Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordkindaguy View Post
I have an 02 4.6L and did notice some power gain but it could be because i also have a flowmaster cat back which allows a little better flow. The gryphon will tune your truck for the extra air amount coming in so it can put in more gas, more air+more gas= more fun

I like the more fun part but I really don't like the more gas I'll be using. I think I'll keek the stock intake and TB and sell off the aftermarket parts. I'm hearing good things about pulleys so I'm going to add those.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Just so there is no confusion. Intakes in my world are the part that bolts to the heads. Other people call them intake manifolds.
Now Cold Air Intakes that come before the TB, I and others just call them cai.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin View Post
I like the more fun part but I really don't like the more gas I'll be using. I think I'll keek the stock intake and TB and sell off the aftermarket parts. I'm hearing good things about pulleys so I'm going to add those.
I am 100% sure I got a gas mileage boost from doing the "gotts" style mod to the stock intake. I can't really explain why this should be except that possibly I get a better A/F mixture at near WOT which in turn gives me better power shortening the time I have to be in that state?

Anyway, I know before the intake mod, I could get 15.5 mpg at 55-60 mph. Anything faster and the mileage dropped. Now I get 15.5 at 70-75, and am above 16.0 at 55-60.

- Jack
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road

depends on how you drive, it only will pull in more gas if you're on wot otherwise i believe people are claiming higher gas mileage due to changing standard shift points and that good stuff
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 03:47 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

I didn't see if it was mentioned, but one thing that is a common problem is a moderately lean condition caused by using a CAI in conjunction with Programmer that wasn't set up for the inherent lean condition the CAI will normally cause. This results in poor throttle response and poor low RPM power. The canned tuning on the Gryphon will likely cause the same problems until you go with some custom tuning.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
I didn't see if it was mentioned, but one thing that is a common problem is a moderately lean condition caused by using a CAI in conjunction with Programmer that wasn't set up for the inherent lean condition the CAI will normally cause. This results in poor throttle response and poor low RPM power. The canned tuning on the Gryphon will likely cause the same problems until you go with some custom tuning.
I wasn't going to mention the "blanket response" for the cai being lean due to the year of vehicle. But it most definately could be possible. The other thing is a "small" vacuum leak.

To the OP does the idle dip when brakes applied?

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.

Last edited by 88Racing; Sun, September 20th, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
I wasn't going to mention the "blanket response" for the cai being lean due to the year of vehicle. But it most definately could be possible. The other thing is a "small" vacuum leak.

To the OP does the idle dip when brakes applied?

Lars

No idle dip at all. Normal idle in all situations.

I've heard before that CAI weren't good with programmers.
Old Sun, September 20th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Hungry View Post
Bill, I'm glad you responded. Thanks! I've heard before about the CAI/Programmer combo not working well. I have little low end/low RPM power. Power in the middle and higher RPM range is good for the 4.6L except the lag when it downshifts for passing.

Questions...I'm going to purchase the Gryphon but I'd like to know what would be best with a custom tune for my '02 4.6L. A Gotts intake mod or the Airaid intake I currently have installed? I live in HOT Southern California so I don't know if that makes a difference with your tunes. Stock TB or a BBK 75mm TB that I also currently have (not installed)? I'm also installing underdrive pulleys before I input to tune so also consider that.
Old Tue, September 22nd, 2009, 09:37 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

On the F-150, the Gott's/Snorkel mod seems to work just as well as any commercial CAI kits. At least dyno results haven't indicated any appreciable difference. Not that there's really anything negative about the CAI so if you've got one already it's fine.

Newer trucks haven't seen any benefit to running a throttle body, but older trucks often see a moderate gain in mid to upper RPM performance in there area of about 5 to 8 HP.

Underdrive pulleys will require a small idle change (usually 50 RPM or so) to help keep the alternator charging correctly at idle.

In regards to air/fuel ratio and performance, peak torque and peak HP occur at different ratios with torque coming in about 11.25:1 to 11.6:1 and HP coming in around 12.25:1. If the fuel curves aren't correctly adjusted to meet the demands for the specific load/RPM, performance can suffer significantly.

I hope this makes sense.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Tue, September 22nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Bacon King

In regards to air/fuel ratio and performance, peak torque and peak HP occur at different ratios with torque coming in about 11.25:1 to 11.6:1 and HP coming in around 12.25:1. If the fuel curves aren't correctly adjusted to meet the demands for the specific load/RPM, performance can suffer significantly.

I hope this makes sense.[/QUOTE]

This is the only part I didn't comprehend but not sure that I need to. I just want you to do your MAGIC so I can pop a wheelie...haha, just kidding.

Thanks for the input. I know what I'm going to do as far as the mods go .