Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Sun, June 20th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Whopper Junior

Seven-Point-Three is on a distinguished road
Default Early '99 pcm- swap it or no

Allright, I have an early '99 7.3l F250 and am wondering if I should swap the pcm out for one from a late '99, 2000, 2001 truck? Some people says it really improves how the truck runs. I am planning to get a PHP chip in the future, so would a chip make the swap obslete? Need some info to steer me in the right direction

Thanks
Nolan
Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 09:20 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

It's a noticeable improvement going from an E99 PCM to a 99.5-01 PCM regardless of what the later PCM code is.

However, if you're not into hauling things or racing, you probably won't notice a whole lot short of changed torque converter clutch apply strategies.

You can't go wrong by changing the PCM though so if it's something you want to try, then by all means go for it. I have swapped a few of them over and was told that it was the best modification that I did.
Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Whopper Junior

Seven-Point-Three is on a distinguished road

Is there someone involved with diesel performance that you can buy a later pcm from or should I just look around?
Old Mon, June 21st, 2010, 01:09 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Is your truck CA emissions? If not, you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding a PCM.
If it is a CA truck, I can only wish you luck. We can reflash the PCM if it is or isn't depending on what you have and what you come up with as far as a used PCM goes.

In all actuality, ebay has always been my friend and as long as you know what you're looking for, you can usually get them for a hundred bucks or so.

The other option is NAPA. I think the last one I bought was $189...you just have to give your old one to them. It won't be a "fair" trade, but they won't know the difference. I'm not condoning being dishonest, but if you order a PCM from them, make sure you get the "DPC-422".