Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, July 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Whopper

beamer is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension needs on Excursion for heavy towing

Just curious what is recommended for me to tow a very rare occasion of a 11-12K weight trailer?

Mechanical for power is there, I believe with my 00 EX 7.3 w/ gryphen CTS, 4" MBRP turbo back w/ muffler, AFE Stage II cold air and a BTS trans valve body upgrade cooled by a 31 row 6.0 cooler.

Looking to tow in October from S GA to Bowling Green, KY and back for a car event and want to feel comfort that the suspension is felt to be good to go. I was advised to get air bags for the rear and that Firestone sell an adequate set. What pressures do I run with these? I am sure more than I do in my race cars, lol...

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Race and Show Buicks include:
1972 Buick Suncoupe GS Stage1 455
1987 Buick Regal T, 3.8L Turbo
Old Wed, July 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

Robert6401 is on a distinguished road

Check out Roadmaster Active Suspension. They are really popular amongst all the Excursion owners I know that tow regularly. I tried a set on my truck and they worked extremely well. They are also a set it and forget it addition, with no need for airing up and down. Once you install them you are done. The truck handled better both loaded and unloaded with them installed. Here's a link:

Roadmaster Active Suspension, rear leaf spring suspension, simple installation, improve road handling, reduce sway, reduce dangerous body roll on cornering, eliminate bottoming out, eliminate wheel hop, eliminate axle wrap, strengthen the rear leaf s

and:

Riffraff Diesel: Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit

I highly reccomend them.

2003 F250 Lariat 7.3PSD CC SB FX4

Kwik (6637) Filter, RE 2.5" leveling kit, F350 Rear Blocks, TC Lock, Fumoto, EBPV/Exhaust Brake,6.0 Tranny Cooler, AIH Delete, IssPro EV2 Gauges, PHP Phoenix stock, 25tow, 40tow, 65tow, 80dd, 100perf, In-tank mods, Muffler Delete, WW, FRx,HPx, JW Stage 1 Trans, Swamps HV/HF IDM
-Pulling a 38' Forest River Sierra 5th Wheel
Old Thu, July 7th, 2011, 07:01 PM
EVERYDAY HUSTLER

Lowdown89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert6401 View Post
Check out Roadmaster Active Suspension. They are really popular amongst all the Excursion owners I know that tow regularly. I tried a set on my truck and they worked extremely well. They are also a set it and forget it addition, with no need for airing up and down. Once you install them you are done. The truck handled better both loaded and unloaded with them installed. Here's a link:

Roadmaster Active Suspension, rear leaf spring suspension, simple installation, improve road handling, reduce sway, reduce dangerous body roll on cornering, eliminate bottoming out, eliminate wheel hop, eliminate axle wrap, strengthen the rear leaf s

and:

Riffraff DiesRoadmaster Active Suspension Kit

I highly reccomend them.
I hate that with all the great things I hear about them they won't work with a dually!
Old Thu, July 7th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Whopper

beamer is on a distinguished road

These do look like they are what is needed for my circumstance.

I may be at the age of a mid-life crisis, but I don't want to look like it with a super monster skittle ! (My sons high school band refers to the EX as the monster skittle, being a purplish color and all, LOL).

Mike

Race and Show Buicks include:
1972 Buick Suncoupe GS Stage1 455
1987 Buick Regal T, 3.8L Turbo
Old Mon, August 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
PHP Tuned and Vegistroked

Location: Highland, NY in Ulster County (Hudson Valley / Catskills Region)
muns53 is on a distinguished road

If you look on some of the diesel forums for "CaryT" he has some recommendations. Basically, X-code springs (from an F250) in the front, modified B-code springs (from an F250/350) in the rear and specially valved Bilstein 5100's all the way around. The modification to the rear B-code spring pack is to reuse the Excursion spring spacers (the truck springs just have a small, flat piece of foil/metal inbetween them), remove the top overload spring from the B-code pack and then add the smallest two Excursion springs back to the pack. The other piece is to add a rear sway bar or to upgrade the current rear sway bar if you already have one. Folks generally choose either the aftermarket Hellwig piece or the 30mm F250/350 piece.

For my Ex, I'm waiting for my V/B-codes to come it and I have the Bilsteins from CaryT already. I can't add the Hellwig bar because it doesn't fit with my undercarriege supplemental fuel tank. So, I'm hoping the Ford 30mm piece will fit because it mounts to the axle differently.

Other folks swear by adding traction bars or radius rods to the rear suspension. Other folks have installed the Timbren overload pieces (look like oversized bump stops) and are very happy.

Good luck! Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old Sun, August 7th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Spark Plug Inhibited

Jeremy is on a distinguished road

muns53 is right on.

I used the "X" code springs(F-450) and the rears off a 05 F-250 "F" codes, the 30mm rear sway bar, and caryt's bilsteins shocks. It made a huge difference. My Ex sits level and rides and handles so much better.

Look him up, its worth ever penny.
00 F-350 7.3, 12 Speed, PHP Gryphon, PHP hydra, DAC3
95 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, Auto, Mechanics Truck
94 F-Superduty 7.3 DI, 5 speed, Flatbed
Old Wed, February 29th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Whopper Junior

WVOEX is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns53 View Post

I can't add the Hellwig bar because it doesn't fit with my undercarriege supplemental fuel tank. So, I'm hoping the Ford 30mm piece will fit because it mounts to the axle differently.

Muns,

Just curious, did you ever try the 30mm Ford sway bar and did it work? I also have a WVO system, tried the Hellwig and no dice. I have a big Racor 1000FH filter housing on mine and it's in the way of the Hellwig. I'd be very curious to know if the 30mm worked for you.

My Ex needs serious help with the wander issue. I've replaced everything up front, sway bar bushings, drag links, steering box, ball joints, etc. I've added RAS. Now I'm thinking I may have to try the V/B code spring swap.