows how the truck feels... or at least she knew how it was .
The guy is my neighbor, so I think I could test drive it a few times if I wanted, and she could even do it without me. Another benefit is his truck is an automatic so when we have kids it will be easier to drive. but it is the 5.5 foot bed so I am not sure if I want that small of bed.
I'm no parent but having the crew cab will be nice with kids. You can stuff them back there when they get too antsy to keep at home. You can also get one of those bed extenders to bring it out to the same size as a 6.5 foot bed with the tailgate closed.
Old Wed, August 8th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Grown-up in training!

That is why we want the crew cab, the 150's is a little shorter so loading a kid into a carseat should be easier, and I hadn't thought about a bed extender on the short bed. I will definitely do that if we get this truck... but I am thinking that it won't happen. Too many questions about the truck and I am not sure if I will get enough to make it worth the trade. I will need to talk to the guy more about his truck and his reasons before I do anything else, also I don't want to have to change the spark plugs on one of those, I will eventually do it in the mustang but 2 vehicles with that problem? nah, ill pass
Old Thu, September 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Use a little antiseize and torque them to 21 in lbs.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Thu, September 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Grown-up in training!

Talking about the spark plugs? Thanks, but I don't need to worry about them anymore. We sold the mustang and the truck and we got a new mustang that isn't falling apart with 140k on it... new one is a 2013 gt 5.0 , too bad that bill can't tune it though