Power Hungry Performance Forum  

Go Back   Power Hungry Performance Forum > Ford Super Duty & Excursion > 1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

1999 to 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel equipped Super Duty and Excursion

Old Tue, September 14th, 2010, 07:08 AM
Whopper

O SEA D is on a distinguished road
Default Pcm bracket

I have heard that some people are cutting the back out of their PCM brackets to allow easy access to their chips and would like to hear other peoples thoughts on doing this.
If any one has done this and has photos of it I would really like to see em.
Old Tue, September 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

Pretty crappy cut done by the previous owner..........but works fine.

Old Tue, September 14th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Whopper

Thanks for the reply Dave.
I had a closer look at my PCM bracket today and noticed that the bracket can be removed without taking the PCM out of the truck.
Due to the placement of the PCM on our Aussie trucks and the risk of knocking the exposed chip I think I will leave the bracket as is and just remove the two 7mm bolts and slide the bracket out if I want to reburn my FU chip.
Haven't got the chip yet, but just want to be ready for it when it gets here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0693.JPG (156.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0694.JPG (166.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0695.JPG (159.7 KB, 27 views)
Old Tue, September 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM
BROKE

907DAVE will become famous soon enough

WOW......that is different!

Never seen one mounted that way before.
Old Sat, September 18th, 2010, 03:21 AM
Double Whopper

AussieOiler is on a distinguished road
Question Aussie PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O SEA D View Post
Thanks for the reply Dave.
I had a closer look at my PCM bracket today and noticed that the bracket can be removed without taking the PCM out of the truck.
Due to the placement of the PCM on our Aussie trucks and the risk of knocking the exposed chip I think I will leave the bracket as is and just remove the two 7mm bolts and slide the bracket out if I want to reburn my FU chip.
Haven't got the chip yet, but just want to be ready for it when it gets here.
G'day Mate,
I've been lookin' at doing the same thing, but I'm not quite at that point due to wanting to finish other mods.
I'm very interested to see how you go about this.
A couple of questions, when ordering a Chip or Gryphon there is a requirement to submitt the PCM Model/Serial numbers.
Q1: Have pulled the PCM to lift these numbers?
Q2: Is there any need on our RHD models because by just removing the easily accessable bracket they can be seen??

I've had an Evo 2 in my Ftruck for some time now and have been 'sorta' happy with it. It works even better in conjunction with the JWVB that I recently installed.
Of course I returned the Evo 2 to stock settings before the VB install because I'd been running the shift firmness setting on the No+6 setting.
If I'd have left this electronic setting with the JWVB installed it would have jerked the milk out of my coffee.
But I run her for 50km in stock and noticed better shifts than with an OEM VB.
But when I stopped her and programmed it on the Tow Safe +40Hp setting it really did make a difference. Shifts quicker and has a real nice 'clunk' feel as the gears change.
Nothing radical just nice truck like shifts. I also fitted the RiffRaff Fuel Rail Cross Over (RRFx) at the same time.
Now; Why I'm interested in what your doing mate, is that I believe that I can't any longer send in my EVO2 to be upgraded to a Gryphon (not a 100% sure, but I think that's now the case).
If that is indeed the case, I'm in two minds as to either just purchase a Gryphon CS/CTS with a couple of customs,or:
Leave the Evo2 in (Set to Stock Tunning) to continue to read EOT, TFT, Boost & EGTs and put in an FU Chip.
Not sure if this is doable or even doable but not advisable (some boffin will chime in a set me straight for sure..please).
So please keep us updated on how it all turns out mate.
Out of interest, what weight is the Ftruck? What weight are you normally pulling around? What size tyres? What mods have you done in order to get the best out of a PHP Chip?
How much of this did you take into account for ordering your FU Chip tunes?
Sorry about all the questions and being a little long winded, but your the only Aussie 'pioneer' I've been able to locate going for a PHP item.
Cheers, Reg
[/SIGPIC] Aussie 2005(US 2003)F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr PS: AIS Intake,Zoodad,Cowl Hood,AIH delete,DIY CCV,PHP FU2 Chip,RiffRaff FRx,HPx & OCR,BTM Exhaust,HD rear spring set,Front leveler spring, Dual Tower shocks front,Tough Dog Damper,ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler+OEM Cooler, BD Deep Pan,JWVB,Long Range Fuel Tank,Edge Evo2,VMS In Dash Nav. GVM(GVWR)Upgraded to 5,000k(LT Rated F350+).
Old Sat, September 18th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Triple Whopper with Cheese

