Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > General Vehicle Related Topics > Towing

Towing This forum is specifically for questions, comments, or ideas about towing with your vehicle.

Old Thu, February 18th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Whopper Junior

FB Coach is on a distinguished road
Default Old vrs New - Performance Questions

Here is what I have done.

Old Truck.- 01 Screw 5.4, 3:55 running 265’s with a K@N FIPK and a Magnaflow si/so.
Has been passed down to my 16 yr son who just started driving. Very lucky boy. This truck did have the larger upgraded radiator that ford was putting in the trucks but has since stopped that practice.

New Truck – 08 Screw 5.4, 3:73 running 285”s. So far no mods except a 2 inch body lift. In the future a Gryphon Tuner ,Magnaflow exhaust, drop in K@N filter.

I tow a trailer 2-3 times a year from sea level up to the mountains 8,000ft.. It weights about 6,000lbs loaded. The old truck would slow down pretty good on the hard pulls, but seemed to handle the weight fairly well. Tranny temp never went over 215 even pulling Sherwin Summit in 105 degree temp. (6-7% grade for about 15 miles). How do you guys think the new truck will do compared to the old truck? My concern is the cooling issues and the larger tires. After I do the mods I think it will have more towing power than the old truck but I am concerned about how it will cool. I know I could put a different tranny cooler on it, but I am concerned about warranty issues.

Any suggestions or opinion out there.
Old Fri, February 19th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Double Whopper

408F150 is on a distinguished road

The engine is near bullet proof so you don't have to worry about that. The weak point in towing is going to be ATF temp, which will start to hit 200*+ after a few miles of a 6-7% grade. A large transmission cooler and a deeper pan (along with high grade synthetic ATF) kept my transmission under 210* going over the grapevine with a 7k toy hauler; and that mountain is as long and steep as I've ever come across. Any pass big enough for multiple run-away truck ramps I think is a good test for a transmission cooling system. If you really want to make it easier on your truck drop in some 4.10s, I went to 4.56s with my 35" tires (which is similar to a 4.10 on stock-sized tires) and only lost around 1 mpg highway but gained better towing milage and much more power charging up the hills.
Old Wed, March 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

04FX4 is on a distinguished road

You will have no problems and will love it. There will be night and day difference. Just be safe, eq hitch good brake controler, but you know that... Cheers.