Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Whopper

Joatmon is on a distinguished road
Default Stock 2001 7.3 and newbe help

I have read a lot and I still like some input on this before I order.
I have a 2001 F-250 7.3 stock I like to get a Phoenix Chip and I have email Cody and I was told it come with 6 tunes but I like to know what you all recommend as for tunes?
I only use the truck to go to and from work and just looking for something with a little better fuel mileage? I know Cody said they can't guaranty better fuel mileage but I thought a few of you had done this and had some result that you don't mind sharing.
This is what I have pick out

Stock or Modified Stock
40hp Heavy Tow
80hp Daily Driver
100hp Performance
Whisper Mode
High Idle - 1,100rpm

Any input would be appreciate Thanks
Old Mon, May 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Grown-up in training!

ticopowell will become famous soon enough

I get between 15 and 17 mpg's with my tunes, I haven't driven enough to narrow it down any further. I usually try and use the 80hp or the 120hp tunes for most of my driving, and it seems like I get slightly better with the 120 as long as I keep my foot out of it. I have stock, 40, 65 w/whisper, 80 w/whisper, 120, and a no start.
I think your tunes will work fine for you, but I think getting a 120hp could help as long as you drive it nice. I generally think that to get more power I need more efficiency, so that way I get more hp per squirt of gas so I can use less gas for the same power. by this logic the 120hp tune with non-aggressive driving would get you the best gas mileage.
This may be completely wrong, and I may be thinking of gas engines, but it so far has worked for my and my driving.
Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticopowell View Post
I get between 15 and 17 mpg's with my tunes, I haven't driven enough to narrow it down any further. I usually try and use the 80hp or the 120hp tunes for most of my driving, and it seems like I get slightly better with the 120 as long as I keep my foot out of it. I have stock, 40, 65 w/whisper, 80 w/whisper, 120, and a no start.
I think your tunes will work fine for you, but I think getting a 120hp could help as long as you drive it nice. I generally think that to get more power I need more efficiency, so that way I get more hp per squirt of gas so I can use less gas for the same power. by this logic the 120hp tune with non-aggressive driving would get you the best gas mileage.
This may be completely wrong, and I may be thinking of gas engines, but it so far has worked for my and my driving.
Thanks for the info I know that know one knows for sure how any truck will do but I like the input and I put them in a hat and pull from.
Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 07:48 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatmon View Post
I have read a lot and I still like some input on this before I order.
I have a 2001 F-250 7.3 stock I like to get a Phoenix Chip and I have email Cody and I was told it come with 6 tunes but I like to know what you all recommend as for tunes?
I only use the truck to go to and from work and just looking for something with a little better fuel mileage? I know Cody said they can't guaranty better fuel mileage but I thought a few of you had done this and had some result that you don't mind sharing.
This is what I have pick out

Stock or Modified Stock Unless you don't want to take the chip out anytime you need to be stock, I would use this position for a tune. I never use my stock position.
40hp Heavy Tow
80hp Daily Driver
100hp Performance
Whisper Mode you know you could combine this with any tune? I combined it with my 40 tow tune. It idles low, but as soon as you push the gas, everything runs as usual.High Idle - 1,100rpm

Any input would be appreciate Thanks
Just a couple suggestions if you want 2 more slots for some more tunes. Its very little trouble removing the chip to make the stock. Just pull the key out of the ignition, then pull the chip out of the PCM. Make sure that you have cut out a hole big enough for this.

Also, pulling the chip in and out...the sharp solder joints on the chip have scratched my circuit traces a good bit (but still making connection). I put some liquid tape on these joints so they aren't sharp.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx

Last edited by rammertide07; Tue, May 8th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Whopper

Thanks Rammertide07 I have not look at that but thanks for the input and I will re look at it
Old Tue, May 8th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Whopper

I'm looking at maybe doing a intake mod will that change my chip from standard to and mod
Old Wed, May 9th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Whopper

OK I will do my intake and I hope my exhaust then I get a chip but still don't know if that will be a $295 chip or a $445 chip after I do this?
Old Wed, May 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Look on the right side of the Phoenix product page....red words describing heavy modifications. If you have none of those, then you go under lightly modified.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Wed, May 9th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Whopper

Thanks I'm sorry I missed that thanks