Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 1988 to 1996 F-150

1988 to 1996 F-150 The earlier OBD-I F-150 including the 4.9L, 5.0L, 5.8L, and 460 engines.

Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Warranty Voider

Dixie Design is on a distinguished road
Default 88 Bronco II

Hey folks, I'm going to look at a Bronco II for sale today. (Sorry wasn't really a perfect thread for this make/model/engine)

From the photos the body is mint, interior mint, but they say it will overheat and die. Could be a fix as easy as a thermostat, but I'm worried about the overheating having cracked a cylinder head, they say it's also leaking oil.

Any advise on what to look for, where to look when I check this out this afternoon? They're only asking $750 for it, thinking it might be a fun project truck. What y'all think?
Specs: 2004 4.6L SCAB | Gryphon Programmer 87 Performance | Magnaflow True Dual Exhaust - Rear Cat Delete | S&B CAI | Summit Underdrive Pulleys | Troyer eFans (ordered) | Smittybilt Bullbar | Procomp 6" Driving Lights | UWS Toolbox | Rhino Lining | Chrome Steprails | 2.5" Leveling Kit | 265/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT's
Vids: Magnaflow Startup & Revs - Interior Exhaust Sounds
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Warranty Voider

Alright, I got some more info on the truck.

Says after he drives it for 5 or 6 miles it starts acting like it's missing and eventually cuts off. Says it's leaking oil from the valve covers. Replaced the ignition control, the pickup in the distributor, and the O2 sensors, but still runs hot.

Y'all think it's something as simple as a radiator, thrmostat, or maybe a clogged cat?

I want a "project 4x4" but I'm trying to decide if it'd be too big of a project for me. What you guys think?
Specs: 2004 4.6L SCAB | Gryphon Programmer 87 Performance | Magnaflow True Dual Exhaust - Rear Cat Delete | S&B CAI | Summit Underdrive Pulleys | Troyer eFans (ordered) | Smittybilt Bullbar | Procomp 6" Driving Lights | UWS Toolbox | Rhino Lining | Chrome Steprails | 2.5" Leveling Kit | 265/70/R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT's
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 10:47 AM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

I wonder what the coolant looks like? Has he ever had it power flushed? And, I don't like valve cover leaks - that could be minor, or, major, couldn't it?

You don't say anything about the fuel filter - maybe?

Still, $750 - offer $500.

- Jack

2014 F150 Platinum SCrew 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 with SCT programmer
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM
TIT (Tuner In Training)

soutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura aboutsoutthpaw has a spectacular aura about

what bothers me about that is the fact it dies.. could be a spun crank or rod bearing. cold there is enough clearance to let it run normally but as the engine warms up and the metal parts expand it will actually cause the engine to freeze up due to friction... had the identical problem with a buddy's small block chevy...
personally that bronco II was one of the worst ford vehicle they ever made... for creating a 4x4 project you would do better with a full size bronco or a jeep cherokee or something like that ... they can also be had in running condition for that money
Projects. 1970's Hustler and Max II Amphibious ATV's
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Double Whopper

Buckeyes903 is on a distinguished road

If you have time, you may want to check out
http://www.therangerstation.com

A lot of guys on there with B2's and could def help you out with ANY problem you run into with it.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Warranty Voider

Cool, appreciate all the feedback guys. The more I've researched, the more I think I'll pass on this one.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Double Whopper

Extreme Justice will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Design View Post
They're only asking $750 for it, thinking it might be a fun project truck. What y'all think?
Dixie,
I had the same Truck. One of the major problems is lack of aftermarket parts for the Bronco II. Also with the 2.8 or 2.9 V6 not a powerhouse. Also we had lot's of transmission problems. Ford replaced ours 3 times. If you want a project vehicle, go with a Jeep or even a Suzuki Samurai. Of course this is only my opinion.
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Warranty Voider

Yeah, I talked him down to $500, I'd MUCH rather a Jeep, but good luck finding one with wheels and a motor for $500 down here. My wife wasn't too keen on the idea from the start, guess I'll keep saving and wait on that Jeep to come around. Sold my 72 CJ7 over a year ago, desperate times call for desperate measures. Wish I could have gotten by without selling that one!
Old Mon, March 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

The only way I would buy it would be the 2.9 with a manual. But the 2.9 is known for piston slap over 100K.
High center roll over potential also. Better off with a jeep yj or zj, xj more parts to chose from.
$350 would be my offer for a mt.
Might be a thermostat.

Might be a head gasket.

Might be a cracked head. The miss sounds more like a cracked head.

Look at the coolant.

Look at exhaust both smoke and tail pipe.

Might be intake gaskets if no oil in coolant.

Sorry to give bad news.

Lars

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.