cj45lc is on a distinguished road

o sea d, I just took a look at mine & I believe your gonna have to cut the bracket a little because the chip sticks out just a little. Plus the cable is right there also. I put a piece of duct tape over my chip, some say this is not required but makes me feel better, & wire tied the cable right above the pcm - don't want any oh ohs. Hope this makes sense & I don't believe you'll be disappointed with PHP tunes, I'm real satisfied with mine.
Old Sat, September 18th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Whopper

G'day Reg I am out in the boat for a couple of days will reply properly in the next day or so.
Scott
Old Sat, September 18th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Double Whopper

Default Aussie PCM

G'day Scott,
No worries mate. You just enjoy that fishin'... it might just be a job to you ... but it's still 'fishin'. Besides most of us would swap our offices/workplace for yours
I'm at sea myself for the next 6 weeks. So you just take it easy and get around to it when you can.
Although I'm livin' in SA now, I'm originally from QLD. Born in Gympie and raised in Imbil. Trust me the fishin' is better up there.

Fair winds and a following sea to ya mate,
Reg.
[/SIGPIC] Aussie 2005(US 2003)F-250 SD 4x4 7.3Ltr PS: AIS Intake,Zoodad,Cowl Hood,AIH delete,DIY CCV,PHP FU2 Chip,RiffRaff FRx,HPx & OCR,BTM Exhaust,HD rear spring set,Front leveler spring, Dual Tower shocks front,Tough Dog Damper,ARB Air Lockers Front & Rear,V10 Tranny cooler+OEM Cooler, BD Deep Pan,JWVB,Long Range Fuel Tank,Edge Evo2,VMS In Dash Nav. GVM(GVWR)Upgraded to 5,000k(LT Rated F350+).
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Whopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieOiler View Post
G'day Mate,
I've been lookin' at doing the same thing, but I'm not quite at that point due to wanting to finish other mods.
I'm very interested to see how you go about this.
A couple of questions, when ordering a Chip or Gryphon there is a requirement to submitt the PCM Model/Serial numbers.
Q1: Have pulled the PCM to lift these numbers?
Q2: Is there any need on our RHD models because by just removing the easily accessable bracket they can be seen??

I've had an Evo 2 in my Ftruck for some time now and have been 'sorta' happy with it. It works even better in conjunction with the JWVB that I recently installed.
Of course I returned the Evo 2 to stock settings before the VB install because I'd been running the shift firmness setting on the No+6 setting.
If I'd have left this electronic setting with the JWVB installed it would have jerked the milk out of my coffee.
But I run her for 50km in stock and noticed better shifts than with an OEM VB.
But when I stopped her and programmed it on the Tow Safe +40Hp setting it really did make a difference. Shifts quicker and has a real nice 'clunk' feel as the gears change.
Nothing radical just nice truck like shifts. I also fitted the RiffRaff Fuel Rail Cross Over (RRFx) at the same time.
Now; Why I'm interested in what your doing mate, is that I believe that I can't any longer send in my EVO2 to be upgraded to a Gryphon (not a 100% sure, but I think that's now the case).
If that is indeed the case, I'm in two minds as to either just purchase a Gryphon CS/CTS with a couple of customs,or:
Leave the Evo2 in (Set to Stock Tunning) to continue to read EOT, TFT, Boost & EGTs and put in an FU Chip.
Not sure if this is doable or even doable but not advisable (some boffin will chime in a set me straight for sure..please).
So please keep us updated on how it all turns out mate.
Out of interest, what weight is the Ftruck? What weight are you normally pulling around? What size tyres? What mods have you done in order to get the best out of a PHP Chip?
How much of this did you take into account for ordering your FU Chip tunes?
Sorry about all the questions and being a little long winded, but your the only Aussie 'pioneer' I've been able to locate going for a PHP item.
Cheers, Reg
G'day Reg I was able to pull back the plastic wheel well lining to get the code off the sticker on the PCM,but after talking to Bill he said that when I plug the Edge Evolution into the OBD11 the HEX code is shown on the Programmer and that is all he needed.

