Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, October 23rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
Whopper Junior

Kronic is on a distinguished road
Default Mods/tuning

I know this has been beat to death over the years, but there are also millions of combinations out there as well. I'll start with history on the truck:

2002 7.3L, 385000 KM, was bone stock when I bought it at 311000 KM, drove for a year then added all the mods below (i also have gauges already). I use the truck as a DD, tow, work, family etc. Due to my job I end up pulling more than the average person through lots of conditions. What I have run into is high EGT's (I back out at 1200 deg. to keep the engine from burning up). So I'm planning on adding water meth this spring to help with the EGT issue. I also would like to add a Phoenix chip to it was well. Now another note I do not know when/if the injectors have been changed. The truck runs great, but i have noticed it starting to idle a little rougher lately (possibly lazy injector). So if I have to change out injectors I'll more than likely go stage 2 single shots as well.

Any input on this combo for what I'm doing.

Also I don't race, sled pull, mud bog or anything like that, been there done that, don't need to anymore LOL,

Kronic
Old Tue, October 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
Whopper Junior

PS would like to be 350+ HP as a final goal. I know what I have mentioned so far more than likely won't get me there.

Kronic
Old Tue, October 23rd, 2012, 09:24 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

If you're running into high EGT now, you better find out what the problem is before you start adding more fuel.....because EGT only goes up from here.
Old Wed, October 24th, 2012, 07:18 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Yea, what he said. IIRC, I have a hard time hitting 1000* in stock. As for a rough start/Idle, does it get better as the truck becomes warmer? Is the truck plugged up? Reason I ask, it could be from cold thick oil. Many diesel owners switch to lighter and/or synthetic oil for this reason. Before you get to that hp, you will need to beef up the transmission....now or later. Make sure you EBPV is open all the way. It being slightly closed will cause higher EGT's.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx
Old Wed, October 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Whopper Junior

I have been running 5W40 full synthetic on it, just serviced it though so we'll see if it makes a difference. Truck hasn't been plugged in yet this winter, it has been getting colder but anything below -10C I plug it in. Its not as bad once it warms up.

EGT issue is only when I'm pulling a hill loaded. Empty I couldn't even get close to 1200. Cruising on flat ground with a trailer usually sits at 800F, without trailer 600F. It does take a good hill to hit 1200F with a trailer behind.

Kronic
Old Thu, October 25th, 2012, 08:44 AM
God & Guns

rammertide07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronic View Post
I have been running 5W40 full synthetic on it, just serviced it though so we'll see if it makes a difference. Truck hasn't been plugged in yet this winter, it has been getting colder but anything below -10C I plug it in. Its not as bad once it warms up.

EGT issue is only when I'm pulling a hill loaded. Empty I couldn't even get close to 1200. Cruising on flat ground with a trailer usually sits at 800F, without trailer 600F. It does take a good hill to hit 1200F with a trailer behind.

Kronic
Empty and cruising EGT's sound normal. I don't pull anymore and deffinately dont have hills around here.
01 F350 7.3 4x4 CC SRW/3.73/315-75-16/Aeroforce Interceptor/BD Thruster II/ Bellowed Up-Pipes/4" turbo back exhaust/CCV Mod/DIY 6637/FPR Shimmed to 65 PSI/TS chip reburned with PHP tunes (Stock, 40T WITH Whsiper tune, 80DD, 100R, 140Ex, 140SS)/Replaced and Cleaned EBPS & Tube 4-6-12/Zoodad mod/Recon smoked cab lights/MM Hubs/Cowl Hood/HPx