Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Fri, January 30th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Double Whopper

Mark_123 is on a distinguished road

I think I may just remove that snorkel and leave everything else the same for now. I have a piece of 3" flexible PVC on order that I plan to run into the fender and re-attach to the stock intake. I'll post pics if it works. I wanted to find something that would work without sanding the hard pvc to fit the fender. I can only imagine how frustrated I'd become spending 3 hours trying to perfectly sand or grind the pvc pipe to fit. I'll try the flex and let everyone know.
Old Fri, January 30th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Not a Whopper

kd4crs is on a distinguished road

The DWV intake mod requires no sanding or fitting. I can email you the instructions if you like. Bill is going to post them on here soon. Mark_123 check your PMs.

EDIT to add: See post #71 in this thread for the DWV intake mod instructions.

Last edited by kd4crs; Tue, February 10th, 2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old Fri, January 30th, 2009, 06:10 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Justice View Post
So Bill what your saying is that we wouldn't have to get NEW TUNES for this Mod? Not like we would if we bought a CAI off the shelf.
That is EXACTLY what he said - and the only reason I tried this mod myself!

- Jack
Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Just wanted to let everyone who posted in this thread know something...

Yesterday, I received an email from a potential customer who said he's not sure about getting a CAI. In my reply, I referred him to this thread and the CAI thread. He e-mailed me back today and

1- Gave you guys props for being so creative and intelligent

and

2- Told me that after reading this thread, he's going to try a homemade intake mod himself! *I told him to be sure and take pictures! )

Kudos, Guys! This stuff tickles the heck out of me (or it could possibly be my cat, Dioji, that is laying in my lap.) Definitely shows me that the forum was a great idea -- I've gotta thank Bill for that one.

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Other than the "sexy" look of the commercial CAIs, I wonder why anyone would want them? Trust me though, I wouldn't have tried making one myself if I hadn't read Bill's thoughts on this!

Even though I love to argue obscure points, I recognize Bill's expertise in this area and I know, "I can take it to the bank".

Thanks again, Bill and Corey, for creating a forum that so far, allows us to "think out loud" and not be afraid of sounding stupid!

- Jack
Old Tue, February 3rd, 2009, 10:37 PM
addicted

kokopellimotorsports is on a distinguished road

Yes, thank you Bill and Corey for the forum.

Tuning is addicting. Lol.
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Glocks and Goldwings

glockwinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
Other than the "sexy" look of the commercial CAIs, I wonder why anyone would want them?

- Jack

Well, when I was once dumb and impressionable ...someone sold me on the idea of doing a few mods to my truck. I wouldn't do most of them again, the CAI for starters. Just wasted my money. I wish I had the info then that I have now...it would have saved me and
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Double Whopper

So I found this 12" piece of 3" black rubber-coated flexible PVC used for fish ponds (that was a mouthfull) Anyway, I removed the snorkel, inserted the 3" pipe into the intake, then inserted the other end through the first fender wall hole and into the second fender hole. I heated the end of the pipe in hot water to make it more pliable before pushing it into the fender. I then used a black worm clamp to seal the 3" pipe in the intake leading to the engine. Overall....I'm impressed!

I had the snorkel off for a few days just letting it breath the engine bay air. The intake air temp (IAT) seemed to always be at least 10 degrees higher than ambient temp while driving. Of course, if the truck was stopped at a red light, the IAT may go to 30-50 degrees higher than outside air temp (OAT). So now with the little extension added on, the IAT=OAT while driving. Pretty cool if you ask me. I can post photos when the snow melts and the temp climbs back up (currently 20 F). Thanks to all for your ideas and pics!!!

Mark
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
PHP Groupie

It's incredible how the ideas have taken off here. I think something flexible will probably work better than the "stiff" tube, since the "bend" to match the angle of the stock intake can be more gradual. This should probably produce a slightly smoother airflow, which should cut down on resistance (internal drag) a bit.

I'll be interested in your pictures, Mark. Can you remember where you got this tube? I was looking at the flexible metal tubing like Agent Orange used in his version at Ace hardware the other day. It'll certainly smooth out the bend too.

And, on the subject of air temperature - Here in Arizona, we regularly hit 105+ in the summer. We don't need one extra degree of heat from the engine into the intake when it's like that!

- Jack
Old Wed, February 4th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Double Whopper

Jack, got the pipe on Ebay. Oh, and I thought this was interesting. If anyone tries to make there own mods, I would leave the bellows (rubber looking flexible piece of intake from factory) in the setup. Here's why:

The rubber PVC pipe I pushed into the fender is pretty much stuck in place...it's not going to move. The other end is in the bellows section. As I was revving the engine to make myself think this mod was the coolest thing on Earth, I noticed that as the engine revved and pulled to the opposite side of the fender intake, the bellows stretched to keep from pulling loose any other piece of the intake. I would imagine that any modified intake without this bellows piece might pull the intake away from the fender hole or even damage the modified intake. Just some food for thought.

Tags
dwv intake mod