Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, October 25th, 2010, 06:28 AM
EVERYDAY HUSTLER

Lowdown89 is on a distinguished road
Default Ok I'm stumped!

Hey guys I posted this over on the .org but after 37 views I didn't get any answers so I figured I would ask here

Ok guys here goes My 01 f350 is having a problem starting, if I let the truck sit overnight and go to start it I turn the key wait for the WTS light to go off and try to fire it up usually it fires right up but if you don't rev it a few times as soon as you start it it will cut off and it takes quite a few tries of cranking to get it to start back... Well the past few days when I go to start it, it's getting harder and harder to start. Well after you start it the truck runs rough for maybe 30 secs then it smooths out, now after it starts and warms up you can cut the truck off and it will fire right back up. Tonight I started the truck up and it ran for maybe 20 secs and cut off and it took me around 5 minutes to get it to start well once it started I drove it about for about 10 minutes and cut the truck off and let it sit for about 5 minutes and it took a while to crank but once it did it ran fine, now Over the past year and half I have rebuilt the IPR(but havnt replaced it), installed a new ICP sensor, new CPS, recently changed the fuel filter, and installed new glow plug relay, 2 years ago I replaced the injectors and glow plugs and under valve cover harness. I'm just at a loss, could it be my hpop going bad? Weak fuel pump? I just really wanna be able to get in this thing and have it start every time like it should
Old Mon, October 25th, 2010, 10:34 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Check your HPO reservoir level after the rig sits overnight.

Do this by pulling the plug in the top of the HPO reservoir, should be a 5mm allen, I think.

It should be roughly an inch from the top, if it is lower you have a leak(internal). This could be cause by injector 0-Rings(upper), HPOP front seal, or HPOP mounting gasket.
Old Mon, October 25th, 2010, 12:53 PM
EVERYDAY HUSTLER

Ok will do, I hope it's not the injector o-rings, I really dont wanna have to pull the injectors out again lol but knowing my luck.... That's what it will be...I have noticed a small drop of oil probably the size of a quarter after letting it sit for 5-6 hours, I have looked and other than it being a little damp with oil around my drain plug I can't seem to find anything wonder if that has something to do with it, if the hpop is leaking externally I should be able to see it in the valley shouldn't I?
Old Mon, October 25th, 2010, 05:17 PM
BROKE

Yup, it will be laying in the valley, and when that fills up it will drain down the back of the engine and out the "inspection cover" weep hole.

Good Luck!
Old Mon, October 25th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

epowers777 is on a distinguished road

I had this same issue before I rebuilt my fuel bowl. Actually my heater plug for the fuel bowl would fall off due to broken clips the truck would crank over alot and was hard to start. I rebuilt the fuel bowl and put a piece of paper on the plug to keep it from falling out. Just a suggestion .
Old Mon, November 15th, 2010, 08:14 PM
EVERYDAY HUSTLER

Just wanted to share with you guys that I have seemed to cure my hard start problem with a new LPOP, now I still have a leak that's causing puddling in the engine valley but the truck now starts better than it has ever started before... As soon as the WTS light goes off it fires right up now no rough running no cutting off just starts and runs like it should
Old Mon, November 15th, 2010, 08:41 PM
BROKE

WOW.......great to hear you got it figured out.
Old Tue, November 16th, 2010, 02:44 AM
EVERYDAY HUSTLER

Yeah me to! lol I got all the parts to hopefully fix my fuel leak from dieselorings.com and if all my leaks stop after that I can get back to modding the truck!