Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 01:39 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Just a quick note to add to 88's great graphs on transmission temps and longevity - About three weeks ago we took a trip with the trailer up north to Mesa Verde, CO. The interstate north of Phoenix drops down into the Verde Valley and then climbs (and climbs) back out. The outside temperature on that trip was about 104 degrees, and I was in 2nd gear on the incline at between 60-65 mph. My TFT reached 225 degrees briefly in that pull. When on the flat though, it stayed more in the 170 degrees region.

Pulling the trailer up Mt Graham last week (about a 7000 ft climb), the TFT only got to about 208 degrees. The outside temperature was in the nineties (dropping as we climbed) and because of the VERY twisty road, our speed was about 25-30 mph, again, in 2nd gear.

So, towing does heat up things, but not unduly unless you are doing a lot of uphill pulls in hot weather. In my case, the "average" temperature stays in the "safe" zone.

- Jack
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Just a quick note to add to 88's great graphs on transmission temps and longevity - About three weeks ago we took a trip with the trailer up north to Mesa Verde, CO. The interstate north of Phoenix drops down into the Verde Valley and then climbs (and climbs) back out. The outside temperature on that trip was about 104 degrees, and I was in 2nd gear on the incline at between 60-65 mph. My TFT reached 225 degrees briefly in that pull. When on the flat though, it stayed more in the 170 degrees region.

Pulling the trailer up Mt Graham last week (about a 7000 ft climb), the TFT only got to about 208 degrees. The outside temperature was in the nineties (dropping as we climbed) and because of the VERY twisty road, our speed was about 25-30 mph, again, in 2nd gear.

So, towing does heat up things, but not unduly unless you are doing a lot of uphill pulls in hot weather. In my case, the "average" temperature stays in the "safe" zone.

- Jack
My apologies...I do have one more follow-up question. SO, since I'm not noticing any premature TC locking in 1st or 2nd gear, I will probably leave this setting alone. That leaves me to the part throttle adjustment. Your recommendation is to scale it back a little, hence causing the truck to shift a little earlier, correct? Being that this is for my tow tune, would I want to do that? Wouldn't I want to shift at higher RPM's when towing?

Again, hopefully my 87 perf tune will run better and I won't have to adjust much but I might as well get my Level 2 in good working order now...while I'm running it. Thanks again Jack. Can't say enough how much I appreciate all the help.
Old Tue, June 29th, 2010, 06:51 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

You're right, I probably confused things a bit in my last post, since I did not go back a reread the entire thread. Yes, I said to REDUCE the part throttle up/downshift points (negative values). I wanted to get the truck into higher gear sooner to reduce what you felt was a hard 1-2 upshift. (I was thinking there would be slightly less torque being applied at an earlier shift point).

You can only change this value for 1-2 and 2-1 by +/- 2, so the change is not going to be great. I doubt it will hurt anything even when towing. Bill has said he feels the truck is geared too low in 1st anyway. I agree. I just want it in 1st long enough to start moving, then I want it in 2nd.

I think I'd still INCREASE the TC lockup/unlock points for 1st and 2nd gears though. You COULD be getting such a momentary lockup that it doesn't register on the Gryphon.

- Jack
Old Wed, June 30th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Scientist

BigSur will become famous soon enoughBigSur will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
You're right, I probably confused things a bit in my last post, since I did not go back a reread the entire thread. Yes, I said to REDUCE the part throttle up/downshift points (negative values). I wanted to get the truck into higher gear sooner to reduce what you felt was a hard 1-2 upshift. (I was thinking there would be slightly less torque being applied at an earlier shift point).

You can only change this value for 1-2 and 2-1 by +/- 2, so the change is not going to be great. I doubt it will hurt anything even when towing. Bill has said he feels the truck is geared too low in 1st anyway. I agree. I just want it in 1st long enough to start moving, then I want it in 2nd.

I think I'd still INCREASE the TC lockup/unlock points for 1st and 2nd gears though. You COULD be getting such a momentary lockup that it doesn't register on the Gryphon.

- Jack
I'll do this sometime soon and will follow up to let you know how it does. Talk to you later.