Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Power Hungry Performance Product Information > Gryphon Programmer

Gryphon Programmer Edge Product has discontinued the Edge Evolution 2, but we still provide support and tuning for it.

If you have a question or comment relating the Gryphon (or Evolution) programmer, post it here.

Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

martinoledad is on a distinguished road
Default hard shifting

do you think that getting the gryphon might help the hard shifting in the newer f150's with the 6 speed trans.
Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 10:51 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinoledad View Post
do you think that getting the gryphon might help the hard shifting in the newer f150's with the 6 speed trans.
They shift hard?
That new tranny must totally have been redesigned!

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.
Old Fri, December 4th, 2009, 11:21 PM

martinoledad is on a distinguished road

i hate mine. It shifts really hard into 2nd gear and then down shifts pretty hard but other then that i love the truck just didnt know if the gryphon might possibly solve that
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 03:20 AM
The Godfather of Power Stroke Tuning

Power Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud ofPower Hungry has much to be proud of

We're still getting the shifting dialed in, but so far I haven't found it to be a problem. The new 6 speed has always felt very well mannered to me. I thought that the 1st gear was a bit low and didn't quite line up with 2nd gear very well but that's a mechanical issue that can't be remedied.

In any event, I don't see any reason why the shifting can't be adjusted to meet you needs.

Power Hungry Performance - The ORIGINAL in Ford performance tuning... Since 1996!
(678) 890-1110

www.gopowerhungry.com - Home of the Hydra Chip, Minotaur Tuning Software, and the new Orion Reflash System for Navistar!

Bring back Windows™ XP and 7.
Windows™ Vista and Windows™ 8 is a pain in my a$$!
Windows™ 10 is only slightly less annoying!
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

Something I found about the tranny on the 09's

TSB
09-11-5 5.4L 3V 6R80 HARSH 1-2 UPSHIFT, BUMP WHILE COASTING LOW SPEED DOWNSHIFT, HARSH DOWNSHIFT TO 4TH GEAR - INTERMITTENT P0741

Publication Date: May 25, 2009

FORD: 2009 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2009 F-150 vehicles equipped with 5.4L 3V engine and equipped with a 6R80 automatic transmission may exhibit the following symptoms during warm-up: a harsh 1-2 upshift, harsh 2-1 downshift while coasting 15 MPH (24 Km/h). A harsh downshift into 4th gear at highway speeds 45-70 MPH (72-113 Km/h) may also be experienced. Some vehicles may have a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0741 torque converter performance code present or stored.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct this condition

SERVICE PROCEDURE

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE MECHATRONIC UNIT. MECHATRONIC REPAIR/REPLACEMENT IS NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS ISSUE.

Install IDS/PDS or equivalent and ID vehicle.
Update the powertrain control module (PCM)/transmission control module (TCM) calibration using IDS release 60.14 and higher or 61.04 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2009.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
NOTE: THE TCM CANNOT BE INDEPENDENTLY REPROGRAMMED, REPROGRAM USING THE PMI FUNCTION TO ENSURE THAT ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION CALIBRATIONS ARE UPDATED TO THE LATEST LEVEL SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Verify that the TCM Calibration shows AL3P-7J104-AB (4x2) or AL3P-7J104-BB (4x4) part number after reprogramming is complete by selecting the following from the IDS tool.
Toolbox
Powertrain
OBD Test Modes
Mode Level 9 - Vehicle Information
TCM Cal Part Number
NOTE: IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED FOR THIS PROCEDURE TO BE FULLY AFFECTIVE.

Clear TCM keep alive memory (KAM) and adaptive tables
Using IDS:
Open Toolbox
Choose Powertrain
Choose Reset KAM
Then Choose TCM
Using PDS:
Choose all Tests and Calibrations
Scroll down the menu and choose reset TCM KAM
NOTE: FOR PDS, RESET TCM KAM IS NOT THE SAME AS CLEAR TRANSMISSION ADAPTIVE TABLES, WHICH IS UNDER THE POWERTRAIN - TRANSMISSION MENU TREE.

NOTE: UNHOOKING THE BATTERY WILL NOT CLEAR THE TCM KAM. IT IS CRITICAL THAT TCM KAM BE CLEARED PRIOR TO RELEARNING THE ADAPTIVE TABLES FOR THE TRANSMISSION.

NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR THE PCM KAM.

Verify that the transmission fluid temperature (TFT) PID is above 175 °F (80 °C). If it is not at 175 °F (80 °C), drive unit approximately 3 miles (5 Km) to reach temperature.
NOTE: TFT MUST BE AT 175 °F (80 °C) OR ABOVE BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 5.

NOTE: PERFORM ADAPTIVE SHIFT STRATEGY LEARN ON LEVEL SURFACE ROAD.

Drive unit to perform adaptive shift strategy learn.
Accelerate from rest with light throttle to 15 MPH (24 Km/h), remove foot from accelerator pedal.
Brake very gently to a complete stop (allow at least six (6) seconds).
Repeat steps (a-b) five (5) times in the dealership parking lot or similar setting.
Accelerate from rest with light throttle ensuring that the 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 shifts occur at engine speeds between 1700-2000 RPM.
Continue to accelerate until you achieve 50 MPH (80 Km/h) or the 5-6 upshift.
Brake gently to a complete stop and hold foot on brake for ten seconds.
Repeat steps (d-f) three (3) times.
NOTE: SEVERAL DAYS OF DRIVING ARE REQUIRED FOR THE TRANSMISSION TO FULLY ADAPT.
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 03:52 PM

JWBFX4 is on a distinguished road

I thought there was one more but either I am wrong or I couldn't find it. But basically if you take it back to the dealer they will just reflash your truck and it will learn all over again.

This was a complaint with a lot of the newers 09's since then they have fixed it on the later production ones
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 06:50 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Good grief!

I think the follow on was something like:
1. Close one eye, while,
2. Counting slowly to 10 while holding your breath, while,
3. Standing on your left foot while twirling your right one in a clockwise direction, while,
4. Typing on your laptop keyboard, "Ford is God", while,
5. Closing your other eye.
Don't you just love the electronic age?

All kidding aside, great post, JWBFX4!

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Thu, December 17th, 2009, 11:11 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Good Find!
Thanx for posting that!
JWBFX4

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.