Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Whopper

scotte is on a distinguished road
Default New to 7.3 with a few questions.

First let me say I have searched and researched all the diesel related forums I can find and have found some great info. I still have a few questions. I just bought a 99 F-350 SRW CCLB truck this month truck has 225350 miles on it.

It has a 4" exhaust with no cat and it still has the stock air box. I have ordered a filter to do the DIY intake. Trans was rebuilt about 15K miles ago.

Is there anyway to tell if it has been programed? I assume I can pull PCM and tell if it has a chip?

What I'm looking for is driveability and better MPG with a shot of towing thrown in, getting about 15 MPG presently with minimal checking. As far a towing roughly 7 to 8000 lb max.

I would like an all in one unit with gauge screen with some custom tuning no smoke or race type tuning.

Thanks for looking.
Scott
Old Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 10:23 AM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

If you're looking for an all in one gauge unit with aftermarket programming, then we offer the Edge CTS and Edge CS (re-branded as a Gryphon) and offer our own programming for them. We can do mild HP programs that are suited well to towing as well as daily driving programs that add 65-80 HP when you need it.

The programming is $25 per tune for a stock truck. We no longer offer alternate standard tunes unfortunately.

To check for a chip, simply pull the PCM out and inspect the rear of the PCM. There should either be a hole and a flat edge of a circuit board showing or there will be a black plastic cover about 1" x 2.75" . If there is an open hole with no chip protruding or there is a cover over the hole in the PCM, you don't have a chip.

Not to say that the truck hasn't been reflashed, but there is no chip in it. You CANNOT use a flash programmer such as the CTS/CS with a chip installed without ruining the PCM.....so make SURE that there isn't a chip connected to the PCM.

Here is a picture of the PCM case by the parking brake assembly. You will need a 7mm socket to pull the case bracket off and a 10mm socket to pull the PCM connector off.

Here are some instructions for you:

http://gopowerhungry.com/manuals/Int...per%20Duty.pdf
Old Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Whopper

Default Thanks

I will pull the PCM this evening and check. Thank you
Old Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Whopper

Default Ok

I went out to just look and make sure I could find everything and looking under the hood on the fire wall I found a cable that had EDGE Products on it braded line that goes to the drivers side exhaust manafold down pipe. I assume a gauge line with sending unit. I will pull PCM later to check.

Last edited by scotte; Mon, August 23rd, 2010 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 03:03 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

cleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to allcleatus12r is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
on the fire wall I found a cable that had EDGE Products on it braded line that goes to the drivers side exhaust manafold down pipe. I assume a gauge line with sending unit.
It sounds like at some point it either had an Edge Juice module or an Evolution programmer installed.
Old Mon, August 23rd, 2010, 07:13 PM
Whopper

Default Ok

Pull PCM black plastic cover on the back of it. So no chip. I wrote down all of the info off of the PCM. Ok I think I would be interested in a Gryphon CS. I want to be able to see the important temps and pressure on screen as well as increase driveability and MPG. My goal would is 12 to 14 MPG pulling my 5000 lb camper and 18 to 20 on the HWY. Will the Gryphon take care of the transmission as well?
I'm running 285/75/16 tires with D1 rear axel code 3.73 and the best I can tell from looking everything else seems stock. Also PCM code NVK2 if that helps?

Thank you very much for your help.
Scott

Last edited by scotte; Mon, August 23rd, 2010 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Add code
Old Wed, August 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Whopper

Default Order

Order placed.
Old Wed, August 25th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Wil and Liam's Mom

Corey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of lightCorey Cohron RIP is a glorious beacon of light

Gotcha shipped!

Resting in Peace -
1969 - 2019
Old Wed, August 25th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Whopper

Default Yea

Thank you. Great and fast service.
Old Wed, August 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
F Your Yankee Blue Jeans

I updated the unit before it left to save you some time when you get it (20 minute upload).

When you hook it to the truck, it may take up to 2 minutes before it actually works (just some reboot stuff the programmer goes through after an update).