Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1997 to 2003 F-150

1997 to 2003 F-150 4.2L, 4.6L, and 5.4L equipped F-150s

Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
Jack thanks for the correction but what I was refering to is this.

When initially programming the custom options menu with canned tunes that this feature of the gryphon may take some time. Like with tire size and gear ratio and or shift points/firmness if so needed.

Lars
You're quite right, but I don't recall it taking 10-15 minutes, ever! However, it DOES have to "build" the "restore to stock" files the first time around, so it can take longer than subsequent tunes. I just didn't want anyone to get scared off thinking they were going to lose a big portion of their life watching the first programming session.

However, since there's only ONE first time, maybe I just remembered it wrong! My rapidly fading brain cells may have let me down again!

- Jack
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Bacon King

RobbyMartin is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for all your input. You guys on this site have been awesome in helping with my questions...THANK YOU.

I realize in order to put a new tune I have to remove the old one. I have to sell my Hypertech after getting the Gryphon so I have to restore the tune back to stock for the tuner to tune a different vehicle.

What are the canned tunes for the Gryphon? Is the Gryphon exactly the same as the Edge but with better tunes? Have the same features? I have an intake (Airaid) and a 3" single exhaust. Will that work with canned tunes or will custom tunes be needed? I am trying to find a stock intake to do the Gotts mod and hopefully get cooler air so will that make a difference in what tune is needed?

Is the mounting pod the same as the Edge or is it a different design. I can't really tell from the picks I've seen online. They look exactly the same in some pics and different in other pics. I don't want it to intrude with the instrument panel opening.
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
PHP Groupie

Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Again, to clarify - you use the Hypertech to return your vehicle to stock before trying to program it with any other programmer.

The MAIN difference between the Gryphon and the Edge is in it's firmware, which allows the Gryphon to accept custom tunes. The Edge can only hold "canned" tunes.

In addition, Bill "recases" the device in a black case (which looks better to me) and he does "tweak" the canned tunes that are initially in it a bit, so they're better than the canned tunes in the Edge.

Your CAI probably doesn't play too well with canned tunes. This could be the cause of your problems with the Hypertech. The "Gotts" version will work fine with canned tunes. Your model year truck doesn't have the "lean running" problems that showed up with CAIs in 2004 and 2005 though.

Custom tunes will improve your performance with the Airaid.

The mounting pod for the 2002 model Gryphon (and Edge) is black, and is somewhat different than the one used for later models, I believe. For a while, they used it through 2006, and I still have one of the old ones (in addition to the newer design). Both work fine and don't interfere with anything in the dash.

- Jack
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Bacon King

One more question...

I had a BBK 75mm throttle body installed and then recently removed and I feel no difference in the way the truck runs or responds. After getting the Gryphon, will my truck benefit from it or will it run the same? I am thinking of selling it if it makes no difference but if it will help improve the Gryphons tune then I want to keep it. If it will help the performance, will it help or hurt my mileage?

Again guys, thanks a million for your help! I'm glad I heard about PHP.
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
PHP Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin View Post
One more question...

I had a BBK 75mm throttle body installed and then recently removed and I feel no difference in the way the truck runs or responds. After getting the Gryphon, will my truck benefit from it or will it run the same? I am thinking of selling it if it makes no difference but if it will help improve the Gryphons tune then I want to keep it. If it will help the performance, will it help or hurt my mileage?

Again guys, thanks a million for your help! I'm glad I heard about PHP.
I've never heard anyone talk about this component before you. So, I don't really have any ideas here. I think this is a question that's better directed to Bill Cohron. I'd think it WOULD effect the tune, but you don't seem to be seeing any effect.

- Jack
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJanet View Post
I've never heard anyone talk about this component before you. So, I don't really have any ideas here. I think this is a question that's better directed to Bill Cohron. I'd think it WOULD effect the tune, but you don't seem to be seeing any effect.

- Jack
I don't see many people getting significant gains with a CAI unless its tuned for one so I was wondering if its the same for larger throttle bodies.

And I am trying to read up about underdrive pulleys but I haven't read anywhere if a 2 pulley or 3 pulley set is better for my truck (2002 w/4.6L).

Last edited by RobbyMartin; Thu, September 17th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 10:41 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyMartin View Post
I don't see many people getting significant gains with a CAI unless its tuned for one so I was wondering if its the same for larger throttle bodies.

And I am trying to read up about underdrive pulleys but I haven't read anywhere if a 2 pulley or 3 pulley set is better for my truck (2002 w/4.6L).
My opinion on those intakes is this
the people who advertise them as power gaining add on should be fired.
Yes it moves the product but no they don't show the customer the whole picture.
Been involved with HD's to much lately but here's a parallel.
HD sells a kit.
It includes a bigger TB
but wait there more!
A bigger intake.
Bigger injectors.
Different cams.
Different heads.
Different pushrods.
And for extra cash a dyno run.

Do you see the big picture now?

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Thu, September 17th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Bacon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Racing View Post
My opinion on those intakes is this
the people who advertise them as power gaining add on should be fired.
Yes it moves the product but no they don't show the customer the whole picture.
Been involved with HD's to much lately but here's a parallel.
HD sells a kit.
It includes a bigger TB
but wait there more!
A bigger intake.
Bigger injectors.
Different cams.
Different heads.
Different pushrods.
And for extra cash a dyno run.

Do you see the big picture now?
I've read so much that I'm confused. I've read that bigger intakes and larger throttle bodies are useless without forced air induction. Would you find this to be true?
I've read that the Gotts mod is just as good as the other. Then I thought I understood that Bill could write a tune that would compliment an aftermarket intake along with any engine mods someone may have. I guess my question is if keeping my Airaid intake with a custom tune would be better than the stock intake with the Gotts mod...or visa versa? And would my BBK 75mm TB be beneficial with a tune or would the stock TB be just as good? I don't want to hold onto to things aftermarket parts if they are not anymore beneficial than the stock parts.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 07:06 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

I guess what I was trying to say was that the TB needs other things to make it work better than just a tune and a cai.
The gryphon will give you truck some more power and so will the cai. The gryphon and cai do this together.
In order to get the bigger TB to make more power you will need an intake, cams, and possibly injectors.
Forced air is the way I would go if I had big pockets.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, September 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Wanna go fast

fordkindaguy is on a distinguished road

I have an 02 4.6L and did notice some power gain but it could be because i also have a flowmaster cat back which allows a little better flow. The gryphon will tune your truck for the extra air amount coming in so it can put in more gas, more air+more gas= more fun