Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford F-150, Expedition, Navigator, Blackwood, Mark-LT, SVT Lightning and H-D Editions > 2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT

2004 to 2008 F-150 and Mark-LT 4.2L, 4.6L and 5.4L equipped F-150s and Mark-LTs

Old Thu, January 14th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Baconator

BlackSTX is on a distinguished road

I considered the obvious effect of the cooler air being denser, which is the very reason I wanted to see what improvement could be had.
Now if there is anyway to keep these temps during the summer, that would be a nice bonus.

One note everyone should consider for winter roads. If you have your shift firmness all the way up, watch for a sudden loss of traction if you're accelerating hard. I have experienced it a couple times already, temps in the teens or lower + cold tires = wheel spin (and instant fish tailing ). It didn't catch me totally off guard, though I was a bit surprised that I was shifting that hard; I usually don't feel it even when the roads have been slush covered.
Let's have a safe winter!

Current mods: AEM Bruteforce CAI, Magnaflow SI/DO, Gryphon-87 & 93 tunes, Harley head lamps, tinted windows, lower grille filler, and FX2 lower valance.
Old Thu, January 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
PHP Groupie

Location: Among Elk, Deer and Javalinas on the Mogollon Rim in Aridzona
Jackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to allJackpine is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot270 View Post
Jack's got a good point. But I have also noticed that my truck runs different when they make the switch. I also remember Bill recommending to someone who was having trouble to run 91 tune even though there was 87 in the tank. Maybe they mix the winter stuff to resemble the higher grade fuels.
The "switch" though, comes ahead of the really cold temps for most of us. I still maintain that because of the increased density of the cold fuel, that you are getting more energy out of it per injector shot (which controls volume only) than you do at warmer temperatures, even though it's a "winter blend".

Here in Tucson, they used to blend in MTB? (or something like that) to reduce the Carbon Monoxide (CO) emissions in the winter. Yes, it seemed to hurt mileage. I don't think they use that stuff anymore, since they found it had a cancer causing link, but they DO "oxygenate" the fuel with some additive.

I don't think Bill was saying they actually blend winter fuels to resemble higher octane stuff, I think he just said that the colder overall temps reduced the volatility, which is really what octane is all about (how easily the fuel will "flash ignite"). High octane fuel is simply less "explosive", as is "cold" gas.

Oh, and BlackSTX - GOOD post on winter traction! We don't want any of our members ending up nose into a tree!

- Jack
Old Thu, April 22nd, 2010, 05:16 PM
Whopper

Jeb is on a distinguished road

well how are the runs now that winter is over. for me, here in south louisiana, it has already reached 85F. i received my programmer yesterday and did a few runs today with it.

best 0-60 was 9.12s. that was with 87T and WOT set to 5000rpm, WOT Fuel set to 1.8%, and Shift set to 25.

best 1/4 mile was 16.5 sec at 85mph. that was 93P with settings same as above.

i have 2008 SCrew. mods are Gryphon Programmer and K&N CAI. I also have 87 octane in the tank now. its 75% full, so i have to burn this tank and retest the 93P settings again. i am running canned tunes. i will get custom tunes as my mods change. i am looking into exhaust (headers and cat-back), elec. fans, and underdrive pullies. that should really let the engine breathe.
Old Thu, April 22nd, 2010, 06:13 PM
Forum Predator

Longshot270 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb View Post
well how are the runs now that winter is over. for me, here in south louisiana, it has already reached 85F. i received my programmer yesterday and did a few runs today with it.

best 0-60 was 9.12s. that was with 87T and WOT set to 5000rpm, WOT Fuel set to 1.8%, and Shift set to 25.

best 1/4 mile was 16.5 sec at 85mph. that was 93P with settings same as above.

i have 2008 SCrew. mods are Gryphon Programmer and K&N CAI. I also have 87 octane in the tank now. its 75% full, so i have to burn this tank and retest the 93P settings again. i am running canned tunes. i will get custom tunes as my mods change. i am looking into exhaust (headers and cat-back), elec. fans, and underdrive pullies. that should really let the engine breathe.
I would go back to your custom tune and take the WOT fuel down to about 1.4, anything over 1.5 is just wasting gas most of the time. I have mine set to 1.35 for the WOT fuel but since you have a CAI I'd go a little higher(try playing with 1.4-1.5).
Do you have the 5.4 and 4wd? You have a little bit heavier cab but even I run 16.1 every time on the 1/4 with highway (3.55) gears and plenty of weight for the brush guard and tool box type of stuff. I also have the 4.6L under the hood.
Old Fri, April 23rd, 2010, 11:06 PM
Whopper

Jeb is on a distinguished road

i have the 5.4l 2wd
Old Fri, April 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

Was messing with mine the other day since I am awaiting custom tune for my Gryphon, hopefully I will see the difference.

5.4L 2wd
I got: K&N CAI, Borla Exhaust, and the Gryphon set to tow tune

1/4 time: 15.68 with 1.2 reaction time(yea horrible reaction)
That was just leaving it in drive and taking the O/D off... so I haven't even tried sport shifting it yet.
Hoping to run low 15s when I bring it to the track... 15.2 to be exact.
Old Fri, April 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Forum Predator

I dont think shifting from 1-2-3 will improve your time any because the manual 1st has a throttle postion distortion so the pedal on the floor will not have as much power as the regular pedal on the floor. I think the manual shift also takes a hair longer. I've found that once you know where your WOT shift points are by speed/sound you wait for it to get close then let off for the shift then get back on it. Is this on 87,91 or 93?
Old Fri, April 30th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Bacon King

cajunboy2208 is on a distinguished road

That is one thing I did not mention... it is 87, SHELL!
That is the only gas I put in my baby.
Old Fri, April 30th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Forum Predator

Yeah, I've been running shell lately because they are only 1 cent more than the cheapest gas station for 30 miles(still $2.75 though ). I get better power and about 15% increase in mileage compared to the others. Next best stuff is from an HEB, I also get good mileage on that even though the power isn't quite as good.
Old Sat, May 1st, 2010, 06:52 AM
SENIOR MODERATOR

88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light88Racing is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot270 View Post
Yeah, I've been running shell lately because they are only 1 cent more than the cheapest gas station for 30 miles(still $2.75 though ). I get better power and about 15% increase in mileage compared to the others. Next best stuff is from an HEB, I also get good mileage on that even though the power isn't quite as good.
$2.90 for 87oct straight gas here.

God doesn't have a Facebook but he's my friend.
God doesn't have a twitter, but I follow him.