Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software

Minotaur Automotive Tuning Software Tune your own 7.3L Diesel! If you have a question or comment about Minotaur? Post it here.

Also, check out our Facebook group: Facebook - Minotaur Tuners

Old Sun, January 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough
Default Difference between PMT1 and PMT3

My truck has the PMT3 PCM and the tunes are for PMT1. I was considering getting the Romulator Emulator cable, but was told that it will not work unless the PCM code matches the the tunes.

What would it take to "convert" current programming to the PMT3 for use with the emulator?

Or would it be easier to re flash the PCM?
Old Sun, January 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Have Bill reflash the PCM to PMT1.

You were told correctly about the emulator. You HAVE to have the same PCM code.
Old Sun, January 17th, 2010, 09:42 PM
BROKE

So .....its not worth it to use the PMT3 stuff?
Old Sun, January 17th, 2010, 10:14 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

You'd have to buy different definition files. I can tell you from experience that a VRAA6 (PMT1) binary will not work with a VRAA7 (PMT2/3) definition and vice-versa.

Since you're using PMT1 tunes and plan on emulation, you will be much better off just shipping your current PCM to Bill (since the truck doesn't run anyway), having him reflash it to PMT1, and email you the PMT1 emulation definition. If you'd like, I can make your current binary the required 32K size for the romulator.
Old Sun, January 17th, 2010, 11:37 PM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
You'd have to buy different definition files. I can tell you from experience that a VRAA6 (PMT1) binary will not work with a VRAA7 (PMT2/3) definition and vice-versa.

Since you're using PMT1 tunes and plan on emulation, you will be much better off just shipping your current PCM to Bill (since the truck doesn't run anyway), having him reflash it to PMT1, and email you the PMT1 emulation definition. If you'd like, I can make your current binary the required 32K size for the romulator.
I already have the VRAA7 definition's so I was just curious. I would like to send Bill my PCM, but with his current situation I am concerned that I will have the motor finished before the PCM is. I would hate to put a "rush" on it as I am sure he will be swamped when business resumes. I will just have to ask and see what he can do for me.

Well come to think of it, I don't even have my chip anymore, so it might not matter anyways.
Old Mon, January 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatus12r View Post
and email you the PMT1 emulation definition. If you'd like, I can make your current binary the required 32K size for the romulator.
Whats this about?

Could you give me a play-by-play on the emulator operation?
Old Mon, January 18th, 2010, 09:53 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Sure!

The binary code in the Ford EEC-V PCM is made up of 4 "banks" of memory. They are numbered 0,1,8, and 9.

The emulator uses a 32K-size file that is made up of bank 8 of the binary code in the PCM (where most of the maps are). When using the emulator, the truck operates on banks 0,1, and 9 while the emulator supplies bank 8.

The definition file for the emulator is also different than the standard definition so that it has the capability to change bank 8 inputs to the emulator.

So, the 224K files that you have for your tunes need to be broken down into a 32K file that the emulator definition can use.

The "romulator" is unable to operate all 4 bank changes.
Old Tue, January 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
BROKE

Awesome.

Is there things that you cannot change when using the emulator because of it only using the 1 bank of inputs?

How does the emulator work, can you make changes "on the fly", or is it more like make a change, load file into emulator, and continue?

What does it take to change file to the 32K size?
Old Tue, January 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907dave View Post
Awesome.

Is there things that you cannot change when using the emulator because of it only using the 1 bank of inputs?

Yeah, there are a whole lot of things that you can't change....namely the "parameters" and a whole lot of "functions". Most everything in the "maps" section can be changed.

How does the emulator work, can you make changes "on the fly", or is it more like make a change, load file into emulator, and continue? Yes, you can make changes on the fly. There are times that you will get a "bump" or momentary loss of PCM (stumble or stall) depending on what you change and when you change it.

What does it take to change file to the 32K size?Hex editing software like HEX WORKSHOP. Then you simply select the 32768 bytes that you need (address E000 to 16000) and paste them into a new sheet, save it, and load it into the emulator definition.
Hope this helps.
Old Tue, January 19th, 2010, 11:58 PM
BROKE

Is the software included with the emulator, or a separate buy?