Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Performance Modifications and Other Conversations

Performance Modifications and Other Conversations This is a place where we can have real, honest discussions about all things performance related.

Whether it's power adders, engine parts, configurations, injectors, tuning, or whatever else you can thing of, let's talk about it!

Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Location: Highland, NY in Ulster County (Hudson Valley / Catskills Region)
muns53 is on a distinguished road
Default DIY Intake, Zoodad mod and 4" Exhaust on my 7.3L Diesel

Rather than dropping serious coin on an aftermarket intake, I elected to go the DIY route, figuring if I hated it, I was only out $50.00.

There are plenty of "how-to'" on the diesel sites (powerstroke.org has a good one), so I won't reinvent the wheel describing it. But all that's needed is a 3-4inch piece of 4" OD alum pipe, a great big Duralite or NAPA#6637 air filter and a clamp. With the stock airbox removed, it just sits in the space just behind the battery. Then, I drilled a bunch of various-diameter holes in a cool pattern in the front for the "Zoodad mod" - opening up air flow a bit more in the front. Then, I bought and installed a 4" turbo-back alum exhaust with a straight-through muffler from Diamond Eye.

Mileage:
I went from 13 mpg to 16 mpg average - and that's winter mileage - calculated, not relying on the computer. On short highway trips (65-75 mph), I do even better; averaging around 18.

Performance:
I think it has more juice and I know it's getting better airflow b/c I can hear it. I feel it spool faster, so the power comes on faster; and I cruise with lower RPMs, so I know it's better across the whole band.

Hope that's helpful!
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 09:16 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

Awesome information. It's nice to see real world numbers in regards to specific modifications. The homemade Tymar intake has been one of the most popular, effective and inexpensive modifications for the 7.3L. As you've seen, it really makes a difference.

Thanks for your contributions and feel free to post a link to any threads that list specific modifications.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 09:21 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

I did the same DIY intake too. Works well, the more surface area the filter has the more air it is going to allow to flow into the engine plain and simple. plus you maintain factory level of filtering. I don't trust all the aftermarket filters... I feel they let more dirt into the intake. K&N I have seen many intakes using them and they are full of dirt and oil other crap.... I am sure some people are going to claim how wonerful aftermarket intakes are but too much advertising and hype for me... besides why spend several hundred when you can do it for about $60 and get better results. I just cut part of the original air box out to fit the filter. relocated the ambient air temp sensor to another place on the box. it is still accurately showing the outside air temp which means its still acting as an effective cold air intake... original intake tube and battery tray are still in place too.
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Thu, March 19th, 2009, 10:04 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light
Question

Hey you guys, any pictures?

Any links?

Thanks

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, March 20th, 2009, 10:00 PM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Location: Highland, NY in Ulster County (Hudson Valley / Catskills Region)
muns53 is on a distinguished road

Since Bill said it's okay to cross-post, here's two links w- instructions and pictures fer ya...

DIY Intake: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3...iy-intake.html

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I also put a Pete's cover on the 6637, which adds $25 to bring the total up to $75 for the whole intake conversion: http://truck-mods.com/filtercovers.html (notice the custom graphics options - you guys could put a custom PHP logo on there!)

Zoodad Mod: http://community.webshots.com/album/29503747CLxEtpIVYO

The 4" exhaust is a bit of a bear to get in - not a lot of clearance on the Excursion... probably similar for the trucks. But worth the effort - I love the sound - mean and throaty like a V8 should sound and the sweetest whistle on top of it. Some people straight-pipe it with no muffler; but I think that might just be too punishing. The kit I got (www.diamondeyeperformance.com) has a straight-though muffler with rifling; so it actually helps keep the cab drone down and speed the exhaust out a bit more.

Ah... truck toys. What could be better?
Old Fri, September 21st, 2012, 03:43 PM
Whopper Junior

hindmarsh is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the DIY intake mod info

I found a Donaldson catalog and browsed through it and found the part numbers for a 45 degree elbow, clamp and a polymer filter mounting bracket to keep it off the wheel well and wiring and to keep it from bouncing around. Then I found Filtermaxx.com and the whole setup including 2 filters is less than $100 delivered.

Donaldson B085011 Air Filter B085011 2 $24.50 USD $49.00 USD
P148343 P148343 1 $6.01 USD $6.01 USD
P207353 P207353 1 $19.09 USD $19.09 USD
P777732 P777732 1 $9.39 USD $9.39 USD

Subtotal: $83.49 USD
Shipping: $13.20 USD
Grand Total: $96.69 USD