Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, September 7th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

fifity is on a distinguished road
Default Whats next? Ramblings...You'll learn nothing new here...

Well, My wife told me she would change the locks if I started the V10/hot rod project idea before she graduates from school ...or bought another firearm (too bad she doesn't know about the LRB M-14 on the way )

This and I am starting to get used to the power my truck has...So whats next?

I have just a pretty plain truck. 2002 7.3 with an intake, turbo back exhaust and the upgraded Injector controller thingy..oh and of course my 6 pos chip

Will bolting on a 38r do me any good without retuning? or would I have to get it retuned?

Would I find more juice with an Adrenaline for half the money? Need retuning?

Injectors are pricey...but I can always save up and get something in December...

Its either some go faster parts or converting my dually to a srw...new wheels and tires, and a bit of body work on the bed...That might save me a mpg though? Maybe not, cause I would try to go with 35's...or 37's....how much of a lift would I need.

How would I convert the speedo for the bigger wheels...

Bored at home...this is what two days off in a row will do to me...plans and plans...
Old Tue, September 7th, 2010, 11:54 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifity View Post

Will bolting on a 38r do me any good without retuning? or would I have to get it retuned?

Your current tuning will work even better with the 38R, and no changes should need to be made.

Would I find more juice with an Adrenaline for half the money? Need retuning?

There might be a few minor changes that need to be made to the tuning to get the full potential out of the pump, but most likely you will notice a big difference (without any tuning changes) especially if you pump is getting weak.

Injectors are pricey...but I can always save up and get something in December...

Injectors are the next big jump for increasing power, but you must have the supporting mods first.

Its either some go faster parts or converting my dually to a srw...new wheels and tires, and a bit of body work on the bed...That might save me a mpg though? Maybe not, cause I would try to go with 35's...or 37's....how much of a lift would I need.

6''-8'' lift will clear 37's nicely. You can fit 35's with just a little valence trimming and a leveling kit.

How would I convert the speedo for the bigger wheels...

Superlift Truespeed
See Blue.
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM

The voice of reason responds!!!

Thanks Dave, you just really did not help me figure out whats next

Just kidding. 38r or pump next?

I am leaning towards pump because I can feel the truck fall flat on its face when I floor it for a long acceleration and it gets around 2700 rpm...

If I am at 2600 and floor it, it will scoot for a bit. Does this mean its running out of oil to push fuel or am I just imagining things and running out of usable rpms?
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
BROKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifity View Post
Just kidding. 38r or pump next?

BOTH!

I am leaning towards pump because I can feel the truck fall flat on its face when I floor it for a long acceleration and it gets around 2700 rpm...

If I am at 2600 and floor it, it will scoot for a bit. Does this mean its running out of oil to push fuel or am I just imagining things and running out of usable rpms?
Pretty much the nature of the beast. You are running out of usable time to inject fuel (slow stock injectors), HPOP is about out of steam, and turbo has nothing left in it.

IMHO if you are seriously considering upgrading injector's to singles, the turbo would be a better upgrade as the singles require less oil than the stock splits will.

FWIW after I blew a HPOP line with my 238/100, I put a stock 17* in place of my twin Stealths and could not really tell the difference. But with stock injectors the Stealths made a very noticeable difference, engine just felt way smoother and pulled a bit harder up top.

Have you done any testing on your HPOP to see how healthy it is?
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM

"Have you done any testing on your HPOP to see how healthy it is? "

Nope, wouldnt know how to even...
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 07:03 PM
BROKE

Any CEL in your hottest program?
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM

Nope, no cel's....
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM
BROKE

It is probably safe to say that the HPOP is not too bad then.

Do you have access to a scanner that can view the ICP PID?
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Nope...I dont even know what that is...
Old Wed, September 8th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Tuner novice

F-127 is on a distinguished road

PID is parameter ID, don't feel bad, I knew what was meant but I had to look up what the "meaning" was. A scanner to read the ICP PID would just be used so you could monitor the Injection control pressure to see how it does performing while driving. ICP must not be dropping enough to set the code, but it could be say below average or doing well. It'd give a little more accurate condidtion of your HPOP.