Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Everything Else > The Conversation Pit

The Conversation Pit This is where EVERYTHING else goes. No subject is too mundane. How's the weather in your area? Did your kid cut his first tooth? Really, what do you think about the President? And don't get me started on Cummins and Duramaxes. Have at it!

Closed Thread

Old Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 10:17 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

fifity is on a distinguished road
Default 1990 5.0 LX? Should I?

Going to look at a 1990 5.0 LX 5 speed hardtop tomorrow. It has 75,000 original miles. Guy wants 4,000 for it.

Is there a year I should stay away from? Should I instead look for a more modern 4.6?

I am in Cali and do have smog laws btw....
Old Sun, October 3rd, 2010, 11:48 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

FWIW.............. I love the 5 oohh........funny huh.

Anyways, I think they are a good platform to build on, strong, reliable, cheap, and parts are easily assessable. Not quite in the same league as the 3fifty, but a close second in my book.

As for power, I dont think it is as easy to make as much as the 4.6's, but defiantly much cheaper.

What all are you looking to get out of it?
Old Mon, October 4th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

No need to stay away from it at all.

I've been looking for a 95 GT for sometime now
Just can't find any in right shape or right price for me...
Old Mon, October 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Duty, Honor, Country

ChuckD will become famous soon enough

Go for it.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Mon, October 4th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

fifity is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
FWIW.............. I love the 5 oohh........funny huh.
Dave I just got it...I am a little slow Speaking of which, can they correct my screen name to fifty from fifity?

Your local neighbor hood five oh looking for a 5.O

As for what I am looking for out of it? Well, shits and giggles mostly. Raw power. Something to buzz around town in. Something that can kind of handle. I wouldnt mind it being able to smoke my brothers S55 AMG...that would be nice...
Wonder how much that would cost?
Old Mon, October 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifity View Post
Dave I just got it...I am a little slow Speaking of which, can they correct my screen name to fifty from fifity?

Your local neighbor hood five oh looking for a 5.O

As for what I am looking for out of it? Well, shits and giggles mostly. Raw power. Something to buzz around town in. Something that can kind of handle. I wouldnt mind it being able to smoke my brothers S55 AMG...that would be nice...
Wonder how much that would cost?
LOL.... Took me awhile to figure out what your screen name meant.

While they are at it they should change mine to 907DAVE.

Guess you need to start researching parts......and pricing things out.

Figure a reasonable budget - then times by two - then compare that to what a 4.6 would cost to get the same hp, figure in the price of the vehicle, and that should be enough info to base your decision off of.
Old Mon, October 4th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Double Whopper

Colt is on a distinguished road

Get it.. Good cars, not all that quick stock though, 225 HP.. Best mods, cold air intake, get rid of the smog pump, exhaust, a set of long tube 1 5/8th's headers, a set of 3:73 gears, a complete set of rear control arms.. Thats just for starters.. Once you start, you wont stop.. Becareful with that tranny though, they dont take abuse very well. Run a OEM replacement clutch, put a good shifter on it and it will live a while. Run anything more than a stock style clutch and your screwed.. Believe it or not, I'm running the same trans in my 79, I have 24% slipage in the clutch, it's my fuse, but it's hurting me bad power wise. I've got this setup do detuned it's pathetic, then with the slipage and little tires. All because I'm trying to make it live. People are amazed that this thing is taking that kind of power, but every time I go down the track I assume it will be the last for it ( been doing that for 4 yrs now LOL )... Been saving up for a Faceplated ( think big rig tranny, no syncro's ) T-56..

The 4.6 is a good runnin motor, but they aren't cheap at all. I've got 10K just in the shortblock in the 98, but it's built to handle 1200 HP too, so yeah... I'd build another one, but I enjoy working on the 302 much more than the 4.6.. The 4.6 cars are heavy though, they respond well to simple mods, but the weight is what slows them down.

If I could find a 90 with that low of miles for that price I'd jump on it.. But the next Mustang I buy will be drag only, and I'd hate to do that to a nice, low mileage car.
'79 Mustang Turbocharged 302, Aftermarket EFI 563 HP/ 657 TQ
'98 Mustang Stroked, Blown, Aftermarket EFI 498 HP/ 537 TQ
'99 Cobra, no engine ( petal power )
'97 Dodge Ram 1500, Turbocharged 408, Aftermarket EFI

I have far too many toys...
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

My little 331 engine dynoed at 534 hp. If your patient you can find parts for good deals. I got my DSS balanced and forged stroker kit for $550. Boxes had never been open. Got a Dart SHP block for $1370 and my TFS FAC heads for $1380 to my door. I started this project in March but did get a good platform to start with. Now is time to build my C4 already have my SFI flex plate and bell housing. I should start getting the car put together next month when my arm is healed more and our temps are down.
2004 Explorer Limited
A veteran is someone who, at one point in one's life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -Author Unknown
Old Tue, October 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM
Double Whopper

Colt is on a distinguished road

I wish I could find deals like that. Once I decide I "need" something, I have to go get it right then..

[hijack]

Too bad you already have a bell housing, I've got a TH400 sitting on the floor thats fresh. It was built for a buddy of mine that was making 1200 ft/lbs of TQ in a 76 Camaro with a 101mm turbo, he got tired of the car and built a 71 Camaro with a 555 Big Chief with a 114mm turbo So he went with a glide and sold me his old tranny.. TH400 swaps in Mustangs are pretty common anymore, cheap to build and stout..

I wanna go with a T-56, so that TH400 has to go.. 534 HP? Your gonna have a blast with that.. When ya gonna boost it? [/hijack]
'79 Mustang Turbocharged 302, Aftermarket EFI 563 HP/ 657 TQ
'98 Mustang Stroked, Blown, Aftermarket EFI 498 HP/ 537 TQ
'99 Cobra, no engine ( petal power )
'97 Dodge Ram 1500, Turbocharged 408, Aftermarket EFI

I have far too many toys...
Old Wed, October 6th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Duty, Honor, Country

Figuring a 20% DL loss I am figuring around 430 at the wheels. I am gonna spray it since I am running a carb, I have heard really good things about my intake, though I got to spin the crap out of it. I may change later on to efi and boost it since I am at a 9.98:1, I should be able to put a few lbs to it.
2004 Explorer Limited
Closed Thread