I looked into having my Evolution upgraded with custom tunes but with the cost of shipping and the fact that if I wasn't happy with any of the three tunes I would have to send it back again to be reburned it just didnt seem worth it. Not to mention the amount of time I would be without the chip due to the time it takes to ship something half way around the world.

I figured that the FU chip would be the way to go because I should never have to pay for shipping or be without my chip again and if I want to heavily mod my truck I can have custom tunes burned to the chip without having to send it back to PHP.

I think that for us fella's down here in Australia the FU chip is a great idea.

I had my truck weighed and it came in at 3400kgs and the boat is 4000kgs and my tires are a standard 265 75 R16.

I opted to go with the FU because I only have minor mods to the truck including 6637 intake,muffler delete, AIH delete and the only other mods I may consider are maybe a 38R turbo as I am fairly happy with the performance already. I dont want to push things to hard in case something goes BANG, cause the price of parts down here scares me.

Scott
Old Mon, September 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Double Whopper

Default Aussie PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O SEA D View Post
G'day Reg I was able to pull back the plastic wheel well lining to get the code off the sticker on the PCM,but after talking to Bill he said that when I plug the Edge Evolution into the OBD11 the HEX code is shown on the Programmer and that is all he needed.

I looked into having my Evolution upgraded with custom tunes but with the cost of shipping and the fact that if I wasn't happy with any of the three tunes I would have to send it back again to be reburned it just didnt seem worth it. Not to mention the amount of time I would be without the chip due to the time it takes to ship something half way around the world.

I figured that the FU chip would be the way to go because I should never have to pay for shipping or be without my chip again and if I want to heavily mod my truck I can have custom tunes burned to the chip without having to send it back to PHP.

I think that for us fella's down here in Australia the FU chip is a great idea.

I had my truck weighed and it came in at 3400kgs and the boat is 4000kgs and my tires are a standard 265 75 R16.

I opted to go with the FU because I only have minor mods to the truck including 6637 intake,muffler delete, AIH delete and the only other mods I may consider are maybe a 38R turbo as I am fairly happy with the performance already. I dont want to push things to hard in case something goes BANG, cause the price of parts down here scares me.

Scott
G'day again Scott,
I figured as much from reading more on this ordering a chip that the HEX Code that is lifted by our the Evo is all that is required.
However from all accounts we need to clean those silicone coated pins real good (r) real good, so wouldn't we still need to get in there and get at that 10mm bolt holding the PCM wire loom through the firewall into the computer inside the cab so as to completely remove the PCM to ensure those pins get cleaned up proper I tried to get a look at it and it appeared to me that it was inside the HVAC covering on the engine compartment firewall The one inside the wheel arch is the IDM
So have you located this bolt?
It is very easy to get at the back of our PCM due it's location. So maybe when we lift the cover off we can clean those pins without removing the actual PCM. Have you taken a look at that yet?
Like I say I'm at sea until the end of October so I can't go out and take a look.
Just a thought mate. Wouldn't you be better off getting the FU2. I say this because (and I say this from experience) you have not started modifying your truck yet, but when you do it becomes a sickness 'Trust me!!'. The FU will allow you plenty of scope, however if you decide on any tranny mods you would 'may' need the FU2.
I stared with a few simple mods and all easily done yourself; such as AIH Delete, Donoldson AIS Intake, straight through muffler, made my own CCV & Catch can, put in a V10 Tranny cooler in series with the OEM. I've just done the RiffRaff FRx and changed the OEM VB for a John Woods VB. So on it goes.
I get all my stuff from the good ole USA and at 40 to 70% cheaper than you can get in Aussie.
Clayton Note at RiffRaff Diesel is excellent to deal with for after market and OEM parts.
If you are going to put a 6637 Intake to get more air in you need to put a good free flowing exhaust on to keep those EGTs down with the chip in.
I can put you onto a very good (easy to do yourself) straight through muffler available in Aussie if you like.
Anyway, let me know if it is easy to get at those pins
Anything I can help you with, just let me know.

Cheers, OH how was the fishin?